Thread: Essential Championship Sit/Start Question

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Essential Championship Sit/Start Question

Rep for all who help! For team in sig. Busy Thursday schedule and need to sit 2 forwards in my championship match-up. Here is the score so far:

Me: 5 G, 10 A, +2, 14 PIM, 5 PPP, 0 SHP, 36 SOG, 32 HIT, 15 BLK
    Him: 4 G, 2 A, -5, 0 PIM, 2 PPP, 0 SHP, 34 SOG, 17 HIT, 11 BLK

I am up big time in assists, PIM, hits (as always). I am fighting for goals, PPP, SOG.....blks are primarily defense and I should be fine there.

Normally I roll my best players out there, but in this case, 2 of my best players are primarily pass-first guys in Backstrom and Sedin. Should I consider sitting them for goal/SOG guys like Brown and Callahan? I would normally never do this, but in this case it kind of makes sense. Especially with the Rangers playing the weak Panthers. Here is my team, tell me which 2 forwards you sit:

Backes vs. Pho
    Brown vs. Cls
    Callahan vs. Fla
    Sedin vs. Dal
    Backstrom vs. Ott
    Benn vs. Van
    Pacioretty vs. TB
    Semin vs. Wpg

Normally I would sit Callahan and Brown, but those are two of my biggest sog guys (one of my tightest cats) and likeliest goal scorers....this is tough. Would love any and all input and will dish out lots of rep...my championship aspirations could hinge on this decision!
    Last edited by Shiva Blaster; April 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Genius

I would dump Semin and go with Brown. Both Backstrom and Sedin should get you PPP so you all you are missing is SOG. Semin has been a bum since signing that big deal, go with Brown.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Giant

in this situation id start callahan and brown. you wont get caught in assists anyways. maybe play sedin or backstrom over semin too.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks for the reply guys....I knew this would be a tough decision. I can understand starting Brown and Callahan, and was contemplating doing so as they are both top 3-4 on my team in SOG as well as goals......I agree that it is unlikely that I get caught in assists, and I really need goals and sog. Added chances at bs and shp also helps and as both Brown and Cally kill penalties, they both help in this regard. Callahan faes the Panthers who are terrible and give up a ton of shots, so I like that match-up, and Brown was an absolute beast in his last game with a goal and 8 shots.

The question remains which 2 players to sit for these two. Semin I can understand in that he hasn't scored a ton this year, and hasn't scored in 7 games. That said, he is 3rd in my team in sog and despite Carolina's struggles lately, has still been averaging over 3 sog per game. Sedin seems like an obvious choice to sit.....I am sacrificing some potential PPP and +/-(which I am not free and clear in by any means), but he is not likely to score, and shoots by far the least of all my players. Another optipn would be Backstrom but he and the Cpas are red hot and historically he shoots and scores more than Sedin, so I'm really not too keen on sitting him.

Or how about sitting Backes? I'm fine in grit categories, and it's not like he or the Blues are setting the world on fire offensively?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Shiva Blaster; April 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Veteran

No one? This is huge, would love all the suggestions I can get!

Dobber Sports Genius

Backes is a guy you can sit as well if you want to keep Semin in your lineup. I would sit him before sitting Sedin.

1 Week scoring period

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    G - Saros, Rittich

Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Veteran

Really? I don't see Sedin really helping me....will give me assists which doesn't help, and least likely to score or put up SOG which are the cats I really need the most. And to clarify, I need to sit two guys of the group listed as I can only play 6 of the 8.
    Last edited by Shiva Blaster; April 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

I would sit Backes and Callahan. I kinda like Sedin playing tonight, just a hunch.

1 Week scoring period

G - Saros, Rittich

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm not sure about your call on Callahan considering my needs....he's 3rd, 4th on my team in both goals and SOG, and facing a porous Florida team in a must win game. He also chips in with bs and shp which I could use. Pretty sure I'll have to find a spot for him in the roster tonight. Thanks for the input though!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Right now I am leaning toward sitting either Backes and Sedin, Semin and Sedin, or Semin and Backes

Dobber Sports Veteran

Decided to sit Backes and Semin......couldnt bring myself to sit Sedin despite not needing the stats he typically provides. Hopefully I made the right choice! Thanks everyone!

Dobber Sports Veteran

10 minutes into the first period and already 2 PPP for Callahan along with a hit and a blocked shot. Thankfully I stuck with my gut and went with one of my favorite players and anchors of my team. Why would I ever think of benching this guy....he shows up every single night and he is as clutch in fantasy as he is in real life!!!!