Thread: Best way to add farm team element to existing Yahoo keeper?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Best way to add farm team element to existing Yahoo keeper?

League/team in sig. As commish, I'm curious about adding a farm team to extend the pool a bit as we're probably adding 3 more forward positions and a couple more keepers next season to make the teams a little deeper. Just curious how everyone else in keeper+farm leagues handles the non-Yahoo portion of things!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Separate forum and google docs works pretty well.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I was thinking the same thing actually. What about drafting? Just have a secondary draft after the regular Yahoo draft and follow NHL-style rules?

Administrator

My Yahoo! keeper is a full keeper so our only draft is done offline. If you are doing it online you can just do it in a forum following the main draft. We have the farm players listed in the commissioner's note on the front page as well as on our separate league forum.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Well, our league is a dynasty keeper, so we keep everyone and have one entry draft each summer, then all the drops and new signings are handled the rest of the year. During the season we post adds/drops on Fantrax but in the offseason we use the forum for that. We also do the draft in the offseason. During the year we have a guy who maintains a roster sheet with a bunch of info (league records, past drafts, every team roster, a complete list of taken players and more) on google docs. Started out with regular MS Excel but it's easier on google dogs.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

How about management of prospects? Do you follow NHL rules for players being elligible to sent down without them being snagged by other teams? 10 games (or whatever it is next season) and guys can move freely without being snagged by other teams?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by allonblack View Post
    How about management of prospects? Do you follow NHL rules for players being elligible to sent down without them being snagged by other teams? 10 games (or whatever it is next season) and guys can move freely without being snagged by other teams?
    Our league is kind of unique. We allow free movement up or down until a player has played 50 NHL games then they have to be either up or down. You can keep the guy in the minors until he's played 164 games then you have to bring him up or drop him. Any time you bring a guy up after 50 games he can't go back down for anyone.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Our league is kind of unique. We allow free movement up or down until a player has played 50 NHL games then they have to be either up or down. You can keep the guy in the minors until he's played 164 games then you have to bring him up or drop him. Any time you bring a guy up after 50 games he can't go back down for anyone.
    This is very cool...I'm wondering if my guys have the commitment to handle this haha. I'm assuming you can't have clowns in a pool like that...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by allonblack View Post
    This is very cool...I'm wondering if my guys have the commitment to handle this haha. I'm assuming you can't have clowns in a pool like that...
    No, we have some clowns. It's not difficult to follow though. Our commish does weekly games played updates and warns us when players are due to hit their limits. So it comes down to diligence from the top.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

We don't have any set restrictions of games played, but we have kind of a gentlemen's agreement that we will not abuse callups. As you can see in my signature I have quite a few veteran NHLers on my farm. Normally we make roster moves when injuries happen or a guy is on a deep cold streak. No streaming or anything like that, optimizing games played. We roll four lines, three D pairings and start two goalies and then we have five bench spots, with the farm team that is usally cut to 25 (to match the regular roster) at Christmas and then it goes up to 28 after the summer draft. This year is special and we'll be making cuts after the playoffs, before our draft that happens a week or two after NHL free agency starts.
    GO WINGS!