Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Attention HNIC

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    I still enjoy listening to games on the radio and letting my imagination , along with the comentators play by play , form a vision of the actual game.
    I do agree about listening to games on the radio. I enjoy it too but having Cole do the play by play and letting my imagination do the rest might leave me feeling like I just had a bad acid trip.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    Glenn Healy should commentate games by himself, play by play, and analysis.

Yeah.............................................. .....................................
    ... on his couch, in his living room, away from microphones. Putting forth a good "compete level" at eating nachos.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you want a super accurate, but non-colorful game described to you, then Bob Cole is not for you. However, nothing, and I mean nothing, gets me more amped up than a big game with Cole on the mic. Call me sentimental. I don't care if he occasionally gets a player wrong, the way he amps up the play, no one else does it better. OH BOY!

Hughson is the sound of paint drying. Chris Cuthbert? Ears bleeding.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Maybe I'm just different but I actually enjoy watching HNIC. Maybe it's more tradition than anything but I always look forward to it.

Some people say stupid things but who doesn't on other programming (Milbury, Roenick, etc.)

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Maybe I'm just different but I actually enjoy watching HNIC. Maybe it's more tradition than anything but I always look forward to it.

Some people say stupid things but who doesn't on other programming (Milbury, Roenick, etc.)
    This is my perspective as well. I am jealous of their jobs and believe I am competent enough to do what they do to the level that they do. Not sure if that's a compliment or an insult hahaha

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    This is my perspective as well. I am jealous of their jobs and believe I am competent enough to do what they do to the level that they do. Not sure if that's a compliment or an insult hahaha
    Haha I know, it's honestly a dream job. Paid to watch hockey and talk about it, and you don't even have to be right. LOL.

Whenever I can I try to stay awake for After Hours because I always forget to watch them on Youtube. Scott Oake is kind of weird and I think he tries too hard to be the old guy that's hip with technology and "The Twitter" but I like seeing the players/coaches talk about both hockey and non-hockey related items.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Just read this and remembered this thread and thought I would share.

"A game called by Bob Cole is like driving and getting directions from your grandma. Every obvious sign gets read and you still get lost."

Too funny and so true.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BDog View Post
    Just read this and remembered this thread and thought I would share.

"A game called by Bob Cole is like driving and getting directions from your grandma. Every obvious sign gets read and you still get lost."

Too funny and so true.
    You know, during the regular season you only run accross him once in a while, but come the playoffs CBC really throws him under the bus. They should be ashamed of themselves for pumping the old guy out there in front of the nation when they know he is so incapable...

Embarassing....hard to listen to
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Bob Cole is still the best play by play guy HNIC has. Hughson is awful.
    They never should have let Cuthbert go. He and Miller are the two best in Canada.
    And you should be ashamed of yourself to say Cole should be taken off the air while someone like Stock is sitting there struggling to mumble out sentence after sentence. That guy is awful to the core. Cole is just old. Show some respect for a legend.

"OHHH BABY!"
    He needs to retire so he can be remembered for what he did when he was good....its become a joke and its tarnishing what he will be remebered for.

He is a bumbling old fool...and thats what he will always be to me....

Hab fans and leaf fans all stand up for himbecause he did all their games for years...but come on....give up on the 'legend' and quit giving him a pass because he has been around forever....

its time to go Bob...
    REDRUM

LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson

Dobber Sports Veteran

Bob Cole is still the best play by play guy HNIC has. Hughson is awful.
    Thats a sad state of affairs....

Gary Galley was holding his hand all night....
    REDRUM

Dobber Sports Deity

A guy I would love to hear on HNIC would be Paul Romanuk. He lives in England now and works primarily over there, calling the odd game for TSN during international tourneys. He's over there due to his wifes employment I believe. I cant remember what she does but I remember reading that she makes a ridiculous amount of money over there so he moved with her. He would be ideal for CBC. Great announcer!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd be fine with them replacing him, if they had someone of the calibre of Miller or Cuthbert waiting in behind him. Or even someone like Emrick.
    But they don't have anyone even nearly as good as those 3 guys.

I don't need a guy to explain the game to me. I need the unique voice and the excitement level, and Cole still brings that.

I guess some fans prefer someone like Hughson pointing out 45 times every game that teams try to shoot high on butterfly goalies.
    Gee, thanks for the hockey clinic, CBC.
    I'm of the same mind. The scientific breakdown of the game can be done during the intermission, but during the game I'd rather listen to Bob Cole just say random things but to do it with emotion.

Dobber Sports Genius

The problem just doesnt lie with Bob Cole its the whole CBC's HNIC. Yes Cole should of retired 15 years ago but for being Canada's go to Saturday Night and NHL playoff hockey program they sure suck at it. Its to the point that I cant watch it half the time. I look to see if the game is on NBC and switch stations if I can. There are only 2 things I like about HNIC and that is the opening sequence and Elliott Freedman. Everyone else on the broadcast are just idiots. Their "expert panel" is just brutal. I would rather have guys/gals from Dobber talk about hockey on CBC than the crap that is on there now. When did TSN become the best at sports coverage in Canada? Why did CBC let them? CBC used to have the best play by play announcers in the business but those days are long gone. My ears bleed when listening to HNIC when they broadcast a game. And then there is Coaches Corner, can someone please tell me why that is still on? I would rather watch Anne of Green Gables than that piece of crap.

Howie Meeker was my favorite hockey play by play man of all time. Wish I was older so I could of heard him cover more games.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    And then there is Coaches Corner, can someone please tell me why that is still on? I would rather watch Anne of Green Gables than that piece of crap.
    Yeah, it could go as well...
    REDRUM

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    And then there is Coaches Corner, can someone please tell me why that is still on? I would rather watch Anne of Green Gables than that piece of crap.

Coaches Corner is one of the few options for entertainment on HNIC. I still enjoy listening to Don ramble on. I guess I am just old and old school.

And second, for the early games they need to stop calling it Hockey Night in Canada. Its not Hockey Night in Canada, its Hockey Night in Toronto. There are other Canadian teams playing on Saturday night other then just the Maple Leafs.

Its getting as bad as TSN, the "Toronto Sports Network".
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."