Thread: The Derek Roy impact in Vancouver

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Derek Roy impact in Vancouver

If you are in any playoff pools, expect him to take some of the defensive assignments (some, not all) away from Ryan Kesler.

Some more thoughts:

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/4/8/look...ard-deployment
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Initiate

I picked up Roy at the deadline hoping for some offensive resurgence from him in the last few weeks of the season. Am I dreaming here? I could drop him for someone like Matt Carle who's been great this past week, I just picked up Legwand and Marcus Johansson today so not as concerned about FWD's for my roster.

Do you think Roy is a bit of a waste though as far as G/A/PPPs, or can you see him putting up some worthwhile numbers, despite what you talk about as a more defensive/two way role?
    F: McDavid, Kucherov, Eichel, Gaudreau, M Tkachuk, E Lindholm, Rob Thomas, Hischier
    D: S Jones, Werenski, DeAngelo, Hamilton
    G: Husso, Raanta

*** ONE YEAR - POINTS ONLY *** skaters: 1pt/G, 1pt/A. goalies: 2pt/win, 2pt/SO *** 12 teams
    MUST HAVE -- 8F, 4D, 2G --- (******Can only swap at same position, F, D, G ********)
    10 ACQUISITIONS TOTAL ON THE YEAR (**I've used NINE of them - ONE LEFT**) *** NO BENCH - NO IR - NO TRADES BETWEEN MEMBERS ***

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'm not really sure if he's a better bet than Carle - I'd watch tonight's game closely, as Kesler is back. See how they are used.

Usual new team uptick for 4 games...beyond that is anyone's guess. Spotty production, as usual.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think Roy will help immensely with all the intangibles he brings.

In terms of scoring I have my doubts. Watching the Canucks Coyotes game and he is making some superb plays but there is just no skill around him.

The Canucks are seriously lacking any scoring depth.

Dobber Sports Ace

The Canucks added two centers could easily be number 1s on other teams; in the case of Roy, he has been one for 5 years! I really think that the impact on the Canucks has been massively understated. I expect the goals per game for the Canucks to go up in general and specifically Higgins and the Sedins. I agree with your thoughts Angus, and I think that for the last 9 games the Sedins will be hovering around the most points in the league.

Higgins has looked great with Roy. He is an incredibly valuable player who doesn't hit the scoresheet much but is a good bet to put up points the rest of the season if you need a multi-cat injection in medium-depth leagues. They will likely play a defensive role but their styles mesh very well. Higgins is one of the most dogged checkers in the league and without the puck he is apt at getting rid of whoever happens to be following him. With Roy actively looking for him, it has made for a number of quality scoring chances. Buy on Canucks in general for the next couple weeks, with this crazy injection of talent into a roster that has had 10 centers play for them in this shortened season, I expect goals/game should rise to 2010/11 levels, given a relatively normal PDO.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Star

Derek Roy is the kind of player we've needed since Manny went down with that eye injury. That isnt to say Roy is a 3rd line center, but on this team he is and we need a certain skillset that he possesses to play our game. so far so good, every player has a role to play (even if youre overqualified) in order to win games

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would keep watching the Roy sweepstakes because he has a nice offensive upside to him while the Canucks have not rolled with a few good centers in a long time. Kesler is a huge impact to that team and will be even bigger in the playoffs. My guess would be a lot of teams will focus on shutting down Sedin line 1, Kesler line 2 will be a bone bruising producing line, and Roy on line 3 will turn in more-than-expected production.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
    I would keep watching the Roy sweepstakes because he has a nice offensive upside to him while the Canucks have not rolled with a few good centers in a long time. Kesler is a huge impact to that team and will be even bigger in the playoffs. My guess would be a lot of teams will focus on shutting down Sedin line 1, Kesler line 2 will be a bone bruising producing line, and Roy on line 3 will turn in more-than-expected production.
    Yeah, but it is more how the Canucks deploy the lines that matters.

Last night went as I expected (although it is a small sample):

Sedins got offensive minutes (zone starts)
    Kesler line got the easy matchups (fourth line whenever Vigneault could)
    Roy line was out against Hanzal/Doan/Vrbata

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/froze...tchups&sent=go

I think Kesler is going to be the real benefactor.

Dobber Sports Ace

Well there goes my Higgins prediction... He might not be back until the playoffs!
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks