Thread: Smith, Chiasson, Palmieri

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Smith, Chiasson, Palmieri

Who would you take this year and beyond out of Craig Smith, Alex Chiasson, and Kyle Palmieri?

Pts only salary cap full keeper.

Thanks
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Veteran

Add Calvert to that list too.

Rep for help
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow

Dobber Sports Veteran

Palmieri far and away for several reasons... First of all, he's VERY strong despite being only 5'10, he's a legit 2 bills and I've seen him overpower guys listed at 6'2, 225. Second, he has a definite goal scoring touch, displayed in the AHL and a bit this year in the NHL. Third, he's played alongside Getz and Perry at times, which makes him super valuable if it continues.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Initiate

chiasson is positioned on the first line next to benn. with roy and morrow being traded off, he has the opportunity to show his stuff in a top six role and has been developed for a while.

I see a lot of upside here and he came into the league recently with a bang.
    L1: 14T keep 10 H2H 12F/6D/2G/3B
    P Cats: g/a/+/-/pim/sog/bs/stp/hits
    G Cats: w/sv/so/gaa/sv%

F: tarasenko,yamamoto,p kane,backstrom, zuccarello,gourde,lafreniere,w karlsson,iafallo,bunting,khaira,brown,pageau,vorac ek, palat,verhaeghe
    D: klingberg,theodore,gudas,burns
    G: varlomov,talbot,shesterkin
    IR: radulov,pettersson

L2: 10T keep 10 H2H

F: w. karlsson,mcdavid,kreider,nylander,hoffman,giroux,d ebrincat,reinhart,hintz,verhaeghe,tuch,iafallo,tol vanen,robertson
    D: klingberg,trouba,yandle,faulk,letang
    G: shesterkin,sorokin,lankinen,lehner
    IR: seguin,petterson,fleury

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default 1 Easy cut and 3 Prime Ribs

Craig Smith... he doesnt even play in the same league as the others, Nashville doesn't play in the same NHL as fantasy point land. They play in goalie land or something.

Now the real debate begins.
    Palmieri is my personal favorit on your list. I dont have as much 1st hand experience as Dong does, but I still really like him for upside and future from what I've seen. And I think he has a better chance of hitting it. Palmieri has a B+ on dobber prospects, he had very similar points per game as Atkinson did in the AHL (Palmieri did it a year earlier though for his age).
    Atkinson is a very low pick for an NHL draft, and from having seen him play once or twice, its not because of skill. It was solely based off size. His numbers out of the H-East our comparable to TOP end prospects (similar to recent Gus Nyq. or someone older like Phil Kessel's)
    The size factor scares me most for Cam though. Combine that with his linemates of calvert and letestu ( http://hockey.dobbersports.com/froze...tgamelines.php ) and there's lots to worry about with Cam. He doesnt get PP time and is being forced into a 2nd/3rd line role. Johansen is a ways away imho to being a fantasy stud. The only stud on the team is Gaborik and until i see Cam playing with him I'm not sold on his fantasy stud relevance for the next year or 2. (small players normally take time, 23/24 isn't young, but I would wait a year on him.
    Chiasson is the opposite end of the spectrum. He's big, a much higher draft pick, and not being given every opporunity to succeed. That will not be the case to start next season. Very few teams go into a rebuild and leave a player like Chiasson on the top line. Last year they brought in Roy, Jagr and Whitney. They traded away two of those already. I wouldnt be surprised to see them bring in 2 more players for the same sort of filler roles. I could be more off with him and my predictions than either Cam or Kyle. His 4 in 4 is a very nice NHL start, but that's all it is. If he gets a spot on Benn's line to start the season next year... it's probably a better situation than Palmieri's.

At this point I feel like it's between those. Palm's or Chia (interesting type of plant u could grow a chia palm?). Palmieri has competition all around him for ice time. With Koivu and Selanne leaving there will be ice time opening up, but the coveted spot is on the top line with room for only 1. He's fighting with Etem, Holland, Devante Smith Pelley and more for 1 spot. I think all of those guys are SUPER talented, Etem being at the same value as Palmieri to me, with huge upside as well. Chiasson has guys like Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser and Cody Eakin to contend with for future minutes. I personally think Eriksson and Benn should be on the top line for years to come and it should be a situation like the Ducks. Maybe Dallas wants to spread the offense around. Im ramblin here. For the next 2 years its a crap shoot with all of these guys. I like Palmieri because he's been given that shot all year long and has scored goals. Atkinson and Chiasson will have longer leashes and less competition. The upside is similar between Palmieri and Atkinson a little lower for a power forward like Chia. I go with Palmieri for now, there's personal influence involved here, if not i would go with Atkinson, no Chia, No atkinson no flip a coin. It's that tight. The last 10 games are the best tip i can give you though, just check the score sheets and line combos for the next 3 weeks. Palmieri will get playoff time as well to show off and cement him as my pick here.
    10 Team Keeper, NO POSITIONS, POINTS ONLY Keep 20
    D. Sedin, Spezza, Hossa, Eriksson, Iginla, Hodgson, Sharp, Statsny, Bergeron, Pavelski, Letang, Brown, Berglund, Read, Turris, Filppula, Kreider, Palmieri, Schwartz, Baertschi

Dobber Sports Sage

Palmieri and it is not even close.

Edited: I don't understand the post above mine. Is Atkinson an option? If yes he is close but still I take Palmieri.
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; April 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Quite the fall from grace during his Sophomore slump for Craig Smith.
    12 tm pts only dynasty

Dobber Sports Stud

Give me Palmieri as well.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Craig Smith will be a far better real life player than fantasy player. You have to consider how poor Nashville is offensively and go from there.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

My order is as follows.

Palmieri
    Smith
    Chiasson (power forward, more of a David Backes type)
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks all.

Ended up making a trade and had room for 2 of those.

Went with Palmieri and Chiasson.

Chose Chiasson over Smith because i know i'll be super tight to the cap next year and he'll be a mil cheaper than Smith. Also, given Smith's brutal season, I figured a few decent games to end the season as a rookie would give Chiasson more perceived value than Smith in the offseason.
    12 tm pts only dynasty

Dobber Sports Initiate

chiasson is owning, and you are getting paid off.
    L1: 14T keep 10 H2H 12F/6D/2G/3B

F: tarasenko,yamamoto,p kane,backstrom, zuccarello,gourde,lafreniere,w karlsson,iafallo,bunting,khaira,brown,pageau,vorac ek, palat,verhaeghe
    D: klingberg,theodore,gudas,burns
    G: varlomov,talbot,shesterkin
    IR: radulov,pettersson

L2: 10T keep 10 H2H

F: w. karlsson,mcdavid,kreider,nylander,hoffman,giroux,d ebrincat,reinhart,hintz,verhaeghe,tuch,iafallo,tol vanen,robertson
    D: klingberg,trouba,yandle,faulk,letang
    G: shesterkin,sorokin,lankinen,lehner
    IR: seguin,petterson,fleury