Thread: Analyze this Blockbuster Trade!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Analyze this Blockbuster Trade!!

G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG /// W, SV%, GAA, SO
    6-Keeper // 10 teams

-------------------------------------------------

Before giving you the exchange, I'll have you know that we keep 6 and I have about 10 easily keepable players. Instead of hanging onto them and see them get drafted in the first 2 rounds next year, I decide to move 3 players to upgraqde my high end keeper situation for circumstantially expendable in my opinion.

I made this trade 2 Weeks ago!! I'd love top hear your breakdowns!

I trade: Toews, Eberle, Backstrom(g)
    I Acquire: Price

I feel like I took the slightest bump short term offensively, but completely solidified my team having elite goalie keepers indefinitely. I still need to chose between these 5 for my last 2 keeper spots: Kopitar / Duchene / Luongo / Thornton / E. Kane.. Imagine adding in Eberle and Toews too. I'd be losing way too much talent to the draft, at least with this deal I'm updrading my keeper situation in the short and long-run.

My keepers Now
    1. Price
    2. Rinne
    3. P. Kane
    4. Karlsson
    5. Kopitar
    6. Duchene / Luongo* / Thornton / E. Kane,

He made alright with a 3L, 3C, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTL, I'm not losing much high end ( toews' PPG was like .9-1.0 and Eberle's was like .7). I don't see any of them being high end keepers only for Toews defensive play and it'll take Eberle too long (another full season or two) for him to be worth hanging onto. I got back Saad (who's on fire) and Gallagher (dropped for IR return right away).

You need to look at this for many angles to truly understand it's nature, but I was the only team in the league who could afford trade 3 keeper range players for one elite.

Honestly, it's a keeper with friends, and this year has been sooo booring so we pulled this trade off last minute without much time kinda to jump start this league. My goaltending is sickeningly good but has been shitting hthe bed all the way. Luckily I squeeked into the final playoff spot by 1 point. I have big expectations for those 3 goalies to take me far!

Looking back, I wish I added a pick my way, or got to switch Eberle with one of my other many lesser borderline keepers, but I just made the playoffs (as did the other team), so I think in the long run I'll make out just fine. Hopefully Luongo gets traded and it wakes up this sleeping 3-headed dragon and brings me to back-to-back championships!
    Last edited by Hoppy; April 1, 2013 at 7:15 PM.
    Year IIII - 12 teams - 6 keepers

LW: Duchene, Pacioretty, Bailey
    C: Kopitar, Skinner, Berglund
    RW: P. Kane, Grabner, Tarasenko
    D: Karlsson, Kronwall, Chara, Carle, McDonagh
    UTL: ______
    G: Price, Rinne
    IR: Burrows
    BN: Elliott, Johansson Gerbe, Clowe, Clarksson, Trouba,

Dobber Sports Ace

Is this roto or H2H? If roto think it's a very good deal because top goalies matter more.

I think if you feel Price will be a top 5 goalie every year, he and Rinne give you a top pair. Still ok deal in H2H.

In H2H with 10 teams I might have kept just one top goalie, because always can draft or pick up a FA goalie that surprises (Anderson/Crawford/Bobrovsky this year, Smith/Elliot last year). Then could have instead targeted a high end scorer like Tavares or Giroux.

But decent set of keepers, would choose Duchene for last one since younger than Thornton, and don't count pims/hits for E.Kane.
    Last edited by cdubb; April 1, 2013 at 4:15 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Not a lot to analyze here Hoppy, you got an elite goalie for 2 not elite forwards and a goalie you wouldn't be keeping. Nice work - pool on. Now do you have the nuts to trade P. Kane, Kopitar and Duchene for Crosby and keep E. Kane, Huberdeau and Tarasenko?
    Last edited by Shoeless; April 1, 2013 at 5:49 AM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great, thanks guys. It is indeed H2H. There weren't any other teams with as many expendable keepers so I think that's what made it a viable trade in my situation. The guy I made the deal with has a history of moving his quality keepers for quantity so I figured I'd give it a last minute shot.

The deadline is over unfortunately, and I made the playoffs (as did the team who made the trade with me). Right now the 3 goalies aren't rolling with any swagger in the last while, but I definitely have a shot at repeating the title win.

The first poster mentioned how you can always get prime goalies off FA (I picked up Schneider and Smith last year and traded them for 2nd round pick+ to prime a run this year and Crawford the year before). I can still apply this method by not drafting one G through the draft and then picking up a 3rd early on.

By most standards Rinne and Price are in the top 4 of most top goalie lists, sometime top 3. I find the key to how my keeper's setup is to have 2 elite goalies. They'll get you though the ups and down fluctuation of scoring categories when your team slumps. In the past it's been key for me since the keeper started. I've come 1rst, 2nd and 3rd in the playoffs the three years since the start. Price replaces Luongo as he phases out of my team and I continue to set goaltending records for the pool

Some teams in the pool thought it was a bad trade for me so I'm glad you guys are validating the points I believed in for this trade.
    Year IIII - 12 teams - 6 keepers

LW: Duchene, Pacioretty, Bailey
    C: Kopitar, Skinner, Berglund
    RW: P. Kane, Grabner, Tarasenko
    D: Karlsson, Kronwall, Chara, Carle, McDonagh
    UTL: ______
    G: Price, Rinne
    IR: Burrows
    BN: Elliott, Johansson Gerbe, Clowe, Clarksson, Trouba,