Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jack Edwards compares Matt Cooke to assassin

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Jack Edwards compares Matt Cooke to assassin

http://deadspin.com/jack-edwards-is-...n-si-476595411

I watched this, but didn't initially get the reference to Robert Kennedy's assassin ... I dislike Cooke as much as anyone, but Edwards went over the line considering the recent events...
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not the best choice of description to use. Cooke is an idiot for sure, but yea Edwards was a little out of touch there with that comment.

Dobber Sports Genius

Stupid description, but I can't believe someone nominated Cooke for the Masterton. What an idiotic move. Cooke may not be as bad as he used to be, but he's still a complete ****. Didn't he take someone's knee out today? I know he's smartened up a tad, but I think he's also gotten very good at disguising his dirty play and intentions.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Cooke, in my opinion, is a fantastic nominee for the award and I'd love to see him win. The way he "played" before was putrid and disgusting.

But he's made real efforts to move away from that, and overall done a fantastic job at doing so.

I think the Penguins have acknowledged his efforts and desire to be a different person and player by nominating him.

I'll be rooting for him to win for sure. Usually it's a dumb award given to someone who had surgery or some disease or something. For once it might actually hold a bit more meaning.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Cooke, in my opinion, is a fantastic nominee for the award and I'd love to see him win. The way he "played" before was putrid and disgusting.

But he's made real efforts to move away from that, and overall done a fantastic job at doing so.

I think the Penguins have acknowledged his efforts and desire to be a different person and player by nominating him.

I'll be rooting for him to win for sure. Usually it's a dumb award given to someone who had surgery or some disease or something. For once it might actually hold a bit more meaning.
    Couldn't disagree more. You want to give an award to a guy for suddenly playing the game the way he should have been playing it all along? The way it's meant to be played, and the way 99.9% of the hockey world has been playing it for ever? Because he's 'persevered?' Over what? His inner demons that were making him play like a dick his entire career? What has he overcome?

He hasn't shown a dedication to the game, he's shown a dedication to his own career, which would have been short-lived if he continued at that pace.

Overcoming a disease or an injury to play a sport at the highest level is admirable. Suddenly deciding to not try to hurt other players because your team's management threatens you is not. It's self-preservation.

Dobber Sports Ace

Can't tell if there's sarcasm here or not...
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Can't tell if there's sarcasm here or not...
    Sounded serious, but if it's not (which honestly makes more sense) you can all disregard my little tirade.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. You want to give an award to a guy for suddenly playing the game the way he should have been playing it all along? The way it's meant to be played, and the way 99.9% of the hockey world has been playing it for ever? Because he's 'persevered?' Over what? His inner demons that were making him play like a dick his entire career? What has he overcome?

He hasn't shown a dedication to the game, he's shown a dedication to his own career, which would have been short-lived if he continued at that pace.

Overcoming a disease or an injury to play a sport at the highest level is admirable. Suddenly deciding to not try to hurt other players because your team's management threatens you is not. It's self-preservation.
    I'm all for slagging on a guy when he's a detriment to the game and to the people around him.

Sure, part of his change was due to possible being unemployed, but from what I read a much larger part was almost losing is wife and realizing his kids were hearing what people were saying about him.

The result was real change and people that do that need to be applauded for doing so. I'm not being sarcastic at all. I hope he wins the award because he deserves it.

Just a difference of opinion on this issue I suppose.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Jack Edwards is the biggest homer announcer in the game and he averages about three completely ******ed and hyperbolic comments every game.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

He has no chance of winning since Crosby is the Penguins nominee this year.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I totally missed the fact that he was talking about last year. Well that makes winning it difficult now doesn't it!

Oh well.

I still completely disagree with Edwards here (but that's nothing new for most people)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    He has no chance of winning since Crosby is the Penguins nominee this year.
    No love for Malkin?
    Dude had to fight sunburn fer crying out loud!

Makes Crosby and his whole concussion thing seem pretty trivial really.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Ninja

No way, Jack Edwards said something outrageous?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    No way, Jack Edwards said something outrageous?
    For me it's not the fact that he said something idiotic that's the big whoop-de-doo. It's HOW he says it. It's like his brain explodes and his mouth ejaculates word-like things violently.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Jack Edwards is the biggest homer announcer in the game and he averages about three completely ******ed and hyperbolic comments every game.
    Only three? Seems higher to me.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby