Poll: Kessel or Seguin who is the better real world hockey player right now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kessel or Seguin who is the better hockey player today!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    I like Kessel but didn't Boston steal the deal by aquiring Rask in that trade?

Imagine Rask as TOs' starter right now...sorry Leaf fans.

There was a recent article that showed Kessel has actually won the trade
    for 3 or 4 of the past 5 years.The article was here in "dobberland" somewhere.

POOL ON!
    I won't comment on that articular to much except to say I don't know how a team wins a trade in anyone of the years if they move there first and don't make the playoffs and the other team wins a cup and is perennial contends. Seems like your leaving out a very important aspect of thing WINNING.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Genius

Please search the article , read it , then re-comment.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Yes you can say Boston wins year one of the trade because they won the cup but ,
    did Sequin play as big a role in that cup run as Kessel could have?

The article suggests NOT!

I know I took Sequin in my play-off pool that year and he didn't hurt my outcome,
    Mind you he was one of my deepest picks , gamble pick really.
    Honestly , Thomas is the biggest reason the Bruins won that cup , IMO.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Sage

Please search the article , read it , then re-comment.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Yes you can say Boston wins year one of the trade because they won the cup but ,
    did Sequin play as big a role in that cup run as Kessel could have?

The article suggests NOT!

I know I took Sequin in my play-off pool that year and he didn't hurt my outcome,
    Mind you he was one of my deepest picks , gamble pick really.
    Honestly , Thomas is the biggest reason the Bruins won that cup , IMO.

I have read the article ty. But if your trading two first round picks and haven't made the playoffs since that day it is ludicrous to suggest that you have won any year of the trade up until that point. It doesn't even matter if Boston had won a cup or not or if Seguin even played in the NHL YET If you trade your picks to make your team better and your team does not get better you can't suggest you are winning a trade at any point

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Sage

Further more this is not fantasy hockey we are talking about this is real hockey. Boston won the cup with Seguin in the lineup and as a plus player, there is no way to know if Kessel goe's minus 10 in that playoffs like he always has in his career and loses the cup for the team. Or if he get's in a fight with Thomas at the bar and ruins the chemistry of the team and they lose the cup. The FACT that Kessel has outscored Seguin every year since that trade means nothing in the scheme of things. The only thing that matters is winning. That is just my opinion apologize if I come across as an ass, it is just my way.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Even if Kessel is better, Seguin had 3 years of an ELC while Kessel has had a $5.4M cap hit every season with the Leafs. And you don't "replace" Hamilton. You could have both Hamilton and Franson, they are not mutually exclusive.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Further more this is not fantasy hockey we are talking about this is real hockey. Boston won the cup with Seguin in the lineup and as a plus player, there is no way to know if Kessel goe's minus 10 in that playoffs like he always has in his career and loses the cup for the team. Or if he get's in a fight with Thomas at the bar and ruins the chemistry of the team and they lose the cup. The FACT that Kessel has outscored Seguin every year since that trade means nothing in the scheme of things. The only thing that matters is winning. That is just my opinion apologize if I come across as an ass, it is just my way.
    The Bruins had a better team than the Leafs before the trade and they have a better team after it. Kessel makes the Leafs better AT THIS POINT than Seguin would. Hamilton is too green to tell anything yet and Knight hasn't played in the NHL. Chances are, the Bruins win this trade in the long run. The fact that Kessel has outscored Seguin every year since the trade means a lot. That's what Burke was going for. He wanted an established scorer, and he got one. Did he give up too much? Yeah, probably. Kessel's a good offensive player though, and will be for a while. It's too bad that those two first-rounders will always hang over his head in Toronto.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    The Bruins had a better team than the Leafs before the trade and they have a better team after it. Kessel makes the Leafs better AT THIS POINT than Seguin would. Hamilton is too green to tell anything yet and Knight hasn't played in the NHL. Chances are, the Bruins win this trade in the long run. The fact that Kessel has outscored Seguin every year since the trade means a lot. That's what Burke was going for. He wanted an established scorer, and he got one. Did he give up too much? Yeah, probably. Kessel's a good offensive player though, and will be for a while. It's too bad that those two first-rounders will always hang over his head in Toronto.
    So Burke was going for a player who would score lots and lead him to 0 playoff games in his tenure when he moved his next two first rd picks and was probably a major contributing factor to him getting fired. I see. To argue that Kessel is better then Seguin is at this point is far enough (that's why I asked the question) to argue that the Leafs have won 1 milla second of this trade so far is crazy imho. Burke made the deal because he is arrogant and thought he could turn the team into a contender immediately and he failed completely. Hence they have lost the deal so far imo. I

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Stud

I think when were asking the question, points matter but only to a certain degree. If it we're in a fantasy pool, maybe the point arguments may matter.

But if I'm an actual GM and have the chance at either Seguin or Kessel, right now, I take Seguin. He's just the better all around player that I would want on my team.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Skin Blues View Post
    Even if Kessel is better, Seguin had 3 years of an ELC while Kessel has had a $5.4M cap hit every season with the Leafs. And you don't "replace" Hamilton. You could have both Hamilton and Franson, they are not mutually exclusive.
    Brilliant and perfect point! Well done sir!

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Genius

Excuse me , I took it in the context of a fantasy hockey question.
    That is why I agree that Sequin is the better over-all player and is a great addition to a strong Boston team that can transcsend it's players without sacrificing the over all team.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

Dobber Sports Sage

Excuse me , I took it in the context of a fantasy hockey question.
    That is why I agree that Sequin is the better over-all player and is a great addition to a strong Boston team that can transcsend it's players without sacrificing the over all team.
    smoothmove Sir lol that is funny!

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    So Burke was going for a player who would score lots and lead him to 0 playoff games in his tenure when he moved his next two first rd picks and was probably a major contributing factor to him getting fired. I see. To argue that Kessel is better then Seguin is at this point is far enough (that's why I asked the question) to argue that the Leafs have won 1 milla second of this trade so far is crazy imho. Burke made the deal because he is arrogant and thought he could turn the team into a contender immediately and he failed completely. Hence they have lost the deal so far imo. I
    I feel like we're beating a dead horse here, but Seguin would have led him to zero playoff games as well. You can shine a turd all you want, but in the end it's still just a turd.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    I feel like we're beating a dead horse here, but Seguin would have led him to zero playoff games as well. You can shine a turd all you want, but in the end it's still just a turd.
    I fell the same way. Were not going to get anywhere.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Genius

Hey Toronto is looking like thier transistion plan is doing ok & I'd suggest Burke had a little bit to do with that.

Here's what bothers me though , did they lose out on Hall/

That's the real loss , if he can stay relatively injury free he is going to chase some records.

It's been a while but Edmonton is looking like they've cloned some alumni players into a new team!

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks bbb , this is a fantasy hockey site right?
    I could have sworn I signed out of that other chat room , mind you we were discussing sequins and cooking vessels...so who won the recipee trade ; the Flaming Alaska owner or the one who gave up 2 key ingrediants in thier recipee?

COOK ON!