Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: [Trade] Roy to the Canucks

Dobber Sports Icon

Yeah theres alot of luck to win the cup in these watered down days.

Much easier to win when you are battling the best night in and night out.

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm as die hard a Leaf fan as there is but also a logical one. To suggest that it was less likely or harder to win a cup when there were 6 teams opposed to today is madness. I play poker for a living and I would give my left nut to sit at a table with someone who believes this. I know that you can't believe this really so why try and argue it. I'm 31 years old and in my lifetime the Leafs are simply one of the least successful teams there is over that time period. Does it make our franchise a joke of course not but it's the truth. We are not a joke because we have the most dedicated, loyal fans in all of N.A sports and we have one of the most knowledgeable fan basses in all of sport. So to call us a joke is unfair.

Edited: cudbb how exactly do you roll "snake eyes" with only 1 die?
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; April 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Yeah theres alot of luck to win the cup in these watered down days.

Much easier to win when you are battling the best night in and night out.
    C'mon, you can't just claim that those guys were Supermen and the players today are spares.

Basically, people spend a lot more money on entertainment now than they did forty years ago. That's why there are thirty teams today as opposed to six then. There's also a much larger infrastructure that is developing young players today than there was then. It's not that there were better hockey players back then, it was just that there were less avenues to making a living doing it.

So no, I don't buy into this notion that today's league is in any way "watered-down" compared to what it was back then. It's simply larger.

And no, the Leafs don't get more credit for winning Cups in a six-team league than they would in a thirty team league. They get less. There's no denying that the odds of winning a championship are higher in a six-team league than a thirty team league.

If the Leafs want to prove me wrong, then they can stop resting on their laurels and dominate in today's league.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Does it make our franchise a joke of course not but it's the truth. We are not a joke because we have the most dedicated, loyal fans in all of N.A sports and we have one of the most knowledgeable fan basses in all of sport. So to call us a joke is unfair.

Edited: cudbb how exactly do you roll "snake eyes" with only 1 die?
    Yes, agree most loyal/vocal/largest fan base in NHL. Not sure who called any Leaf fans jokes, just that some are carried away with their view of the team's "success".

P.s. Ok roll a "two" or roll "one" consecutively (look its a cup dynasty)... Watched too much GI joe this weekend
    Last edited by cdubb; April 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Yes, agree most loyal/vocal/largest fan base in NHL. Not sure who called any Leaf fans jokes, just that some are carried away with their view of the teams "success".

P.s. Ok roll a "two" or roll "one" consecutively (look its a cup dynasty)... Watched too much GI joe this weekend
    I agree and I was just busting your balls about the dice.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    C'mon, you can't just claim that those guys were Supermen and the players today are spares.

Basically, people spend a lot more money on entertainment now than they did forty years ago. That's why there are thirty teams today as opposed to six then. There's also a much larger infrastructure that is developing young players today than there was then. It's not that there were better hockey players back then, it was just that there were less avenues to making a living doing it.

So no, I don't buy into this notion that today's league is in any way "watered-down" compared to what it was back then. It's simply larger.

And no, the Leafs don't get more credit for winning Cups in a six-team league than they would in a thirty team league. They get less. There's no denying that the odds of winning a championship are higher in a six-team league than a thirty team league.

If the Leafs want to prove me wrong, then they can stop resting on their laurels and dominate in today's league.
    My friend ask johnny bower, one of the best goalies in history why it took him so long to make the nhl. And so many other great players that toiled in the minors. ........

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    My friend ask johnny bower, one of the best goalies in history why it took him so long to make the nhl. And so many other great players that toiled in the minors. ........
    Because there was less opportunity available? I've already acknowledged that.

As I said, the play in today's league cannot be said to be markedly inferior. It's simply larger to accommodate increased demand.

As a general rule, if you have a segment of the population that is capable of performing any given profession, but yet there's only enough jobs to accommodate 1 or 2 percent of that population, you can't just make the assumption that that other 98% is somehow significantly less qualified at that task. There just isn't enough opportunity to go around. And if demand increases to the point where 10 or 15 percent of the population becomes employable, you can't make the case that the field is "watered down" on that basis. There is likely very little drop-off in overall ability between the top 2 percentile and the top 10 percentile.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

angus on the nucks:

The team is still good, but they can't match the skill of Chicago or the size of LA. Can Schneidongo steal a series or two?

------------------

Glad to see a canucks fan with his head on straight. the team was dominated physically and their notable addition this year is derek roy. team is out in round 1 or 2 max unless schneider/luongo win it themselves.

I have a strong feeling gillis is gonna get in a lot of crap in the offseason for not beefing his team up. the nucks window is closing (lets be real, sedins arent the same guys they were the year they went to the final. without the star sedins, the nucks cant be considered an elite team anymore).

if the clowe 8 years/34M rumor is true, the nucks dodged a bullet in not getting him (even still, clowe as a rental would have been worth it). but i find it hard to believe gillis couldnt get a single big body player to help their team matchup against a team like the kings.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

To be fair Prabs, the Canucks have been essentially a one line team without Kesler this year. I agree they aren't the best team right now (probably 5 or 6 at the best), but the Sedins won't age like typical skill players - because they aren't typical skill players. They don't rely on physical attributes all that much.

Look at how well Selanne and Alfredsson have aged.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    To be fair Prabs, the Canucks have been essentially a one line team without Kesler this year. I agree they aren't the best team right now (probably 5 or 6 at the best), but the Sedins won't age like typical skill players - because they aren't typical skill players. They don't rely on physical attributes all that much.

Look at how well Selanne and Alfredsson have aged.
    or Ray Whitney and St Louis.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    angus on the nucks:

------------------

Glad to see a canucks fan with his head on straight. the team was dominated physically and their notable addition this year is derek roy. team is out in round 1 or 2 max unless schneider/luongo win it themselves.

I have a strong feeling gillis is gonna get in a lot of crap in the offseason for not beefing his team up. the nucks window is closing (lets be real, sedins arent the same guys they were the year they went to the final. without the star sedins, the nucks cant be considered an elite team anymore).

if the clowe 8 years/34M rumor is true, the nucks dodged a bullet in not getting him (even still, clowe as a rental would have been worth it). but i find it hard to believe gillis couldnt get a single big body player to help their team matchup against a team like the kings.
    Gillis will likely get as much crap as Nonis when Toronto has problems with it's goal tending.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think the Roy trade was a great move by the Canucks. They needed to get some grit, and should have done that in another deal.

Getting Roy is a top 3 deadline trade IMO.