Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bye Bye Flyers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

why do people keep saying the goaltending is the problem? i've watched a fair bit of flyers games, at times bryz is left to dry.

fire laviolette, get a tippet/trotz clone, and bryzgalov will shine. even mason could. seriously, lundqvist wouldnt make the flyers a playoff team the way the team is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Bryz isn't a flake at all - in this world, he is way ahead of most folks calling him a flake. He has it exactly right - "I can only try and control what I can control. That which I can't would be a waste of my time to put energy into."

I wouldn't chalk this up as being laid back either. It only appears that way to folks that don't have this control thing down in their heads - because they measure laid back by their own perception of going for control of things they can't.

Bryz isn't having a good year, but to hang all the Flyers woes on him would really stink like a fish market. For those that are chirping the shit out of him, go ahead, put on the gear and get out there. I bet you will be wishing for better D in front of you in about 2.5 seconds.
    Agreed. Flyers D was not nearly as stout as years past. And that only serves to effect play through the lines, w/forwards having to compensate. Bust up long standing chemistry like that in any work place environment - but especially sports - and the effects can never be fully appreicated nor anticipated.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

They ultimately will have to trade some of their excess F talent to get better on D. The problem is that good D appears to be harder to come by right now.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Ninja

Goaltending in Philly is just cursed, so it makes sense that they went after Mason and hope that it would have the reverse effect and rejuvenate his career lol.

In all seriousness, I think it's really unfair to pin all of the blame on Bryz here. Philly has been so inconsistent this year and a lot of nights really just look like they're mailing it in. Briere has been horrible...Luke Schenn, awful. Just a lot of really bad play from everybody. Gervais, don't know how many times I saw the guy give the puck away for a goal or miss an assignment. Ugh...just ugly to watch.

That being said, I don't think Bryz should be let off the hook completely though, as the guy has to make a save every once and awhile. The great goalies make the saves to bail out their team on occasion. They carry their teams to a win that the team had no business winning. I don't think Bryzgalov has really done that at all this year.

In any case, I don't think Bryz deserves all the flack he's getting but ultimately he'll be the scapegoat for the rest of the team. I also think his odd personality can rub people the wrong way as lazy and disinterested...but that's just me.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    This year is not Bryz'sd fault at all. In fact he has been their best player. You can take the best goalie in the world and if you have no one playing defense in front of you, you'll look bad. Bryz has started more games than any goalie this year and that's because the team believes in him. He's had a few bad games for sure but his team in front of him has been brutal.
    Ben Bishop sure is looking good behind that brutal Lightning D.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Bryzgalov isn't the only one to blame here, but he definitely has those nights that just make you shake your head. I don't know how intelligent he is, but his comments are being blown out of proportion. Its almost as if nothing else matters to the media with the Flyers, its all about Bryzgalov. He's playing much better than he played last year, but he still makes some plays that a goaltender simply shouldn't make. If you watched him against the Leafs the past week, he made several plays that could have resulted in goals but ultimately got lucky and didn't give up any on those plays.

From the games I have watched, the Flyers just don't look like they're playing a team game. They show you flashes of being that team that is hard to play against, being aggressive on the forecheck and playing physical. Then you see how they play in their own end and they just look lost. Sean Couturier has been invisible, Hartnell has not lived up to the high expectations after his career year last season. Danny Briere may warrant an amnesty buyout, he's just not doing much for them these days.

Its easy to say that they need Chris Pronger, he's a tremendous leader and was huge for their team. I just don't see him coming back unless he's ready and that won't be this year IMO. I love Kimmo Timonen, but he can't do it all on his own. I think he's one of the most underrated players in the NHL, but he just keeps producing year after year.

Acquiring Steve Mason is not the answer, you take a guy who pretty much lost his confidence after a tremendous rookie season and bring him into a team that is struggling in their own end and does not have a good track record with goalies? It just doesn't make any sense.

I truly thought they would make the playoffs, but they've looked awful this year. Lots of work to be done on that club in the off-season.
    Last edited by dmvincent; April 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Ben Bishop sure is looking good behind that brutal Lightning D.
    The coaching change has gotten the D to play better. Matt Carle has done a total 180.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne