Page 59 of 240 FirstFirst ... 9 49 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 69 109 159 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: I need a new show...

Can someone help me out. I am a TV series junkie and pound through shows. But I have watched the first 5 episodes of Mad Men and I just don't get the hype. Normally top shows can hook me pretty quick, but I just can't get hooked.

What am I missing?!?!?

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    Can someone help me out. I am a TV series junkie and pound through shows. But I have watched the first 5 episodes of Mad Men and I just don't get the hype. Normally top shows can hook me pretty quick, but I just can't get hooked.

What am I missing?!?!?
    I think Mad Men is one of the best shows out there, but it's not for those with a low attention span or need for constant action/drama/cliffhangers/twists. Not saying that's you, but if it is you might as well look elsewhere.

Dobber Sports Ninja

What am I missing?!?!?
    I experienced the same thing as you when I began watching it. Madmen is not the show for you if you're looking for instant gratification.

It's a slow burn... it gets better the longer you invest. It takes time to build the characters (who are very deep and complex). But believe me, it's worth the investment.

I think it's one of the best ever - definitely in my top 10 of all time.

Dobber Sports Stud

House of Cards Season 4... today 13 episodes!

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I experienced the same thing as you when I began watching it. Madmen is not the show for you if you're looking for instant gratification.

It's a slow burn... it gets better the longer you invest. It takes time to build the characters (who are very deep and complex). But believe me, it's worth the investment.

I think it's one of the best ever - definitely in my top 10 of all time.
    I'm not the kind of watcher that loves action all the time. I watch it all.

Some of my favorites are Suits, House of Cards, Thrones, Orange/Black, Scandal, Call Saul, Breaking Bad, Get away with Murder, Sopranos, Desperate housewives, Gossip Girl, SOA, Entourage, Lost..... This list goes on for a while.

But the two shows that I keep trying to get hooked to are Mad Men and The Wire, and I just can't get it. But I keep trying because I know they are really well written.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm not the kind of watcher that loves action all the time. I watch it all.

Some of my favorites are Suits, House of Cards, Thrones, Orange/Black, Scandal, Call Saul, Breaking Bad, Get away with Murder, Sopranos, Desperate housewives, Gossip Girl, SOA, Entourage, Lost..... This list goes on for a while.

But the two shows that I keep trying to get hooked to are Mad Men and The Wire, and I just can't get it. But I keep trying because I know they are really well written.
    Mad Men and Wire are very similar... both slow burns, but great characters and overarching story lines. The Wire took me a while too. Also didn't help that it was over a decade old by the time I started watching it... but another amazing show.

Sometimes a show just isn't for you, even though everyone else seems to love it.

I have the same kind of relationship with Mr. Robot. I forced myself to watch the entire season because it was universally praised here, but I just wasn't feeling it.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wentworth is show that people need to see. It is an amazing show, well written well acted and well directed. I discovered it earlier this year and o fell in love watched all 3 seasons in something like a week/week and a half. I am a huge fan of unpredictability and this show has it. For anyone who has watched and loved HBO's first show and the greatest show of all time OZ, will love Wentworth. I could talk for days about OZ which if you haven't seen you definitely need to, I assume you have given your catalog of shows. Which I have seen most of, I also want to say I know how you feel about the wire and mad men, just feels like nothing ever happens just sooooo sloooow. That first episode of the wire is brutal.
    Finished 2nd '09 , 3rd '10, 3rd '11, 2nd '12, 5th '13, 4th '14, 2nd '15
    16 Team Lifetime Keeper: Total Fantasy Points; Weekly Changes (Mon.) 32 Man Roster
    Dress 2 G, 6 D, 12 F

Keep 17 of 32 and Less Than 41gp Career Including Playoffs
    G=2, A=1, +/-=1, Pim=0.2
    W=4, L= -2, SO=5
    F= Parise, Marleau, Kopitar, Nichushkin ,Schwartz, Nyquist, Backes, Backstrom, Perry, Zetterberg, Thornton, Iginla, Lecavalier, Burrows, Goldobin, Jones, Petan, Virtanen, Vrana
    D= S. Weber, Gostisbehere, McDonagh, Miller, Enstrom, Girardi, Colaiacovo, Boyle, Carrick
    G= Lundqvist, Rinne
    , Tokarski

Dobber Sports Sage

Mad Men and Wire are very similar... both slow burns, but great characters and overarching story lines. The Wire took me a while too. Also didn't help that it was over a decade old by the time I started watching it... but another amazing show.

Sometimes a show just isn't for you, even though everyone else seems to love it.
    Agreed. I LOVED both of those shows but it took a while to develop. They're both top 10, all-time classics.

On a side note, I started watching Daredevil. That show is a lot of fun.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by HRM Fantasy Fan View Post
    Wentworth is show that people need to see. It is an amazing show, well written well acted and well directed. I discovered it earlier this year and o fell in love watched all 3 seasons in something like a week/week and a half. I am a huge fan of unpredictability and this show has it. For anyone who has watched and loved HBO's first show and the greatest show of all time OZ, will love Wentworth. I could talk for days about OZ which if you haven't seen you definitely need to, I assume you have given your catalog of shows. Which I have seen most of, I also want to say I know how you feel about the wire and mad men, just feels like nothing ever happens just sooooo sloooow. That first episode of the wire is brutal.
    OZ was actually the show I was about to start instead of Mad Men. But I took blayze's advise and sat down and watched episode 5 of Mad Men and really paid attention. The show is really good. I just have a bad habit of iPading or working while watching TV, and I miss stuff. I'm going to give Mad Men another 3-5 episodes.

OZ has been on the list for me for a while. It's next. Bit if anyone needs advise on shows. I've probably seen it. I have watched almost everything with a serial type plot. I just hate shows that end in an hour.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

OZ was actually the show I was about to start instead of Mad Men. But I took blayze's advise and sat down and watched episode 5 of Mad Men and really paid attention. The show is really good. I just have a bad habit of iPading or working while watching TV, and I miss stuff. I'm going to give Mad Men another 3-5 episodes.

OZ has been on the list for me for a while. It's next. Bit if anyone needs advise on shows. I've probably seen it. I have watched almost everything with a serial type plot. I just hate shows that end in an hour.
    Sounds like OZ is for you, the story lines are fantastic and there are zero limits on that show they will do anything. I have no doubt Tom Fontana had full creative control and had nothing cut or told he couldn't do that. I love that.

There are only 56 episodes and the story lines are definitely serial, as long as you are okay with the show being dated it's 4:3 and I'm not sure there is a hd version(it is almost 20 years old now...damn I'm getting old lol) you will love it. I've watched the whole series from start to finish 7 times and I love it every time! I could talk about this show forever. The very first scene in the pilot episode after the opening credits as soon as I saw that I knew I would love this show. Watch it you won't be disappointed it's way better then mad men and the wire. From what I've read about your tastes in shows we have similar tastes and I'd be shocked if you don't love HBO's first ever show

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm 5 episodes in. Good, but not great... it lacks depth. I will say I love the villain. Daredevil has this one trumped for sure.
    I'd switch these around. Jessica Jones lacks depth? It's probably the deepest any Marvel show or movie has gone into characters' motivations and behaviours. Daredevil? "They killed my dad so now I wear a costume and fight people". Sounds kinda familiar.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

The Great One

I started Mr. Robot off this thread. It hooked me in really fast. At episode 8 its slowed a bit but still very good (those first three episoides are tough to beat). No spoilers but theres a pretty obvious and huge one Im calling already- which feels funny because Im not sure youre supposed to be able to call it at this point? Anyways great reccomendation- thanks guys!

Probably interesperse some "Louie" from the comedians thread- wanted to check it out for awhile but forgot about it. Me and the GF are surprisingly picky with sitcoms- lol! Tried that Master of None from this thread too. Gave it three episodes and quit. Its not that bad- and Aziz is pretty funny on parks and rec and standup- but it just didnt reel us in. The main character is crazy shallow- which is fine I guess- but yea no sticking value (for us anyways). Im so hooked on Always Sunny its kind of ruining other comedies for me- lol!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    I'd switch these around. Jessica Jones lacks depth? It's probably the deepest any Marvel show or movie has gone into characters' motivations and behaviours. Daredevil? "They killed my dad so now I wear a costume and fight people". Sounds kinda familiar.
    The character of Matthew Murdoch has way more substance and depth than Jessican Jones in my opinion. I'm not talking about depth of overarching storylines...

Dobber Sports All-Star

It probably has been mentioned in some of the earlier posts but, Shameless is really wild and wacky. Not for the politically correct. Actually, even the politically correct have to laugh at it.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I started Mr. Robot off this thread. It hooked me in really fast. At episode 8 its slowed a bit but still very good (those first three episoides are tough to beat). No spoilers but theres a pretty obvious and huge one Im calling already- which feels funny because Im not sure youre supposed to be able to call it at this point? Anyways great reccomendation- thanks guys!

Probably interesperse some "Louie" from the comedians thread- wanted to check it out for awhile but forgot about it. Me and the GF are surprisingly picky with sitcoms- lol! Tried that Master of None from this thread too. Gave it three episodes and quit. Its not that bad- and Aziz is pretty funny on parks and rec and standup- but it just didnt reel us in. The main character is crazy shallow- which is fine I guess- but yea no sticking value (for us anyways). Im so hooked on Always Sunny its kind of ruining other comedies for me- lol!
    Aside from the Mr Robot love, I think we might have pretty similar taste. Mr Robot seems like an absolute ripoff of a few other shows/movies (Fight Club being the most obvious), so I couldn't take it seriously (I think I watched 7 or 8 episodes). I've heard that this is intentional and it's an 'homage', but come on.

I have seen all the Sunny episodes at least 5 times, and I don't think there has ever been a funnier show. Though like most shows, it seems to be on a bit of a downward spiral. The current season kinda sucks, and every joke just draws on material from past seasons. Lazy stuff, so maybe it's time this one comes to an end (as hard as it is for me to say that).

Definitely give Louie a try! It's not a 'sitcom' in the traditional sense, and I think it's possibly the most honest show ever made, if that makes any sense.