Thread: Which D would you prefer?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Which D would you prefer?

League on signature, I am trying to determine which Dmen I should have down on the farm —> and what to do with my roster in the meantime. I am competing for my second straight championship this week, but there are TONS of quality prospect D options available and I want to snag guys while the window is still open.

I currently own (main roster): Karlsson(IR), Chara, Burns, Boyle, Visnovsky, Timonen -- I'll probably keep Karlsson/Chara/Burns/Boyle, parlaying the others into upgrades/draft picks in the offseason.

On my farm team (prospect) I own: Barrie, Orlov, Muzzin. The dilemma is that there are some VERY intriguing names available on the wire:

Jacob Trouba
    Sami Vatanen
    TJ Brennan

So basically, what should I do? I'd really like to keep Barrie and Muzzin - I feel like Muzzin's "breakout" will turn him into some value for me this offseason. Barrie isn't going anywhere. Is Orlov going to make an impact in the next couple years? Do Green/Carlson make him "obsolete"?

Also, the league MIGHT be adding Hits for the 2014-15 season, which is another consideration that makes guys like Trouba more attractive. So, what's the plan? I really don't want to carry more than 3 prospect D (we have 8 prospects), but I suppose I could be convinced otherwise.

ALSO: Drew Shore is still available, would he make a good replacement for any of the prospect forwards I currently own?

Thanks -- Rep will be given
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'd take Trouba over Orlov. I just don't see the opportunitie for him behind Green and Carlson. Adding hits as a cat only makes Trouba even more valuable. That's the only change I'd make.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    I'd take Trouba over Orlov. I just don't see the opportunitie for him behind Green and Carlson. Adding hits as a cat only makes Trouba even more valuable. That's the only change I'd make.
    Sweet. Thanks gainerama, that's essentially what I was leaning toward. As for teh rest of my prospects, stand pat on D. Shore?

And since I will either have the 11th or 12th selection in the upcoming prospect draft, would you drop anyone in anticipation of the new crop of NHL draftees? I'm thinking no, but if I don't drop anyone I won't be able to make any selections. Last year, I drafted Grigorenko at 12th overall so there could be something there.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports All-Star

I like your prospects as is. The only one I might consider dropping is Jarnkrok but outside of the top 8 this year, nothing really blows me away.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

Great advice from gain here. I like Trouba over Orlov, and I'd be open to losing Jarnkrok. Probably more upside with Jarnkrok than Shore, but he's likely to be a while coming (in the Wings system, plus he's small), and Shore hasn't looked out of place. Even a gamble on a first rounder wouldn't be out of the question. If it were me I'd probably grab Shore, but I wouldn't fault you for taking time to see what you've got in Jarnkrok.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Great advice from gain here. I like Trouba over Orlov, and I'd be open to losing Jarnkrok. Probably more upside with Jarnkrok than Shore, but he's likely to be a while coming (in the Wings system, plus he's small), and Shore hasn't looked out of place. Even a gamble on a first rounder wouldn't be out of the question. If it were me I'd probably grab Shore, but I wouldn't fault you for taking time to see what you've got in Jarnkrok.
    Yeah, I mean I'm on the cusp of b2b titles so I have a really deep team. I think Jarnkrok has legit upside, and with the careers of guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg winding down, perhaps the organization will be less likely to prolong the pre-NHL development of its prospects. I'm not saying that they won't still be the most patient organization in terms of scouting and developing talent, but with the face of the team changing anything is possible.

TLDR; I like Jarnkrok a whole lot and I can afford to be very patient - eapecially because of guys like Coyle, Gallagher, Barrie, Muzzin, Khudobin, and even Bennett becoming legit NHLers already.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    League on signature, I am trying to determine which Dmen I should have down on the farm —> and what to do with my roster in the meantime. I am competing for my second straight championship this week, but there are TONS of quality prospect D options available and I want to snag guys while the window is still open.

I currently own (main roster): Karlsson(IR), Chara, Burns, Boyle, Visnovsky, Timonen -- I'll probably keep Karlsson/Chara/Burns/Boyle, parlaying the others into upgrades/draft picks in the offseason.

On my farm team (prospect) I own: Barrie, Orlov, Muzzin. The dilemma is that there are some VERY intriguing names available on the wire:

Jacob Trouba
    Sami Vatanen
    TJ Brennan

So basically, what should I do? I'd really like to keep Barrie and Muzzin - I feel like Muzzin's "breakout" will turn him into some value for me this offseason. Barrie isn't going anywhere. Is Orlov going to make an impact in the next couple years? Do Green/Carlson make him "obsolete"?

Also, the league MIGHT be adding Hits for the 2014-15 season, which is another consideration that makes guys like Trouba more attractive. So, what's the plan? I really don't want to carry more than 3 prospect D (we have 8 prospects), but I suppose I could be convinced otherwise.

ALSO: Drew Shore is still available, would he make a good replacement for any of the prospect forwards I currently own?

Thanks -- Rep will be given
    I agree with gainerama and CascadeFilly, definitely grab Trouba and drop Orlov. I would be tempted to add Shore as well, but its hard to mess with those prospects as they are very strong. Any other intriguing forward prospects available? For the right guy I'd have to think about letting Muzzin go.

Do not drop Jarnkrok, the Red Wings are very high on him.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Sage

I would be inclined to drop Muzzin instead of Orlov. I think he is fools gold and will regress next year... Orlov is going to be a really good player. I see a lot of Markov in him.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    I would be inclined to drop Muzzin instead of Orlov. I think he is fools gold and will regress next year... Orlov is going to be a really good player. I see a lot of Markov in him.
    If there isn't much other than Shore and the guys you mentioned, you may just want to drop Muzzin for Trouba. That's the safe play.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."