Thread: Bogosian

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Bogosian

I have an option to get Bogosian or a rookie cheap. What's his upside? I was expecting him to do well when Enstrom went down, but he didn't deliver. Is he pretty much a 20-point guy who might have a 30-point season once in a while, or is he better than that?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The biggest problem with Bogosian is that the Jets already have a big booming-RH-slapshot type of guy (Buff).

So... there's just really no place for Bogo right now except to play PP2 when Buff is tired.

The gravy (fantasy-speaking) for a defenseman revolves around PP time.
    Buff is signed long-term in Winnipeg.
    Unless/until WPG moves Buff, Bogo's value is simply as a 25-30pt defenseman (max).

Now - there is a REMOTE chance that Winnipeg realizes this and looks to flip Bogosian for some offense.
    Perhaps they can find a partner in an RFA-for-RFA trade.

For example, the Red Wings currently roster 6 LH defenseman and only one RH defenseman (I.White).
    Perhaps a Bogosian-for-Nyqvist trade could work out well for both teams.
    Both are RFAs... Bogosian is much more valuable and proven... but would also be a higher-price-tag.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; April 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'll politely disagree with Penguin on a couple points.

Bogosian hit 30 points last season, playing just 65 games. To say that 30 is his max in his current situation is erroneous, in my opinion. No guarantees of what he will do in the future, of course, but that alone should tell us that he's capable of 30+ points, regardless of who is in front of him.

I know you said there's a REMOTE chance that the Jets trade him, Penguin, but I'm confident that there isn't even that much chance that Bogo gets moved. A GM has to listen to any and all offers, but I would venture that Bogosian is as close to untouchable as the Jets have got. Bogosian is a stud on the back end already, and he's only 22.

To answer newf's question, he's more than a 20 point defenseman, period. How high he can go is hard to say. It's unfortunate that he came into this shortened, high-octane season late, without any sort of a training camp. I would expect somewhere around 32 points next season, just to throw a number out there.

I guess it depends on what kind of rookie you might be able to land, and what kind of output you would be happy with from Bogo.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Bogo got some decent PP time last year (7 PPP) because Enstrom (62 games) and Buff (66 games) both missed significant time.
    Again... this year, Enstrom & Buff both missed some time.
    It's not wise to count on those things to keep happening.

When Buff & Enstrom are both healthy, they eat pretty much ALL of the PP time.

Bogosian is also pretty much maxed out for TOI.
    He played 23:19 last year.
    He plays 23:09 this year.
    There's not much ice time left for him to increase his scoring naturally.

Last year he put up 5G-25A = 30pts.
    Just because he did it once at a young age (see Myers, Tyler) doesn't mean he can do it again.

The Jets are playing in a small arena, so there isn't the enormous revenue to spend to the cap limit.

RFAs coming up this summer:
    *Bryan Little
    *Blake Wheeler
    *Alex Burmistrov
    *Zach Bogosian

That's quite a lot of dough that needs to be spent there.

I see Winnipeg's biggest problem as a lack of offensive depth.
    They could be a much, much better team if they could have a 2nd line of scoring.

But...
    First - they need to maintain their 1st line scoring (which means resigning Little & Wheeler).
    Second - they'd need to add 2nd line scoring to compliment E.Kane. Clearly, Olli Jokinen isn't getting it done.
    Burmistrov may be the answer... but he's RFA too.

I don't know... the Jets (w/Bogosian) very much remind me of the way they were in Atlanta with Kovalchuk.
    The team had to decide whether to resign Kovalchuk to that enormous ($12m/season?!) contract.
    But the thing was this... the team hadn't had any playoff success with Kovalchuk anchoring the team... so, why simply reform the same team at a higher cap cost?

IMO, it's similar with the Jets & Bogosian.
    They don't really need any offensive contribution from him.

Defensively, he's been on for 3.31 goals against per 60min of even-strength time.
    That's worst among Jets' defensemen.
    I realize he gets some big assignments... but... with 2nd pair defensemen commanding $4m/year these days - maybe (just maybe) they'd be better spending that money on some offense.

My 2 cents.

btw. I'd say "remote" was the right word.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks folks. The rookies available I could get instead include Connolly, Nieterreiter, Orlov, Hackett, Murphy and J.Campbell.

I've always been high on Murphy, and like Connolly. But I'm in first this year, and want to compete next year, so I'm debating whether it's worth it to have another rookie or a dman like Bogo who is at least playing regular minutes.

Thanks again. Rep to you both.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Expert

I didnīt check but Bogosion is only 22 as far as i know and he allready established himself in the league and showed some production. If you can get him cheap iīd take a flyer on him and expect 35 to 40 points within the next 2 years. He can do that, no matter where heīs playing.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm with Dennis, I like Bogosian over those options. He's further along in his development and he's a cornerstone-type player.

Appreciate the debate, Penguin. I actually think that Bogo produces well enough with Enstrom and Buff in the lineup. Last season he ended on a real nice run (both even strength and on the PP), when the two studs were healthy and in the lineup. I'd be curious to see his numbers with them in versus out. Wouldn't surprise me if there's little to no discrepancy there.