Page 50 of 240 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I'm intrigued, as I value your recommendations and I've also been looking for a show that has this kind of theme.
    But if it makes guys look dumb and helpless in this new world of women's entitlement (apologies to female readers and the men who enable them, but it's true) then I cannot watch it. I'll get too frustrated.
    Nah it's not like that at all. It's actually a very accurate depiction of reality, but in a hilarious way. Kind of like Seinfeld, but with clearer themes in each episode.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Nah it's not like that at all. It's actually a very accurate depiction of reality, but in a hilarious way. Kind of like Seinfeld, but with clearer themes in each episode.
    Wow, it's amazing how much my opinion differs from most when it comes to TV and movies.

Master of None was TERRIBLE!! Quite possible the worst acting I've ever seen in a comedy series (no, seriously), and it highlights all the worst qualities of my generation. It may be an accurate depiction of some peoples reality, but sure as hell not mine. Frittering about over trendy restaurants and tweets, and all the mundane, superficial aspects of a cookie cutter 'modern' life. Beside the fact that the show revolves around a culture that I despise, the characters are all ridiculous and pointless (outside of the main guy, who I'm actually a semi-fan of).

It wants to be Louie, but it is nowhere near as smart, subtle, well acted, groundbreaking or good in any way, other than the fact that it is relatable to socialite, big city 20-somethings.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Wow, it's amazing how much my opinion differs from most when it comes to TV and movies.

Master of None was TERRIBLE!! Quite possible the worst acting I've ever seen in a comedy series (no, seriously), and it highlights all the worst qualities of my generation. It may be an accurate depiction of some peoples reality, but sure as hell not mine. Frittering about over trendy restaurants and tweets, and all the mundane, superficial aspects of a cookie cutter 'modern' life. Beside the fact that the show revolves around a culture that I despise, the characters are all ridiculous and pointless (outside of the main guy, who I'm actually a semi-fan of).

It wants to be Louie, but it is nowhere near as smart, subtle, well acted, groundbreaking or good in any way, other than the fact that it is relatable to socialite, big city 20-somethings.
    You're definitely in the minority on this one... and guess what, the show isn't about you.

Dobber Sports Star

You're definitely in the minority on this one... and guess what, the show isn't about you.
    It's catered to pretty much my exact demographic. I just don't see why the aspects of life that the show revolves around warrant this kind of celebration. It's so superficial and sad, yet they try to pass it off as being deep and insightful. Oh well, each to his own I suppose. If you haven't watched Louie, please do!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    It's catered to pretty much my exact demographic. I just don't see why the aspects of life that the show revolves around warrant this kind of celebration. It's so superficial and sad, yet they try to pass it off as being deep and insightful. Oh well, each to his own I suppose. If you haven't watched Louie, please do!
    You're looking at the show all wrong... it's not meant to be a "celebration" of our superficial and sad society. It's actually the opposite - it's meant to be a humorous jab at today's society.

It's funny and brilliant because in my opinion, the show very accurately mirrors today's sad reality - at least as it pertains to the 20-30 something urban crowd. It really resonated with me in particular because I'm also asian and a lot of the jokes and themes are directed at minorities. But generally speaking, I think it will strongly resonate with most males who live urban lifestyles.

And I have to disagree with your notion about the acting and dialogue... I think actors are amazing, and they come across so genuine and authentic. A show like this needs acting to be candid and authentic like this... if they had oscar-award winning performances it wouldn't resonate as much because people don't act like that in real life. For example Dev's best friend, the asian guy... he is ****ing brilliant. I have SOOOOO many friends exactly like him in real life, and I'd bet most people (especially asians) do as well.

I've never heard of Louie but I'll check it out for sure if it's similar to Master of None.

Dobber Sports Star

You're looking at the show all wrong... it's not meant to be a "celebration" of our superficial and sad society. It's actually the opposite - it's meant to be a humorous jab at today's society.

It's funny and brilliant because in my opinion, the show very accurately mirrors today's sad reality - at least as it pertains to the 20-30 something urban crowd. It really resonated with me in particular because I'm also asian and a lot of the jokes and themes are directed at minorities. But generally speaking, I think it will strongly resonate with most males who live urban lifestyles.

