Thread: Kovalchuk Iginla vs Eberle Van Riemsdyk

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Kovalchuk Iginla vs Eberle Van Riemsdyk

Afternoon gents I'm the Eberle JVR owner and was considering trading them for Kovalchuk & Iginla. It's a full cat league and my team has a chance at contending...... However, the top team does have a fairly dominant roster compared to the rest of the league

Would anyone do this trade? I would be getting a consistent performer in Kovalchuk (with dual eligibility) & hopefully a couple more 30 goal seasons out of Iggie.

I'd definitely be giving up tons of youth with a strong possibility that both players will begin a decline in production.

Thoughts? And thx in advance

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think this is a nice deal for you, especially if you want to contend. You are getting the best player in the deal, and you aren't losing much of anything for the next two years at least. Besides, a full year of Iginla with Crosby could yield impressive dividends for you.

I also think Eberle is a bit overrated, so the deal is good from that perspective as well.
    16 team league, keep 12 plus *4 1st/2nd year players (16 total)
    Points Only (w/ NHL salaries), start 8F/4D/1G
    Note: Defencemen receive 1 point per 45 mins of ice time (1-2 points per week, ~30-35 pts per season).

Forwards:
    L. Couture, F. Forsberg, T. Teravainen, O. Palat, C. Kreider, K. Hayes, *J. Guentzel, R. Rakell, *K. Labanc, B. Point, *C. Fischer
    Defense:
    *S. Theodore, S. Gostisbehere, *M. Matheson, J. Trouba
    Goalie:
    M. Murray

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Spleentastic View Post
    Besides, a full year of Iginla with Crosby could yield impressive dividends for you.
    As far as I know, Iginla isn't signed for next year. There's no gaurantee Pittsburgh is where he ends up.

This one is tough. You're giving up some solid youth for two veterans, one very near the end of his career, and the other on a team where he is the only real threat.

I think this really depends on the rest of your team and how close you think you are to winning it all. I'm not sure Iginla will keep up with Eberle or JVR points wise gonig forward, and I'm not sure Kovalchuk provides enough to make up for the difference. It's tight, but with the uncertainty involved with the vets, I think I stick with the youth and potential here.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think the uncertainty surrounding the Iginla situation means you should not make this move. If it were a guarantee that he would be spending next year in Pittsburgh, then I would say pull the trigger no question, but since there are any number of places Iginla could end up - including back in Calgary - I don't think you should move away some serious youth pieces (Eberle especially) and hitch your futures to Kovalchuk and an aging Iginla.

See if you can wait this move out until Iggy's contract situation for next year is known. That way you would have a lot more context on which to base your final decision.

Good luck.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    As far as I know, Iginla isn't signed for next year. There's no gaurantee Pittsburgh is where he ends up.

This one is tough. You're giving up some solid youth for two veterans, one very near the end of his career, and the other on a team where he is the only real threat.

I think this really depends on the rest of your team and how close you think you are to winning it all. I'm not sure Iginla will keep up with Eberle or JVR points wise gonig forward, and I'm not sure Kovalchuk provides enough to make up for the difference. It's tight, but with the uncertainty involved with the vets, I think I stick with the youth and potential here.
    thx guys Two posts from two different perspectives and I could easily agree with both of you. My team is on the cusp of contending. It's a shallow 10 team league and I have the likes of: Lundqvist, Smith in goal........ Tavares, Getzlaf, Parise, Hartnell, Eberle, Wheeler, Voracek, Lupul, JVR as my main forward group..... Phaneuf, Girardi, Seebrook, and Boyle as my main d guys

A solid group, but definitely not a dominant one.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I think the uncertainty surrounding the Iginla situation means you should not make this move. If it were a guarantee that he would be spending next year in Pittsburgh, then I would say pull the trigger no question, but since there are any number of places Iginla could end up - including back in Calgary - I don't think you should move away some serious youth pieces (Eberle especially) and hitch your futures to Kovalchuk and an aging Iginla.

See if you can wait this move out until Iggy's contract situation for next year is known. That way you would have a lot more context on which to base your final decision.

Good luck.
    FWIW, Iggy's house just went up for sale this weekend. I really don't think he's coming back to Calgary.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    FWIW, Iggy's house just went up for sale this weekend. I really don't think he's coming back to Calgary.
    Yeah, it's certainly a highly unlikely scenario. I just meant to illustrate the point that Iginla's future in PIT is hardly a certainty.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Yeah, it's certainly a highly unlikely scenario. I just meant to illustrate the point that Iginla's future in PIT is hardly a certainty.
    I only really see him playing for a cup contender at this point in his career. Pittsburg or not, he should be on a good team with a legit top 6. He could get back to 70+ with a good center.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd keep Eberle + JVR here, regardless of where Iggy is next season.

I don't see the potential upside (if any) of Kovy being enough to offset the long-term consequences of this deal.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I'd keep Eberle + JVR here, regardless of where Iggy is next season.

I don't see the potential upside (if any) of Kovy being enough to offset the long-term consequences of this deal.
    Thx Blayze & Co I didn't pull the trigger. Still have lots of time to figure it, so why rush it. I'm leaning on being patient with the young guns