Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's up with the Pens?

Dobber Sports Stud

Lack of crosby has a big part to do with it, I think. It shows you just how valuable he is to the team.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    I could be crazy and I dont feel like trying to look it up but it seems to me the Pens always struggle when Letang is out. His transition game is great and he logs a lot of miutes which takes pressure off the other Dmen. I wouldnt be surprised if the Pens record without Letang is worse than their record without Geno or Crosby
    Agreed 100%. When Crosby or Malkin are out, as long as the other is healthy the Pens seem to do just fine. But they have no replacement for Letang.... As much as Sid and Geno are the Pens best players, I actually think Letang might be their most important. The team just seems to struggle a lot more when he's out.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Banned

The Pens have a garbage defense. That's their main issue.

Dobber Sports Ace

Pens D and G have been inconsistent for going on 2 seasons...some nights the O can hide/overcome it, but others they get exposed like in the playoff loss to the Flyers last season and a bunch of times this season...Murray can hit and play tough along the boards, but speed kills this D...thought the Pens would do more to shore up the backend instead of at F where they are already strong
    Last edited by Front89; April 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Yea, its not really anything to worry about. Niskanen isn't out but Martin is, and I would say anyone missing their 2 best defensmen and their best player is going to struggle for a couple games before they learn to adapt.
    in comparison really makes it amazing how well Senators are doing without Spezza + Karlsson + Michalek + Anderson. Going into preseason you'd expect those 4 as their keys to the season.

When the Senators struggled for a few years it was because no dman could send a decent outlet pass to the forwards to come across the blue line with speed (despite still having Spezza/Heatley/Alfie just past prime years) and hence no transition game. Last year Karlsson transformed the team's transition game (went from 2nd last in scoring to top 4). Letang plays almost exact same role on Pens.

Crosby can just bring up the puck himself, and the other team will back off so you didn't notice the problem as much with Letang out. Look at the Leafs, they seem to always get into the offensive zone with speed, causing havoc.

In all my pools, I'm just getting killed by opponents whose players are playing games against CAR/TB/DAL/CGY.
    Last edited by cdubb; April 5, 2013 at 1:26 AM.
    Semi-retired