Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Funny reasons for dropping a guy?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Funny reasons for dropping a guy?

Have you ever dropped a player from your fantasy hockey team simply because you hated him?

I named my Dobber Entry team "From Russia with 'ov".
    During the draft, it happened that the two goalies I drafted were Ilya Bryzgalov (PHI) and Semyon Varlamov (COL). 2nd & 4th round picks.
    I was in first place from late-January to mid/late-March and then my team hit a wall.
    Mostly due to my two Russian goaltenders, Bryzgalov & Varlamov, simply putting up terrible numbers and not pulling home enough wins.
    [Oddly enough, two other Russian "OV" goaltenders went in later rounds and significantly outperformed these clowns: BobrOVsky and NabokOV. I blame bondon, we all do.]

A week ago I dropped Bryz in favour of S.Mason.
    Last night, even though there was no reason for it, with 3 days left of hockey, I dropped Varly.

I don't want either of those clowns on my end of season roster!

That's my story.
    Anybody else ever drop a guy off their roster just because they didn't want to see that player's name on their squad any more?

Dobber Sports Initiate

I've never done that, but in my one year league, after I was bounced from the playoffs, one team in the finals dropped guys that wouldn't be playing anymore (due to injury) and I added them off waivers (after the season was over) so that I'd look back on my team and think it was better than it was.

Added: Neal, Vanek, M.Smith, Moulson, Heatley, Hamhuis and Ward

2010, 2014, & 2024 WJC Pool Champion, 2020 Runner-Up

Dobber Sports Legend

You have no idea how bizarre I am when it comes to this stuff in my "darling" league. It's a keep-40 format so we basically build our teams the way we see fit and control our own destinies. I will only acquire player I "like" without exception. If I don't like a player, I refuse to have him on my team regardless of how talented he is - I traded Malkin for this very reason.

But, not only do I base my decisions on whether I like a player personally or not, but I refuse to have any Winnipeg Jets on my team because I can't stand their logo. When the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg, I traded Enstrom. About a month ago in my league's Holiday Draft, I was on the clock and the BPA was Andrew Ladd but I didn't want him because he was a Jet so I traded the pick for Nathan Horton so the other GM could draft Ladd. Yes, I know this was an awful "hockey move" but I didn't want Ladd anywhere near my locker room with that crest.

Traditionally, I don't like having many Russians on my team, and over the last 12 months or so I have tried to weed them all out. Gone are: Semin, Kuznetsov, Orlov and Voynov. The ONLY Ruskie I have right now is Tarasenko because I really like his game. I am a big fan of NA players and I love my Swedes!

The joys of owning a fantasy hockey team.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Grand Master

A couple years ago before my one-year redraft league turned in to a keeper format, after the Isles-Pens game where there were all those brawls I dropped Moulson because I hated the Islanders (I'm a huge Pens fan) and refused to have any Isles on my team for the rest of the year.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    A couple years ago before my one-year redraft league turned in to a keeper format, after the Isles-Pens game where there were all those brawls I dropped Moulson because I hated the Islanders (I'm a huge Pens fan) and refused to have any Isles on my team for the rest of the year.
    Good stuff.

I also loathe having any Preds or Jackets on my team. It kills me that Jack Johnson is a Jacket but I like him too much to bail - hoping for a trade to Detroit, NYR or Philly in the offseason.

As for the teams I like to load up on: Ottawa, St. Louis, LA, Montreal, Anaheim, Boston, Canes and Buffalo.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Giant

When I was younger (hence a long time ago), I used to get autographs from players before games in front of the arena. Back in the day, I had Jason Allison in my keeper league and during one weekend that year, the Bruins were in town to play the Habs. I had purchased a Boston jersey to get it team signed and all I needed was the elusive Allison that seemed to sneak by the day before (yes, I was outside in the cold the day before as well in order to get all the players to sign).

Long story short, on the second day, after most players had already entered the Bell Center (I think it was even called the Molson Center back then), Allison is spotted down the street, making his way to the arena to practice before the game. I get my Shapie out, place my jersey in a manner where Allison can easily (and nicely sign) and make my way up to him along with a couple of other fans. The second he saw us walking up to him, he takes out his cell phone and tucks it between his shoulder and his ear as he pulls out a banana from his pocket and begins to peel it. Once we gather around him and politely ask for an autograph, he ignores us and keeps walking. We walk a couple of steps just to ask him again and he stops, folds his phone and puts it in his pocket and says: ''Can't you guys see I'm eating a banana?!?''. I respond politely, ''Sorry Mr. Allison, I just needed your autograph to complete my jersey, can you please sign?'' He bites down on his banana, pulls out his phone (that was not ringing) and places it back between his shoulder and his ear, grabs my pen, makes a quick and quite large X right in the middle of the jersey's crest when I was clearly giving him a free spot next to the Bruins logo to sign, hands the pen to another person and slowly walks away.

