Thread: John Carlson

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default John Carlson

I just wanted to give Mr. Carlson a little shout-out as he has very quietly become a cornerstone of my defense in my multi-cat keeper league. He is absolute gold in my format and has put together a fine lock-out shortened season so far.

His 2013 numbers pro-rated over a full 82 games look like this:

12 G, 28 A , 40 pts, +12, 36 PIM, 100 hits, 210 blocked shots, 182 sog.

Wow. In a league that counts bs, a defenceman that can put up a unique stat line like that while being top 5 in blocked shots is money in the bank. I've only lost the blocked shot category once, and my offense hasn't suffered one bit.

As you can see, his number are up and he is on pace for career bests across the board. I own Carlson, Backstrom and Ovi in a few formats, so have watched almost every Washington game this year, and he has looked great. I haven't watched him much before this year, but to me it looks like he is become a huge part of that Washington defense core.

What do peoople see in Carlson's future? Is this a short-season statistical anolmoly, or has Carlson really hitting his stride in his 4th year and having a mini-breakout?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yup, FHG has him ranked #9 D guy in my league with BS Hits.

Dobber Sports Expert

Ssshhhhh...he needs to slow down a tad so that the new GM joining our pool via expansion doesn't notice him [as I can't protect him...or Kulikov]. Fortunately our pool doesn't count peripheral stats, otherwise he'd be impossible to miss.

When a D becomes this overall valuable they'll be relied on lots which bodes well for future fantasy output...although Green's resurgence does have me second-guessing Carlson's upside.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Genius

I've totally appreciated his production this season also, he's been my best shot blocker by a decent margin. Considering that he just turned 23 a few months ago I think we can expect to see more of these results from JC for years to come.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think he has a lot of upside too. I'd like to keep him but if I did I'd have to unprotect on of my other keepers.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sadly, I won't be able to keep him either as Phaneuf will be my only keeper dman. I should be able to redraft him though as I think he is still criminally under-rated in my league.

As for Carlson's upside being limited by Green's resurgence, I'm not concerned.....Green still hasn't shown that he can stay healthy for more than 15 games at a time, and Carson has still been productive with Green in the line-up. His combination of peripherals are where his real value lies, especially if your league counts blocked shots......and these numbers are not affected by Green's presence at all.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

The Great One

37, 32, 40 (pro-rated)

those are the numbers for his first three seasons, which is damn impressive for a guy who doesn't get a lot of PP time

the strange thing is that even with those incredible numbers, he gets underrated. I think it is because we all know he can do more and if he ever got the opportunity that someone like Green gets, his numbers would surely explode. The problem with Carlson, like Pietrangelo and Doughty, is that he is so good that his team uses him in more of a shutdown role and puts him up against the toughest competition, which only makes his numbers even more impressive.

I own him in multiple leagues, but unfortunately I had to deal him in my favorite league because I had an abundance of dmen (Shattenkirk, Yandle, Goligoski, Carlson, and Spurgeon) and I could only keep 3. Luckily I was able to package him up with VanRiemsdyk for Eric Staal. Still, it is sad to see him go.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98