Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Calling Out My Fellow Leaf Fans (venting)

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Calling Out My Fellow Leaf Fans (venting)

Yesterday in a different thread I said that my fellow Leaf fans were some of the most knowledgeable sports fans in the world, well that was a bold face lie. Today I'm convinced the majority of them no less about the building of a franchise then my 5 year old daughter (not an exaggeration, I'm being completely serious and would rather her run the Leafs then 99 percent of them). Now let's get to my point! At 10 after 3 yesterday I start receiving an endless stream of texts laughing at me and telling me Nonis did the right thing by doing nothing yesterday. All of the people whom sent these texts were my friends who think the Kessel deal was great and argue it with me to the death (close to 20 people). How the **** can you possibly defend the Kessel deal in 1 breath and then defend doing nothing at the deadline when were actually decent in the next breath. It is INSANE!!! So when your team has not made the playoffs in 5 years you trade your next two firsts in the OFFSEASON and then when your team is going to the playoffs and is decent you do nothing at the deadline when top 6 players are being given away all over the place for free. To defend both sides of this is ****ing crazy. You can't do it unless your stupid or on crack. It completely reeks of someone who knows nothing about sports and the way teams are build and is just willing to allow our management to do anything ass backwards and love it. If you like the Kessel deal fine, far enough. Your wrong but O.K. You like the fact that the Leafs did nothing yesterday fine, your wrong but fine. But to defend both sides is just utterly ridiculous and I'm about to go get my Leafs tattoo covered up because I can not take another 30 years of finishing 6-10. Vent over.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Jeez man, learn to use some paragraphs.

I don't know what (if anything) the Kessel deal has to do with Kipper...

I'm glad they stayed put. I did not want to give up anything meaningful to acquire him... he has clearly checked out. There's no sense potentially trading away our future if we're not in a serious position to win it all... and even if we were, not sure I'd feel any more comfortable with Kipper in net than Reimer/Scrivens.

To borrow shoeless' line: let's dance with the person who brought us to the party.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What were they going to do? Nonis tried to convince Kiprusoff to come, but he was respectful because Kiprusoff decided to stay with Calgary citing family reasons and likely retire after the season.

They made a very minor move and acquired a big, physical D in O'Byrne. I see nothing wrong with that. If you look at the prices that were being paid for "star" players yesterday at the deadline, if I was a Leafs fan I would be glad they only made one move. Basically, they would've had to move Rielly to get Erat. McPhee agreed to move Forsberg for him, but that's just insane.

To acquire Gaborik, they would have to move three or four pieces like Columbus did. To acquire Pominville, all you have to do is give up your top goalie prospect, one of your top forward prospects, a first and second round pick.

The Kessel deal is something different, but other than that trade the Leafs haven't really made that many bad calls as far as I'm concerned the past few years. Sure, they overpaid for certain guys (ie Komisarek, Connolly), but if they didn't sign those guys someone else would have. That's a fact. Burke deserves credit for their success this year, almost all the players he brought in are the guys making the difference for the Leafs.

The Leafs have the opportunity to sign a guy like Niklas Backstrom or Mike Smith this summer if they really want another proven goalie.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Sage

Lol, my phone I just talk and it spews it out. My point is... Well see you don't even get my point and your a knowledgeable fan. If you defend trading both our first when were shit and then defend doing nothing when were actually decent. Your defending ass backwards shit and are complacent with a mediocre team for the next 30 years.

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    If you defend trading both our first when were shit and then defend doing nothing when were actually decent. Your defending ass backwards shit and are complacent with a mediocre team for the next 30 years.
    I read that three times over and I STILL don't understand wtf what you're talking about lol.

I hated the Kessel trade... to this day I still think it was a horrible deal, but that has nothing to do with Kipper. It's a completely different situation now.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Lol, my phone I just talk and it spews it out. My point is... Well see you don't even get my point and your a knowledgeable fan. If you defend trading both our first when were shit and then defend doing nothing when were actually decent. Your defending ass backwards shit and are complacent with a mediocre team for the next 30 years.
    I'm not defending that deal, obviously it didn't work out well. I'm just saying that they were smart to lay low on deadline day. Of course I get your point dude! lol
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Sage

Dm, do something, anything! I don't even care, just improve the team a little. The team has not gone to the playoffs in a decade!! To suggest that the moves we have made are pretty good recently is insane bro. We are a cap team that has had nothing but lottery picks for a decade our farm should look like Minnys and you spouted off some of our bad free agent signing recently? Ill tell you what. Spout off 1 just 1 real good free agent signing.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I got to say...and maybe I'm clueless, but I don't understand your arguement. And Backassword comments. Would you have preferred to do nothing when the team is shit...and then potentialy destroy the chemistry that got them to where they are when the playoffs are MORE than in their grasp?

Sounds like you're making an arguement into a mirror.

But maybe I'm clueless and not knowledgable?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I read that three times over and I STILL don't understand wtf what you're talking about lol.

I hated the Kessel trade... to this day I still think it was a horrible deal, but that has nothing to do with Kipper. It's a completely different situation now.
    Um yeah. Agreed.

I know I'll get labelled by saying that at the time, I didn't really mind the Kessel deal. This team had (as you say - not Blayze) DONE NOTHING FOR YEARS. It was refreshing to see a deal of this magnitude get done. And if the leafs had not finished in a position to have the 2nd over all pick... I doubt we'd be rip'n this deal apart as much as it is these days.

Hind sight.

But like Blayze (and others) said... What they/Burke did then and what they/Nonis did now really are independent of each other.

Look at Columbus...They're shit...hovering around a usual Leaf 9th place finish and I admire the moves that they have made. It will likely end up failing, but helluvan effort.

In the same breath...I hate...no bad choice of words...I am still perplexed as to why Stevey Y thought he'd trade a potential Calder winer (no hind sight here) for essentially...another shot at Lindback. There's a move I think Tampa may not have had to make (could have dealt with in the offseason) and been better for it.

Note that Chicago and Detroit (Leafs are between them) didn't make any moves...Are they painted with the same brush?

You can't look at years past to justify a move THIS YEAR. If it makes sense to acheive your goals this year...make the move...but don't just make moves for the sake of justify potential mistakes in the past.

Meh...but I'm a clueless leaf fan. Never mind!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dm, do something, anything! I don't even care, just improve the team a little. The team has not gone to the playoffs in a decade!! To suggest that the moves we have made are pretty good recently is insane bro. We are a cap team that has had nothing but lottery picks for a decade our farm should look like Minnys and you spouted off some of our bad free agent signing recently? Ill tell you what. Spout off 1 just 1 real good free agent signing.
    So, you want to make a deal for the sake of making a deal? I'm not a Leafs fan, but being in the GTA, I hear enough about them. From what I can tell, you'd be nuts to disrupt the chemistry for no reason. They're in a playoff spot, they've been in the 5th to 6th place range all year. Why break it to bring in an aging goalie or a forward who doesn't fit? You want to improve the team a little? They brought in Ryan O'Byrne, there ya go!

The Kessel deal also has NOTHING to do with anything. Different GM, different CBA, different situation. The Leafs are in a good spot, why mess with it?

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Icon

I agree bbb, I mean, would anyone really want a guy like this running their franchise?

Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Sage

Note, Chicago is a beast because when they were shit they didn't trade there draft picks and they added Hossa at the deadline when they were good. It doesn't matter anyway. My point that no body is getting is just being proven by every post that disagrees with me. It doesn't matter what they do and how crap they are for how long everyone in this city will just love whatever they do. If they had moved all of there young players for aging players yesterday everyone would have said how great the moves are. I just wanted a glimmer of hope and for them to do something to improve the team a little. Trade Gardiner, he is redundant with Reilly coming along. I didn't want them to blow anything up I just wanted a glimmer of hope... Whatever I guess I'm nuts. When they get bounced in four and when they finish 6-12 for the next decade again will see who's nuts....

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

there was nothing at the deadline available this year that would have helped them win the cup. barring a miracle of course, the leafs just arent strong enough to beat a team like the pens, hawks, etc in a 7 game series.

leafs will need to build through the draft and free agency, as that is the only way they can get top assets without giving up anything. theyve already shown they can be playoff contenders with their current squad. with more experience and a few more good pieces they could be cup contenders.

live today to fight tomorrow. no point sacrificing future pieces for the win now when they wont win now even if they do.

Dobber Sports All-Star

You know there are worst things out there than the Kessel for Seguin/Hamilton trade. Toronto did afterall trade a prospect named Tukka Rask to Boston in exchange for Andrew Raycroft couple years earlier. Sometimes the best deals are the ones that should never have been made.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I hated the Kessel deal from day 1. It was wrong on so many levels. Too many people focus on the stats and say the Leafs did fine. But they ignore so many other aspects of that deal and it would annoy me to explain it all again. I've done it enough times.

As for yesterday, my only complaint is that they DIDN'T do nothing. Admittedly, I've only seen O'Byrne play a few times, but his advanced stats are bordering on awful. I hate that trade.
    Ty that is exactly my point. They did nothing and it is infuriating to me. To do nothing when you should do something and do ridiculous things when you shouldn't do anything and the majority of intelligent people I know defend this crap.

O'bryan is one of the worst players in the league.

Your the one who agrees with me on my Schenn rant 2 years ago... how did that work out lmao.

grammar Nazi
    Noun