Needless to say I was pissed off that he had ruined my jersey... I went online that same night and dropped him, even if he was a good contributor on my roster. Of course another manager got him off waivers a couple of days after and he ended up getting something like 90 points the following season, but I was sooo angry, I didn't want to have that douche on my team. He played a couple of years after that and then he just vanished from the hockey world.
    Last edited by Bass56; April 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Good stuff.

I also loathe having any Preds or Jackets on my team. It kills me that Jack Johnson is a Jacket but I like him too much to bail - hoping for a trade to Detroit, NYR or Philly in the offseason.

As for the teams I like to load up on: Ottawa, St. Louis, LA, Montreal, Anaheim, Boston, Canes and Buffalo.
    Agreed, I refuse to have a Pred on my team and I hate JJ in CBJ. I also in general hate having Devils and Panthers. Loading my team with EDM players was more a matter of circumstance (talent available at draft position) more than any specific affinity to the team. I hope Nail gets traded!

Dobber Sports Legend

Wow, Jason Allison sounds like a big league chump. He needs to learn a thing or two from this guy (great video, but most relevant from 4:30-6:40 mark).
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I also in general hate having Devils and Panthers.
    Oh yeah, forgot about the Panthers. My team has a ZERO PANTHER policy. Even though I like Kulikov and Huberdeau - no thanks!
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Giant

Wow, Jason Allison sounds like a big league chump. He needs to learn a thing or two from this guy (great video, but most relevant from 4:30-6:40 mark).
    Great video! I have alot more respect for Hull now. I always liked him, but this really paints a great picture of how he was back in the day, on and off the ice.

Thanks for sharing!
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Great video! I have alot more respect for Hull now. I always liked him, but this really paints a great picture of how he was back in the day, on and off the ice.

Thanks for sharing!
    A lot of the players back in the day were great. In Philly, the Flyers used to go to a bar over in South NJ called Rexy's and they would throw back beers with all the fans and never big-timed anyone. When I was a kid in 1986 Peter Zezel and Rick Tocchet were driving by one of the playgrounds where we used to play hockey, got out of their car and started playing. Hockey players in general are good guys which is why I hate when I hear stories like that Jason Allison one. As far as I'm concerned, if you are blessed enough to play professional hockey for a living, it shouldn't take much effort to spend some time making a kid's day by signing a jersey. Hell, I'd even sign for a grown man - if they could make a few extra bucks from my signature on eBay, good for them - let them take their wife and kids out to dinner with it - or maybe, just maybe, they will actually reinvest it in my team and buy tickets.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I had purchased a Boston jersey to get it team signed
    As far as I'm concerned, it serves you right.

Dobber Sports Guru

In my keeper pool, I refuse to own any Sens goalies, because then I would need to cheer for them to win. I don't mind the forwards and dmen, because they can still get points in a losing effort. But not the goalies.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

A lot of the players back in the day were great. In Philly, the Flyers used to go to a bar over in South NJ called Rexy's and they would throw back beers with all the fans and never big-timed anyone. When I was a kid in 1986 Peter Zezel and Rick Tocchet were driving by one of the playgrounds where we used to play hockey, got out of their car and started playing. Hockey players in general are good guys which is why I hate when I hear stories like that Jason Allison one. As far as I'm concerned, if you are blessed enough to play professional hockey for a living, it shouldn't take much effort to spend some time making a kid's day by signing a jersey. Hell, I'd even sign for a grown man - if they could make a few extra bucks from my signature on eBay, good for them - let them take their wife and kids out to dinner with it - or maybe, just maybe, they will actually reinvest it in my team and buy tickets.
    Very true. These men grew up idolizing other greats as well. The least they can do is give back to those who in turn idolize them!

I agree that most hockey players and athletes in general are not all like that. Heck, maybe Allison was having a bad day too (he's a douche nonetheless). I remember talking for about a half hour with PJ Stock when he was with Philly. He was by far one of the worst skaters back then, but one of the best guys in and out of the room, always making time for fans. Another player I was impressed with was Roman Ceckmanek. I had dropped my silver Sharpie on his black wool coat when he tried using it to sign a goalie stick for me. His coat was ruined for sure but he swore a bit in his native language, picked up the paint pen, nicely signed my stick and said with a big accent ''don't worry about it man!''. I remember wishing him luck for that night's game even if I hoped the Habs would wipe the ice with the Flyers...

Minors:

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, it serves you right.
    Are you a Habs fan ?

Minors: