Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [Trade] Roy to the Canucks

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    Leafs franchise is more successful than the nucks franchise. What does my age have to do with anything? If a 5 year old is an oilers fan does that mean all the cups the oilers have won in the past don't count because he hasn't been alive for any of them? Brilliant logic indeed.

Nucks cup drought is like 3 years less than the leafs but the leafs have 13 more cups. Leafs are more successful as a franchise which is pretty much what matters most, winning cups is what counts. But you guys can celebrate your playoff appearances, can't blame you since you can't do much else.

And let's not forget the leafs are ahead of the nucks in the standings. Aren't you guys supposed to have two elite goalies? How is a shitty team like the leafs ahead of the nucks?
    As I mentioned in my first post (which you acknowledged) I'm not a Canucks fan. Have lived in both cities (Toronto and Vancouver) for over 4 years each.

All I meant to do was poke fun at the many Leaf fans here strongly critiquing the Canucks management (pot calling kettle black).

You went on this rant bragging about the economic success of the Leafs. Maybe they could have used that to their advantage over the years. Can't even buy a decent FA signing.

You are bragging about championships they won when there were 6 teams in the ENTIRE NHL? Pretty good odds. Those other teams have won cups in the modern era.

But I could argue that in your lifetime, when there's 7 or more NHL teams, the Canucks have much better franchise succes, they at least made it to game 7 of a Stanley Cup final twice.
    Last edited by cdubb; April 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM.
    Semi-retired

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    actually you can to some degree MD - a team's heritage is always woven into the fabric of who they are today and I think the fans share in that.
    I'm just saying I can't/won't. I look at those years with envy, wishing I was a part of it and or could get a piece of glory of my own. Maybe when I see the team win one with my own eyes I'll take the collective pride in the franchises history as a whole but right now I feel like there's this legacy that I'm not yet a part of kind of like how a kid could feel like he needs to live up to his father's greatness but on a much smaller scale.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Icon

My dad can beat up your dad!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    My dad can beat up your dad!
    You mean your (dead) grandpa was richer than mine.
    Last edited by cdubb; April 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

billion dollar franchise
    won more cups than any team not named montreal
    center of the hockey universe

yea...i'd say the leafs would trump whatever team you cheer for. 7 years of not making the playoffs and they still make more money than anyone else. hilarious indeed!
    Considering that 90% of Leafs fans that post on the internet weren't even born when they won the last cup, that hardly qualifies as a valid argument.

The Leafs are a joke in the hockey world because of their lack of success in spite of their financial standing. The only ones who don't understand the joke are Leafs fans.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Icon

Hehe i was there for the 60s cups. Throughly enjoyed those days.
    And for the few that say 6 teams made it easirr, think again those teams were stacked. Unlike todays watered down product.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    You know that's your (Leafs fans') money right? Fans paying a shit-ton for a second rate product? Hilarious indeed.

(to be fair, they are improving, finally)

Oh, and everyone says Burke/Nonis get credit for the Canucks... so how exactly did Nonis get fired for missing the playoffs twice in 3 years with this team he and Burke built?
    Nothing to do with that.
    Ofcourse GMs are scapegoats when the team is young and developing(which equals weaker records/results).
    While when they do mature the then GM gets more of the credit(esp if they can put them over the top - which Gillis has not shown he can yet. Brian Murray is another GM like this. Ofcourse a better drafter then Gillis and most everyone, until he shows he can put his team over the top when they are ready to me hes just a great scout.)

The point is he/Burke built or put the significant pieces in place thru drafing and trades that has made that team.
    Last edited by sparrowtrini; April 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

Dobber Sports Superstar

billion dollar franchise
    won more cups than any team not named montreal
    center of the hockey universe

yea...i'd say the leafs would trump whatever team you cheer for. 7 years of not making the playoffs and they still make more money than anyone else. hilarious indeed!
    You could say very similar things about the Dallas Cowboys. Very similar things indeed.

Yet there is no denying that Jerry Jones has turned that franchise into a joke over the past fifteen years or so, mostly by kidding himself into thinking that, because people are still buying his product, then it must still be a quality product.

So, logic fail.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    You could say very similar things about the Dallas Cowboys. Very similar things indeed.

Yet there is no denying that Jerry Jones has turned that franchise into a joke over the past fifteen years or so, mostly by kidding himself into thinking that, because people are still buying his product, then it must still be a quality product.

So, logic fail.
    every team goes through bad patches. even the RED WINGS were one of the worst teams in the 70s and mid 80s. you look at the franchise as a whole and what it has done. to say the leafs are a joke is stupid because you are looking at a tiny sample size.

So, logic fail on your part.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Um, how do you figure that a championship drought of over four decades is somehow "tiny"?

With the exception of the last one in '67, when Toronto won all of those Cups, the league had six teams. Since their last Cup in 1967, the Leafs can be best described as average.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Um, how do you figure that a championship drought of over four decades is somehow "tiny"?

With the exception of the last one in '67, when Toronto won all of those Cups, the league had six teams. Since their last Cup in 1967, the Leafs can be best described as average.
    so if the nhl expands and adds more teams, does that nullify all the cups the wings won the past couple decades?

leafs have had several playoff appearances since their last cup. it is only the past 7 years that they've been god awful. yet when people talk about the leafs, they only like to mention how bad they were recently, yet fail to mention that the leafs were a pretty good team before the 2nd last lockout. that is why i said it is a "tiny" sample.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sooooooo....how about that Derek Roy trade?

Dobber Sports Icon

No question for the most part they have been down right awful to average many years

Yet Leafs were close in Neilson years(Just a great Habs team) and after the Ballard era until MLE took over. Now hey are looking like Bell/rogers is are allowing them to do things right.

Only 6 teams? I suppose you were there to witness the level of talent on each of those 6 stacked teams vs the waterdown NHL today(and gradually from the late 70s)?

i saw all the cups from the 60s...it was tough. Leafs were superb.

Dobber Sports Superstar

so if the nhl expands and adds more teams, does that nullify all the cups the wings won the past couple decades?

leafs have had several playoff appearances since their last cup. it is only the past 7 years that they've been god awful. yet when people talk about the leafs, they only like to mention how bad they were recently, yet fail to mention that the leafs were a pretty good team before the 2nd last lockout. that is why i said it is a "tiny" sample.
    Yes, the Leafs have had several playoff appearances in the last forty some-odd years since their last championship. As have most of the other teams in the league. That's what makes the Leafs average by definition.

You don't have to hold a doctorate in mathematics to realize that a given team's chances of winning a championship in a six-team league are much, much higher than winning one in a thirty-team league. I would think that wouldn't even require an explanation.

I would think that it would also be be self-evident that the NY Yankees wouldn't be held in such high regard if all of their World Series wins were won in an era where the major leagues consisted of a half-dozen teams.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    No question for the most part they have been down right awful to average many years

Only 6 teams? I suppose you were there to witness the level of talent on each of those 6 stacked teams vs the waterdown NHL today(and gradually from the late 70s)?

i saw all the cups from the 60s...it was tough. Leafs were superb.

But the problem is that when ppl brag about a franchise's success winning all these championships, back when there were only a handful (plus one thumb) of teams. You literally need to be over 50 to remember the last cup winner (unless super baby memories)

You don't seem to realize it's a lot different beating say 5 other teams (even if you are all stacked) versus 29 other teams to win a cup? That's a big difference in odds

Roll a 6-sided dice and you'll come up with "1" regularly. Doing it with a crazy 30-sided dice not as easy, but even then should theoretically come up once if even odds.

Then Praba chooses these random periods of time to compare success "only past 7 years" - instead of saying things like longest playoff drought, or longest Stanley cup drought. Pre-lockout they were a competitive team, but still never made it to the Stanley cup finals, still never took advantage of pre-salary cap financial advantage (even after the cap, they could have stashed their own or other teams contracts in the minors for picks, players, etc)

Hey, it's fine to root for your team, but what's with the blinders on?
    Last edited by cdubb; April 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM.
    Semi-retired