And I have to disagree with your notion about the acting and dialogue... I think actors are amazing, and they come across so genuine and authentic. A show like this needs acting to be candid and authentic like this... if they had oscar-award winning performances it wouldn't resonate as much because people don't act like that in real life. For example Dev's best friend, the asian guy... he is ****ing brilliant. I have SOOOOO many friends exactly like him in real life, and I'd bet most people (especially asians) do as well.

I've never heard of Louie but I'll check it out for sure if it's similar to Master of None.
    Good post. I never got the sense that it's meant to be a jab at today's "sad reality", and I'm not convinced at all that most people will see it that way (though I respect you more knowing that you do). I will admit it does a pretty good job of mirroring that specific lifestyle, and if I felt more that it was meant to mock I would have liked it a lot more.

The acting though? Man... I get when shows want to avoid perfection so it comes off as being more realistic, but the Asian dude is just a terrible, terrible actor. I don't buy him as real at all - just a guy who is trying to do something he really sucks at (maybe that awkwardness is the point then?). The parents are even worse. Real people don't act like that in real life. Real people thrown into an acting role act like that.

Another nitpick would be the fact that a major theme in the show (so far anyway) has been about racial profiling, minorities on TV, etc, yet it falls into a lot of the same traps as all other shows. Is that part of the little inside jab too?

People are comparing the show to Louie, and I can see why in some ways, but in my opinion Louie is much more honest, and takes a much harder road to being relatable. It doesn't revolve around texting and Starbucks and that great new Pho place uptown, but it does a better job of any show I've ever seen at dealing with what it means to be a human being in our world. Brutally honest, and really, really good.

Administrator

Seinfeld is definitely an apt comparison what with all the themes to each episode. Not sure I'd call it an amazing show but definitely a good satire. A lot of the stuff in the show is touched on in Aziz's book, which is worth checking out.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Monster

2 and a half men was good until Sheen left the show. Big Bang Theory is actually pretty funny too. But only watch it from time to time, im more in reality TV like TSN Sports Center, The News

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Seinfeld is definitely an apt comparison what with all the themes to each episode. Not sure I'd call it an amazing show but definitely a good satire. A lot of the stuff in the show is touched on in Aziz's book, which is worth checking out.
    I didn't even know he had a book... def gonna check it out!

Dobber Sports Deity

If you are looking for something light-hearted and gives me a chuckle, check out Ken Jeong's comedy Dr. Ken. I actually find it quite entertaining.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Dr.Ken is pretty good, we've watched that a couple times.
    There's very little on network TV that wife & I watch any more, we do watch three ABC shows on Wednesday: Goldbergs, Modern Family, Blackish.

We watched two episodes of the Master of None... and also had watched his stand-up routine on Netflix.
    His humour play is a bit too hyper for me.
    Sort of reminds me of that Kimmy Schmidt show, we tried that and couldn't get into that - same feeling.
    I think I just prefer that type of character as a complimentary role, instead of lead role.

Dobber Sports Stud

Just finished the 2nd season of Peaky Blinders (previously mentioned upthread). Very good show and well worth the investment. It has a similar feel to Sons of Anarchy.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Genius

Supergirl is fun. It's not amazing, but I like the lead, and I'll keep watching it.

Jessica Jones (on Netflix) is a dark horse for being very, very good, although I'm only one and a half episodes in so far.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Dr.Ken is pretty good, we've watched that a couple times.
    There's very little on network TV that wife & I watch any more, we do watch three ABC shows on Wednesday: Goldbergs, Modern Family, Blackish.

We watched two episodes of the Master of None... and also had watched his stand-up routine on Netflix.
    His humour play is a bit too hyper for me.
    Sort of reminds me of that Kimmy Schmidt show, we tried that and couldn't get into that - same feeling.
    I think I just prefer that type of character as a complimentary role, instead of lead role.
    Goldbergs is pretty good too. Of course, growing up in the 80s I can relate to a lot in that show.

Did you know that even though that show is based on Adam Goldbergs real life events, he actually doesn't have a sister. They just wrote that part into the show.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

Any of you watch "Hockey Wives"...heh what a silly question I know everyone watches that show lol jk. I watched a couple episodes and stopped.