Thread: Studs & Duds - Saturday, 4/6

Default Studs & Duds - Saturday, 4/6

STUDS

RAY OF HOPE

I really can't say enough about Ray Emery this season. At most an after thought in most drafts - backup, #2 or #3 etc. He's been quitely performing at beast level all year. His 20 SA shutout win yesterday, is 13-1 on the year, 1.95 GAA, a .923 SV%...and he's only 30 yrs old.

I think it's safe to take the Blackhawks off the "Teams in Need of Goalie" list.

RISE of the PHOENIX...maybe?

After missing six games due to injury, Coyotes goalie Mike Smith returns with a statment. Earning the 24 save shutout, last night over Colorado, Smith is a decent #2 or #3 goalie only in W/L leagues.

OVIE! OVIE! OVIE!

Poolies across the continents could be heard chanting the Washington Capitals captain's name after last night's performance. Sir Alex potted a hatty, earned four points on the night. With two of those goals coming on the power play, and other peripheral stats thrown in, this was a night for poolies across league formats to rejoice.

LO! THE KING APPROACHETH!

Any time a goalie stops 48 of 49 shots for the win, he deserves stud status. And Lundqvist is certainly no exception. Unfortunately for the Rangers defensemen, post game reports indicate shouts of agony emanating from the Rangers dressing room to the tune of "Thank you, King, may I have another?!?"

OH CANADA!

Whoever that is singing the national anthem at Canadiens games has one smooth baritone voice. Like butt-uh!

BACK TO HOCKEY...

I'll take Slava Voynov over Muzzin any day, long term/short term...no matter. Voynov recorded a power play goal and three shots on net, in yesterday's win over the Oilers. He continually eats >20 mins of ice time per game, and has seven power play points on the season. He's only going to get more time, if he continues to produce and I see no reason why he wouldn't.

A LITTLE HELP, If YOU WOULD

Henrik Sedin earns NHL career assist #600 and #601. That entire first line had quite an exceptional game yesterday, earn a collective eight points.

TO NO AVAIL....

...Florida's leading goal scorer, Tomas Kopecky, potted two, and now has five points in his last five games.

HONORABLE MENTONS
    • Pavelec earned a very respectable win over the Flyers yesterday, stopping 30 of 31 shots. Unfortunately, his periphs remain middling (2.82 GAA/ .923 SV%) and it's tough to get a read on his wins and losses.
    • Flyers Ruslan Fedotenko has points in his last five. Proceed cautiosly, however, if you are in need of injury fill-ins - his window of production may close any day.
    • Mike Richards now has three points in his last five games. Decent #2 or #3 forward in points-only leagues. Not so much in multi-cat leagues.
    • Jeff Carter is another forward who's worth is more in points only leagues. After yesterday's performance he now has five points in his last five games. His periphs remain lacking.
    • Josh Bailey continues to taunt us poolies. He now has five points in his last five games. Poolies should take note...his last consecutive point streak was a two-gamer (2/24 and 2/26), and he has only 14pts on the year. You have been warned.
    • Alex Galchenyuk's move to Center may be paying off, with two goals in as many games. Gals sits at 8th overall on the rookie points rankings.
    • Braden Holtby earned his third consecutive win yesterday, beating the Florida Panthers.
    • Nick Bjugstad plays his first NHL game and gets one shot off and three hits. He's owned in most all multi-cat dynasty leagues, I would assume. But poolies in limited keepers should keep a keen eye on his progress. His waiver availability will end immediately if there is so much a sniff of an uptick in performance and/or ice time.
    • Mikkel Boedker is picking up steam with five points in his last five games.

DUDS

A FLAME THAT FAILS TO BURN?

In Calgary's last ten games, Kipper has started eight. Of those, he won just once, and is currently eating sh!t sandwich while losing his fifth consecutive game. His periphs are.....meh, why bother.

SPEAKING OF GOALIES TO AVOID....

Stay away from Semy. Varlamov, that is. A loss facing 13 shots on April 1st, benched next two games only to return a lose again yesterday. The only thing more inconsistent than his play is his starts.

OH BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

This is a two-fer, it's just that bad.

Jordan Staal and Jeff Skinner are minus-13 and minus-12 respectively. The former has one point in his last five games, and is clicking at a pedestrian .59 pts/game.

For Skinner it's worse (believe it or not). One goal and one assist in his last TEN games and he's clicking at a .62pts/game pace.

Never took an official poll, but I am going to go out on a limb here and assume this is NOT the production poolies were anticipating.

BORDER CROSSING

You know Tuukka Rask is 2-7-2 versus the Canadiens, accumulating a 2.89 GAA in that span? The Bruins allowed Montreal to pad their standings lead by three.

STINK EYE! (a/k/a bondon's rival?)

Boy when I curse a team, I don't eff around. Weeks back I stated (rather emphatically, in fact) that the Devils were a better, and more formidable team w/Brodeur backstopping the team. The Devils have now lost eight straight and are averaging a mere 1.3 goals per.

Heh....oops.

KANE IS NOT ABLE

Oh his periphs will always be stron for us multi-cat poolies, but we really expect more offense from Evander Kane. Yes, he registered a goal and one assist yesterday. But he has seven points in ten....and six of those points occurred in two games. It's just too inconsistent for points-only poolies.

ANDREW LADD PICK UP THE COURTESY PHONE

We poolies don't demand too much from the Jets captain. But jeebus...either score a goal once in ten games or give me a reach around.

I'll take either.

I'LL HAVE A BLUE, PLEASE

Matt Moulson (did not play last night) for all of March and thus far into April (17 games) has but two goals, is even in the +/- department and averages 2.12 shots/game. Must be aggravating for poolies in any format, wondering what to do with him.

PEKKE-ing ORDER

Interesting tids o'bits on the Nash net minder...
    • Longest win streak this season - 4 games
    • # of four game win streaks - 1
    • # of 2 and 3 game win streaks - 1 (respetively)
    • Yet only one of his losses was isolated. All other losses came w/2, 3 or four consecutively similar outcomes.
    • Point being, when Rinne loses they're in bundles.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; April 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Very good work, Bomm. You've been solid all year. This may be your best to date Enjoyable to say the least.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Genius

Smoothhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Thanks for the kind words, gents. I corrected some typos...suffice to say, Emery won 13 games this season rather than the 31 originally reported.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Very good work, Bomm. You've been solid all year. This may be your best to date Enjoyable to say the least.
    Definitely - everyone who writes these up has been doing a great job. Love reading these!
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, gents. I corrected some typos...suffice to say, Emery won 13 games this season rather than the 31 originally reported.
    He asked for a 13, but Bomm drew a 31.

:P
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates