Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Flyers

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Didn't they already go that route once and Emery didn't exactly do that well for them? Sounds like something Flyers would do though. Boucher, Leighton etc. They love taking back goalies who've already failed for them.
    I don't know if Leighton taking them to the Stanley Cup Finals could really be considered failing them

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm half-expecting the Flyers to either win the draft lottery and get the first overall pick, or for Seth Jones to fall to them where ever they end up.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I don't know if Leighton taking them to the Stanley Cup Finals could really be considered failing them
    You have a point there. Though if I recall right, he kind of failed in the Finals against Chicago though? And then didn't take long before he went back to AHL the next season. So hard to say Leighton was really a success for Flyers either.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Veteran

This year is not Bryz'sd fault at all. In fact he has been their best player. You can take the best goalie in the world and if you have no one playing defense in front of you, you'll look bad. Bryz has started more games than any goalie this year and that's because the team believes in him. He's had a few bad games for sure but his team in front of him has been brutal.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    This year is not Bryz'sd fault at all. In fact he has been their best player. You can take the best goalie in the world and if you have no one playing defense in front of you, you'll look bad. Bryz has started more games than any goalie this year and that's because the team believes in him. He's had a few bad games for sure but his team in front of him has been brutal.
    In 19 of his 36 starts, he has a save percentage of .900 or worse. That's pretty brutal for a number one goalie, defence or no.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    You have a point there. Though if I recall right, he kind of failed in the Finals against Chicago though? And then didn't take long before he went back to AHL the next season. So hard to say Leighton was really a success for Flyers either.
    He wasn't a full on success by any means. He did fail them in the finals in a way, but neither goalie looked good. Both teams allowed at least 3 goals in every game other than Game 2.

Essentially, Niemi played below average while Leighton played way below average.

That was the series that caused everyone to say, "Hey, we don't need an expensive top tier goalie to get to the finals". I bet Tim Thomas, Bobby Lou, Jonathan Quick and Marty Brodeur have something to say about that now.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Well if the Flyers could pick most anyone they want - I reckon they should go after Emery - the Razor is a broadstreet bully through and through.
    Been there, done that.

As for those of you defending Bryzer... I'm not sure if you have been watching the same games I have... hell I question whether you've been watching Flyers games at all. The dude has a save % of UNDER 900!!! In what world is that justifiable?

Yes the defense is a huge issue as I conceded in my original post... but Bryz has been TERRIBLE, and his demeanour sucks. There have been tons of awesome goalies on shitty defensive teams over the years (Luongo, Ward, Miller, Lehtonen, Kipper, etc)... Bryz is most definitely not one of them.

Dobber Sports Legend

The Flyers need:

1. Solid goaltending. Even if not a superstar, they need someone who is solid and respected by his teammates.

2. Puck-moving defenseman who could Q-back the PP. Y-A-N-D-L-E!!

3. Big scorer in the top 6. R-Y-A-N!!
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Pro

and what are they going to give to acquire those 2 guys ?? you have to pay

i dont think a 1st round pick and 2-3 prospects 95% of people dont know will be enought this time.
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sharpp87 View Post
    and what are they going to give to acquire those 2 guys ?? you have to pay

i dont think a 1st round pick and 2-3 prospects 95% of people dont know will be enought this time.
    I have no idea. I'm sure a combo of Couturier, Read and some good picks could be had to improve the team immediately. Ed Snider is not a patient man when it comes to rebuilds.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I can see Timmy Thomas signing in Philly next season for a couple of years, I mean, why not??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I can see Timmy Thomas signing in Philly next season for a couple of years, I mean, why not??
    Bite your tongue Zorro!!

Timmy is a god and there is very little that could ever diminish his legend in my eyes. Signing with the Flyers would come pretty freakin close though!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    In 19 of his 36 starts, he has a save percentage of .900 or worse. That's pretty brutal for a number one goalie, defence or no.
    That's not the full story though. If he's making saves and there is no one there to knock away the rebounds then his save % will suck for sure.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    10 rounds of drafting

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Been there, done that.

As for those of you defending Bryzer... I'm not sure if you have been watching the same games I have... hell I question whether you've been watching Flyers games at all. The dude has a save % of UNDER 900!!! In what world is that justifiable?

Yes the defense is a huge issue as I conceded in my original post... but Bryz has been TERRIBLE, and his demeanour sucks. There have been tons of awesome goalies on shitty defensive teams over the years (Luongo, Ward, Miller, Lehtonen, Kipper, etc)... Bryz is most definitely not one of them.

Something tells me you really haven't watched many games at all. I've seen almost every one of them and like I said, he has not been great every game, but on more nights than not, he has been very good. Recently he has cooled off because he has started way too many games.

It's easy to blame Bryz. It's the in thing to do because of his ostensibly flaky persona. But as the Philly media and his coach and they will tell you has been pretty good this year.
    10 rounds of drafting

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    That's not the full story though. If he's making saves and there is no one there to knock away the rebounds then his save % will suck for sure.
    It doesn't matter if your defense consists of six Cory Cross clones. That is an impossibly bad/brutal stretch of performance.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified