View Poll Results: Kessel or Seguin who is the better real world hockey player right now.

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kessel

    32 50.00%
  • Seguin

    32 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

Thread: Kessel or Seguin who is the better hockey player today!

  1. #16
    Location
    T.O
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    I like Kessel but didn't Boston steal the deal by aquiring Rask in that trade?

    Imagine Rask as TOs' starter right now...sorry Leaf fans.

    There was a recent article that showed Kessel has actually won the trade
    for 3 or 4 of the past 5 years.The article was here in "dobberland" somewhere.

    POOL ON!
    I won't comment on that articular to much except to say I don't know how a team wins a trade in anyone of the years if they move there first and don't make the playoffs and the other team wins a cup and is perennial contends. Seems like your leaving out a very important aspect of thing WINNING.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

    grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

  2. #17
    smoothfun's Avatar
    smoothfun is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,010
    Location
    nova scotia
    Rep Power
    26

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default

    Please search the article , read it , then re-comment.

    Don't shoot the messenger.

    Yes you can say Boston wins year one of the trade because they won the cup but ,
    did Sequin play as big a role in that cup run as Kessel could have?

    The article suggests NOT!

    I know I took Sequin in my play-off pool that year and he didn't hurt my outcome,
    Mind you he was one of my deepest picks , gamble pick really.
    Honestly , Thomas is the biggest reason the Bruins won that cup , IMO.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

    LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

  3. #18
    Location
    T.O
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    Please search the article , read it , then re-comment.

    Don't shoot the messenger.

    Yes you can say Boston wins year one of the trade because they won the cup but ,
    did Sequin play as big a role in that cup run as Kessel could have?

    The article suggests NOT!

    I know I took Sequin in my play-off pool that year and he didn't hurt my outcome,
    Mind you he was one of my deepest picks , gamble pick really.
    Honestly , Thomas is the biggest reason the Bruins won that cup , IMO.

    I have read the article ty. But if your trading two first round picks and haven't made the playoffs since that day it is ludicrous to suggest that you have won any year of the trade up until that point. It doesn't even matter if Boston had won a cup or not or if Seguin even played in the NHL YET If you trade your picks to make your team better and your team does not get better you can't suggest you are winning a trade at any point
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

    grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

  4. #19
    Location
    T.O
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default

    Further more this is not fantasy hockey we are talking about this is real hockey. Boston won the cup with Seguin in the lineup and as a plus player, there is no way to know if Kessel goe's minus 10 in that playoffs like he always has in his career and loses the cup for the team. Or if he get's in a fight with Thomas at the bar and ruins the chemistry of the team and they lose the cup. The FACT that Kessel has outscored Seguin every year since that trade means nothing in the scheme of things. The only thing that matters is winning. That is just my opinion apologize if I come across as an ass, it is just my way.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

    grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

  5. #20
    Rep Power
    9

    Dobber Sports Apprentice

    Default

    Even if Kessel is better, Seguin had 3 years of an ELC while Kessel has had a $5.4M cap hit every season with the Leafs. And you don't "replace" Hamilton. You could have both Hamilton and Franson, they are not mutually exclusive.

  6. #21
    Location
    Ontario
    Rep Power
    12

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Further more this is not fantasy hockey we are talking about this is real hockey. Boston won the cup with Seguin in the lineup and as a plus player, there is no way to know if Kessel goe's minus 10 in that playoffs like he always has in his career and loses the cup for the team. Or if he get's in a fight with Thomas at the bar and ruins the chemistry of the team and they lose the cup. The FACT that Kessel has outscored Seguin every year since that trade means nothing in the scheme of things. The only thing that matters is winning. That is just my opinion apologize if I come across as an ass, it is just my way.
    The Bruins had a better team than the Leafs before the trade and they have a better team after it. Kessel makes the Leafs better AT THIS POINT than Seguin would. Hamilton is too green to tell anything yet and Knight hasn't played in the NHL. Chances are, the Bruins win this trade in the long run. The fact that Kessel has outscored Seguin every year since the trade means a lot. That's what Burke was going for. He wanted an established scorer, and he got one. Did he give up too much? Yeah, probably. Kessel's a good offensive player though, and will be for a while. It's too bad that those two first-rounders will always hang over his head in Toronto.

    3rd year Keeper League, Fantrax

    12 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (2), FOW (0.2), FOL (-0.2), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1)

    C (3) - Malkin (RW)(IR), Bergeron, Plekanec, Backlund, Bonino, Bjugstad
    LW (3) - Ovechkin, Marchand, Hoffman (C), Janmark
    RW (3) - Hossa, Neal (LW), Stone (IR), Brouwer, Eaves, Wingels
    D (4) - Byfuglien (RW), Klingberg (IR), Niskanen, Suter, Parayko, Ekholm, Reilly
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Rinne, Anderson, Korpisalo, Darling



  7. #22
    Location
    T.O
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    The Bruins had a better team than the Leafs before the trade and they have a better team after it. Kessel makes the Leafs better AT THIS POINT than Seguin would. Hamilton is too green to tell anything yet and Knight hasn't played in the NHL. Chances are, the Bruins win this trade in the long run. The fact that Kessel has outscored Seguin every year since the trade means a lot. That's what Burke was going for. He wanted an established scorer, and he got one. Did he give up too much? Yeah, probably. Kessel's a good offensive player though, and will be for a while. It's too bad that those two first-rounders will always hang over his head in Toronto.
    So Burke was going for a player who would score lots and lead him to 0 playoff games in his tenure when he moved his next two first rd picks and was probably a major contributing factor to him getting fired. I see. To argue that Kessel is better then Seguin is at this point is far enough (that's why I asked the question) to argue that the Leafs have won 1 milla second of this trade so far is crazy imho. Burke made the deal because he is arrogant and thought he could turn the team into a contender immediately and he failed completely. Hence they have lost the deal so far imo. I
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

    grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

  8. #23
    Location
    Ottawa/Timmins
    Rep Power
    12

    Dobber Sports Ace

    Default

    I think when were asking the question, points matter but only to a certain degree. If it we're in a fantasy pool, maybe the point arguments may matter.

    But if I'm an actual GM and have the chance at either Seguin or Kessel, right now, I take Seguin. He's just the better all around player that I would want on my team.
    11 team Keeper Points-Only League
    4C - 4LW - 4RW - 6D - 2G

    2013 1st Place, 2014 1st Place
    C= Stamkos, Tavares, Getzlaf
    LW=
    RW= Perry, Seguin, Ovechkin
    D=
    G= Rask
    Prospect: Silfverberg, Kuznetsov

  9. #24
    Location
    Calgary
    Rep Power
    30

    Dobber Sports Veteran

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skin Blues View Post
    Even if Kessel is better, Seguin had 3 years of an ELC while Kessel has had a $5.4M cap hit every season with the Leafs. And you don't "replace" Hamilton. You could have both Hamilton and Franson, they are not mutually exclusive.
    Bingo.
    Not only is Seguin the better all around player, the Bruins gained tremendous cap flexibility which played a big factor in their cup win. Hamilton and Knight are gravy.

    Kessel is probably the more dynamic offensive threat, but if I'm building a team from scratch, and I had to choose one of these guys as a cornerstone... it is Seguin for me, easily. And that's coming from a Leafs fan!

  10. #25
    Location
    T.O
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skin Blues View Post
    Even if Kessel is better, Seguin had 3 years of an ELC while Kessel has had a $5.4M cap hit every season with the Leafs. And you don't "replace" Hamilton. You could have both Hamilton and Franson, they are not mutually exclusive.
    Brilliant and perfect point! Well done sir!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

    grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

  11. #26
    smoothfun's Avatar
    smoothfun is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,010
    Location
    nova scotia
    Rep Power
    26

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default

    Excuse me , I took it in the context of a fantasy hockey question.
    That is why I agree that Sequin is the better over-all player and is a great addition to a strong Boston team that can transcsend it's players without sacrificing the over all team.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

    LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

  12. #27
    Location
    T.O
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    Excuse me , I took it in the context of a fantasy hockey question.
    That is why I agree that Sequin is the better over-all player and is a great addition to a strong Boston team that can transcsend it's players without sacrificing the over all team.
    smoothmove Sir lol that is funny!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

    grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

  13. #28
    Location
    Ontario
    Rep Power
    12

    Dobber Sports Initiate

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    So Burke was going for a player who would score lots and lead him to 0 playoff games in his tenure when he moved his next two first rd picks and was probably a major contributing factor to him getting fired. I see. To argue that Kessel is better then Seguin is at this point is far enough (that's why I asked the question) to argue that the Leafs have won 1 milla second of this trade so far is crazy imho. Burke made the deal because he is arrogant and thought he could turn the team into a contender immediately and he failed completely. Hence they have lost the deal so far imo. I
    I feel like we're beating a dead horse here, but Seguin would have led him to zero playoff games as well. You can shine a turd all you want, but in the end it's still just a turd.

    3rd year Keeper League, Fantrax

    12 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (2), FOW (0.2), FOL (-0.2), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1)

    C (3) - Malkin (RW)(IR), Bergeron, Plekanec, Backlund, Bonino, Bjugstad
    LW (3) - Ovechkin, Marchand, Hoffman (C), Janmark
    RW (3) - Hossa, Neal (LW), Stone (IR), Brouwer, Eaves, Wingels
    D (4) - Byfuglien (RW), Klingberg (IR), Niskanen, Suter, Parayko, Ekholm, Reilly
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Rinne, Anderson, Korpisalo, Darling



  14. #29
    Location
    T.O
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Sage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    I feel like we're beating a dead horse here, but Seguin would have led him to zero playoff games as well. You can shine a turd all you want, but in the end it's still just a turd.
    I fell the same way. Were not going to get anywhere.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

    grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

  15. #30
    smoothfun's Avatar
    smoothfun is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,010
    Location
    nova scotia
    Rep Power
    26

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default

    Hey Toronto is looking like thier transistion plan is doing ok & I'd suggest Burke had a little bit to do with that.

    Here's what bothers me though , did they lose out on Hall/

    That's the real loss , if he can stay relatively injury free he is going to chase some records.

    It's been a while but Edmonton is looking like they've cloned some alumni players into a new team!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

    LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •