Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosby

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I'd find wearing a full visor pretty annoying. That's just me at least.
    No disrespect, but that's a load of crap. The same thing is said about visors, and yet the best offensive players all wear them. And the women wear the cage, and they do just fine.

Besides, I bet getting hit in the face with a puck moving at 60 kph or higher is pretty damn annoying too.

The primary reasons they're not worn is because : 1. no one wants to be the first. (Cultural pressure) 2. It would make fighting pretty damn difficult (business of the game).
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't know if its necessarily a macho thing as it is what they've grown comfortable with playing as a kid.

I'm no hockey pro, I've only played rec league here and there, but if I were paid millions of dollars a year and was under the pressure that these guys are under to live up to these expectations, I would want every edge I can get, and personally I'd find wearing a full visor pretty annoying. That's just me at least.
    I think that's the same weak argument that the people said who refused to wear helmets. Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Lidstrom. All wore visors. Does it hinder them? I don't remember the last player who I considered to be at the best in the world in their position who does NOT or did NOT wear a visor.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Padawan

getting back to that tweet, i've never heard of the guy but he must have heard it somewhere, the way it was written sounded like it was based on something. Still, if the guy is masquerading as a journalist he did a lousy job -- something like that shd be sourced.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    No disrespect, but that's a load of crap. The same thing is said about visors, and yet the best offensive players all wear them. And the women wear the cage, and they do just fine.

Besides, I bet getting hit in the face with a puck moving at 60 kph or higher is pretty damn annoying too.

The primary reasons they're not worn is because : 1. no one wants to be the first. (Cultural pressure) 2. It would make fighting pretty damn difficult (business of the game).
    Perhaps you're right, but let's think about the evolution and adoption of a technology.

Back in the day nobody wore visors, and then people got hurt, and kids started wearing visors, so they grew up playing wearing visors and were already comfortable wearing them by the time they got to the pros.

Most of the old-timers who didn't grow up wearing visors did not adopt it. It's the same thing with full masks... eventually enough guys will get hurt that parents will take notice and make their kids wear them... and those kids will be used to it by the time they get to the pros. But for the guys playing today who've never played with a full face mask, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they might find it a hindrance.

The Great One

I would say at least 50% of the league grew up wearing full cages as kids.

Not sure where you're going with that.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post

Actually, I'd wager that would be 100%. I can't imagine anywhere where they'd let children play without them in an organized league.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

Dobber Sports Sage

Actually, I'd wager that would be 100%. I can't imagine anywhere where they'd let children play without them in an organized league.
    I have never heard of a league that they are not mandatory. It would be criminal to not.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If that's the case then I stand corrected. I never used a mask when I went to hockey school as a kid (way back in the day mind you) and when I watch OHL games pretty much everyone's using the half visors so I assumed they grow up with the half visors, didn't know kids play with full face masks. I wonder at what age they generally switch to the visors. I've still gotta believe there's more substance to these guys than just the ego thing.
    Last edited by blayze; March 31, 2013 at 3:25 AM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think it's not really ego...it's social pressure. No one else wears them in major junior or pro...so if you do, you're dishonourable or a coward. Now, because we're all intellectually capable of recognizing this reasoning as flawed, we create alternative reasons - like Sundin saying he saw the puck better without the visor.

Personally, I think the alternative reasons are a fiction....serving only to rationalize the irrational. The only rational explanation is that people want to see fights, and full face protection would make that aspect of the game far less interesting.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think it's not really ego...it's social pressure. No one else wears them in major junior or pro...so if you do, you're dishonourable or a coward...
    I think if you are capitulating to the opinions of other it's certainly an ego thing. And as i mentioned earlier, the mother of an NHL player i chat with regularly says her son -- who played with a full cage as a kid and a half-visor in junior -- doesn't wear the visor because it's a "macho" thing and an ego thing. A young man with great self-confidence and intelligence, and not obsessed with your ego, would simply wear as much protection as possible, and take off the helmet when he fights. I saw that yesterday in a game...it's not that hard to rip off a helmet with a visor.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think full face sheild...whether its a cage or a plexi sheild, is mandatory in all levels of hockey until a player is past midget age.

Thats why you see the odd player at the world juniors wearing full face protection.

After Midget age, players CHOOSE not to wear the full face protection.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Padawan

Crosby isn't just the best player in the game, he's the face of hockey as a brand. I assume all those teeth in that great smile were originals, and I assume he'll be a mess when he comes back. How much of his income, and the NHL's ability to promote itself, is based on fact he's a pretty good-looking guy. (My daughter rates all the players and definitely gives him two thumbs up). My bet is that this is a bit of a watershed, long-term. Maybe Crosby comes back with some sort of full facial protection for the short-term, then realizes he's comfortable with it and maybe continues. At least part of the motivation would be protecting the brand.

What really baffles me is why the industry hasn't developed full face shields that are comfortable, don't fog up, get hot, etc. Some sort of transparent material that can blog shots but not interfere with vision -- perhaps a cage but with see-through material.

Dobber Sports Guru

I find it funny that at a time when we're trying to reduce goalie equipment, we're trying to add equipment to other players.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Expert

Yep I would agree with this. Every minor league team in my neck of the woods made full cage mandatory for kids.
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

The Great One

Whats the difference between a full cage and those kevlar socks? Why don't they make full body suits made of kevlar, and have every single player wear them under their equipment?

I do think ego plays a part but I'm on the side that it does affect the way you play, feel, and see. It has to. At the very minimum it affects your psyche.

Injuries are going to happen in this sport. We are not supposed to prevent them all.