Thread: Early Look

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Early Look

First of all good luck to everyone in your upcoming playoffs, but if you can help with a look ahead, reguardless of team need, just fantasy value , please give me a 1 and 3 year projection on the three players most feel will go in the top three.

Seth Jones
    Nathan MacKinnon
    Jonathon Drouin

My league scoring is in my signature
    Kucherov , Pastrnak , Guentzel Miller, Rantanen
    Teravainen , Cirelli, Nelson , Konecny

Ekblad, Girard, Pionk, Parayko , Graves

Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck , Korpisalo

FARM TEAM --Brannstrom, Drysdale

League Champion-2007-08,2008-09 , 2015-16, 2017-18

Scoring is, G,A,PTS, PPG, PPA, GWG, +/-, SHOTS, GOALIE, W, SAVE %, GAA, SHUTOUT
    12 TEAM H2H, TOTAL KEEPER, NO SALARY CAP.
    ROSTERS-NEED TO START- 6 FOWARDS,4 DEE,2 GOALIES
    6 BENCH PLAYERS.

Dobber Sports Icon

It's tough, if not impossible to give a projection on these guys until we know who drafts them.

Drouin or MacKinnon have a lot better chance of succeeding early in Colorado with some other offensively gifted linemates than they would in Calgary.

You may want to update your sig to show the actual categories you use. "Yahoo Scoring" leaves it open to interpretation.

The way I see it, Mackinnon and Drouin could both be franchise cornerstones in their NHL careers. They are both prolific scorers but I would probably give a slight edge to Drouin after his 105-point season. Both are roughly the same size and play similar games although MacKinnon plays with a bit more of an edge. If you want to go based purely on stats to date, Drouin should edge out MacKinnon, but my gut tells me MacKinnon will be the better player overall. It will really come down to the situation.

I don't know as much about Jones, but his stats and the hype seem to have him right up there with these guys. From a fantasy perspective though, scoring d-men take much longer to develop than forwards. Looking back through D-men who were drafted in the Top 10, you have to go back to 2008 to find any that are significant fantasy producers (Doughty, Pietrangelo). Fowler and Hamilton are the only others who have made any real impact.

In conclusion, toss a coin on MacKinnon or Drouin for 1 and 2 over the next 3 years. They could produce anywhere from 40 - 70 points in that period depending on their situations. Hell, they could post nothing next year if they end up on a team that doesn't want to rush them (ala Huberdeau in FLA). Jones is a distant third for me as a fantasy option for the immediate future.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Giant

id go;

Nathan MacKinnon
    Jonathon Drouin
    Seth Jones
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you're looking for immediate impact, I think MacKinnon is your man. His game is well rounded, he's a bit further along physically, and he competes hard, which, to me, will translate to more ice time and responsibility. He's a cornerstone player in the same way that Henrik Zetterberg is - won't blow you away offensively, but manages the ice superbly in all zones and works well with just about any linemates.

Drouin probably has more fantasy upside over the long term, with superior skill, but he's not quite there in terms of power and defensive ability, which for the time being limits the likelihood of a lot of ice time. It will depend on who drafts him, but I can see him returning to junior next season (if his cup of coffee doesn't produce results a la Mark Scheifele) to put time in to develop physically and round out his game.

Jones will need time to really develop into a fantasy force. It probably won't take as long as it has for a guy like Victor Hedman, whose offensive game was very raw coming out of a Swedish system in which he was asked to concentrate on defense, but adjusting to the speed and physicality of the pro game will take time, much like it did for PK Subban or Kris Letang.
    16 team league, keep 12 plus *4 1st/2nd year players (16 total)
    Points Only (w/ NHL salaries), start 8F/4D/1G
    Note: Defencemen receive 1 point per 45 mins of ice time (1-2 points per week, ~30-35 pts per season).

Forwards:
    L. Couture, F. Forsberg, T. Teravainen, O. Palat, C. Kreider, K. Hayes, *J. Guentzel, R. Rakell, *K. Labanc, B. Point, *C. Fischer
    Defense:
    *S. Theodore, S. Gostisbehere, *M. Matheson, J. Trouba
    Goalie:
    M. Murray

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default thanks

Thank you , guys..Good luck
    Kucherov , Pastrnak , Guentzel Miller, Rantanen
    Teravainen , Cirelli, Nelson , Konecny

Ekblad, Girard, Pionk, Parayko , Graves

Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck , Korpisalo

FARM TEAM --Brannstrom, Drysdale

League Champion-2007-08,2008-09 , 2015-16, 2017-18

Scoring is, G,A,PTS, PPG, PPA, GWG, +/-, SHOTS, GOALIE, W, SAVE %, GAA, SHUTOUT
    12 TEAM H2H, TOTAL KEEPER, NO SALARY CAP.
    ROSTERS-NEED TO START- 6 FOWARDS,4 DEE,2 GOALIES
    6 BENCH PLAYERS.