Thread: Quick for Niemi

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Quick for Niemi

The GM that owns Quick is looking to move him and wants a goalie in return. I have coveted Quick for a long time but, now that I have a shot at him, I'm worried that Quick is coming back to earth and Niemi is taking off, and that it will stay that way. Am I right to worry?

My two goalies right now are Kipper and Niemi. I was very comfortable with that going into the season, but obviously with Kipper expected to retire at the end of the year I'm in a serious bind. It's tough to win this league without 3 solid starters. Getting Quick wouldn't solve that problem, but having him could be a big leg up if he can return to form. I'd be able to spot start in other goalies and get by that way.

It's for the league below and, as always, rep for anyone that can help me out.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If you're able to pull it off, it's a great trade for you. Quick is a great buy low at moment and once Bernier gets moved his value only increases.
    10 team keeper league points only
    pts: g=1 a=1 w=3 so=2 Cap 99.21m
    starting roster 12f, 6d, 1g Current Cap 99.12
    Forwards
    Malkin, Scheifele, Gaudreau, Kessel, Point, Atkinson, Palmieri, Bratt, Tuch, Borgstrom, Fiala, Steel
    Defense
    Hedman, Krug, Muzzin, Subban, Yandle, Brodie,
    Goalie
    Bobrovsky
    Reserves
    Hinostroza, Brannstrom, Andersson, Vaakanainen, Blackwood

Dobber Sports Expert

Are you in contention this season? There's really not reason to think Niemi will be anything other than excellent the rest of the way this season. If you're in contention I probably stick with what I have and address the G situation in the off-season.

Both G have pretty comparable career averages in SV% and GAA, but Quick is 2 years younger and I believe LA is a younger and more talented team going forward. I see SJ slowing down in the coming years as they're older and their prospect pool isn't as deep. Additionally, Sutter coaching LA ensures Quick will always have the more responsible team system in front of him...for the immediate future.

LA can impossibly hang onto Quick and Bernier indefinitely and I believe they will choose Quick. Long-term I do this deal. Worst case scenario you've traded comparable assets and gotten a bit younger. Ideally, you win this deal beginning next season.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post
    Are you in contention this season?
    Should have mentioned this earlier, but I'm way out of it at this point. I'm actually going to put a few guys (Crosby, Letang) on IR so that, even if they come back, they won't help me. It's a sort of mini-tank.
    16 team, full keeper
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Expert

Long-term I like this move for you.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Initiate

Just accepted it. Quick straight-up for Niemi. Hope Quick can return to form next season.
    16 team, full keeper

Dobber Sports Veteran

The big x-factor here is Quick's salary potentially handicapping the Kings moving forward. All things being equal, he and Niemi are arguably close to even aside from age and where they play. Obviously, I think Quick's career best will edge Niemi's but other factors must be considered.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    The big x-factor here is Quick's salary potentially handicapping the Kings moving forward. All things being equal, he and Niemi are arguably close to even aside from age and where they play. Obviously, I think Quick's career best will edge Niemi's but other factors must be considered.
    The thing that I like about this is that if I had proposed this before the season started I would have been laughed at. People were very unsure of Niemi's staying power in San Jose and Quick had just come off a Conn Smythe and Vezina winning season, and he was widely regarded as the 2nd best goalie around. He's not been great this season, but at the same time he's not suddenly a sub-900 sv% goalie either, and he's been much better lately. The Kings as a whole started the year really shakily.

The contract issue is an interesting one. Niemi is making 3.8 mil this season (and for a few more years) to Quick's 1.8, but that jumps to 5.8 next season. That's only a difference of 2 mil from Niemi to Quick. Hopefully that won't make too much of a difference, but time will tell. Thanks for your input, everyone!
    16 team, full keeper