Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Keeper League Goalies

Dobber Sports Veteran

All good points. Although your arguments for Price being #2 on your list are actually arguments for why his fantasy value should be further down the list IMO (below average offense, no superstars to help him get wins, Subban as the only consistent player in front of him, etc). These circumstances, along with the Hab's record this year, show how good of a goalie is he is in real life, but this does not necessarily translate to fantasy value as the goalies team/situation is just as important as their talent a lot of the time. A goalie with equal or slightly less talent, but that plays on a better team with solid long term outlook like a Boston, Van, Pittsburg would trump Price by leaps and bounds in my mind.

I know you are a fan, but I'm not sure how you see Price and the Habs outperforming Rask and the Bruins for the next 2-3 years for example. I would bet my house that it's just not happening. Price may or may not be the better goalie in a vacuum, but Rask is in the MUCH better team situation, which makes him the better keeper goalie in my opinion. Same goes for Schneider.....I don't see Price and the Habs outperforming Schneider and Vancouver over the next 2 seasons. Boston and Vancouver are just far superior teams, regardless of this year's standings......don't be too far swayed by your love of a team or one overachieving season.
    Last edited by Shiva Blaster; March 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Padawan

Lundqvist - Simply the best right now. Even though the Rangers aren't very good right now, his GAA & SV% numbers are very good. If the Rangers are good, Lundy is an incredibly valuable fantasy piece.

Rinne - I could pretty much say the same thing for Rinne... His SV% has dipped this year though, but he still posts excellent numbers on a middling to bad team.

Price - The Habs are overacheiving this year, but Price is a rock. Even when the Habs were bad he was pretty good.

Quick - This year has to be a blip on the radar. He was too good in last year's playoffs for it not to be. Still, this season makes me wonder, which is why he falls out of the top 3.

Rask - People kept saying he'd never been handed the pressure of being the number one guy. I always thought he could handle it. Turns out he can.

Fleury - Playing on the Penguins affords you certain luxuries... like being a top fantasy goalie. Fleury will always earn you lots of wins if nothing else. Until Crosby retires or is traded (ha!), Fleury will get you those.

Crawford - I'm a huge Hawks fan, but honestly, people keep comparing this guy to Osgood and I don't agree. I've watched almost every Hawks game this year and he's been brilliant in most of them. If nothing else, refer to my notes about Fleury.

Schneider - I hate the Canucks, but this guy is good. Once Luongo gets out of town I think he'll be better, which is scary because he's already pretty damn good.

Anderson - Before the injury this season, he was the top fantasy goalie in the league. I can't ignore that. It's not like he hasn't shown that he can be a top goalie... he just needs consistency.

Ward - I wanted to punch this guy in the face this season. But then he got better and then he got injured. Ward will get you at least a decent amount of wins and a good SV%... as Carolina gets better, so should Ward's numbers.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I know you are a fan, but I'm not sure how you see Price and the Habs outperforming Rask and the Bruins for the next 2-3 years for example. I would bet my house that it's just not happening. Price may or may not be the better goalie in a vacuum, but Rask is in the MUCH better team situation, which makes him the better keeper goalie in my opinion. Same goes for Schneider.....I don't see Price and the Habs outperforming Schneider and Vancouver over the next 2 seasons. Boston and Vancouver are just far superior teams, regardless of this year's standings......don't be too far swayed by your love of a team or one overachieving season.
    My biggest thing with Rask and Schneider is I don't know how they'll handle starting 65ish games. I know Price's track record when starting a bunch of games (two seasons ago, Price played 72 games, got 38 wins and eight shutouts). But will Rask wear down? Will his emotions get to him during a couple of tough stretches? Will he even start more than 60-65 games since Boston has a better backup?

The more starts Price gets, the better chances for wins and shutouts. If Rask plays 60 games, and Price plays 10 to 15 more, that bodes better for Price in two of the categories. That's my main reason for Price over Rask and Schenider.

You do bring up some good points though. And I am probably looking through the situation with Habs-coloured glasses, I'll admit. Rep to you for a fun and thoughtful debate.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    My biggest thing with Rask and Schneider is I don't know how they'll handle starting 65ish games. I know Price's track record when starting a bunch of games (two seasons ago, Price played 72 games, got 38 wins and eight shutouts). But will Rask wear down? Will his emotions get to him during a couple of tough stretches? Will he even start more than 60-65 games since Boston has a better backup?

The more starts Price gets, the better chances for wins and shutouts. If Rask plays 60 games, and Price plays 10 to 15 more, that bodes better for Price in two of the categories. That's my main reason for Price over Rask and Schenider.

You do bring up some good points though. And I am probably looking through the situation with Habs-coloured glasses, I'll admit. Rep to you for a fun and thoughtful debate.
    Cheers! I agree, great discussion!
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Great discussion so far, gents.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Prodigy

going through all these posts I see no love for Holtby, take away the horrible start the caps had and you have a top 5 goalie since. This guy is extremely talented and covers down low just as good as Rask. I think he'll turn some heads for those who undervalue him. Deserves at the very least an HM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by aleco83 View Post
    going through all these posts I see no love for Holtby, take away the horrible start the caps had and you have a top 5 goalie since. This guy is extremely talented and covers down low just as good as Rask. I think he'll turn some heads for those who undervalue him. Deserves at the very least an HM.
    I'll also have to respectfully disagree with this. Other than last year's miracle playoff run, and the last few weeks of solid play, Holtby is hugely unproven. He had a terrible start to the year, planting the seed of doubt in Washington management as to whether he was just a flash in the pan or could be relied upon as an NHL starting goalie.

On top of this, Neuvirth is waiting in the wings should he slip up again, and has more NHL experience under his belt than Holtby does. If the Caps do not make the playoffs, the starters job will very much be up for grabs next year making for a very ambiguous situation.

Until Holtby has proven to Washington (and us) that he is a bona fide NHL starting goalie, and puts together a solid start-to-finish solid season, he does not belong anywhere near a top 10 keeper goalie list IMHO. He could very well turn out to be the real deal, but he could also very easily be out of the league in 2 year's time. He still needs time to establish himself.
    Last edited by Shiva Blaster; March 30, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by aleco83 View Post
    I respectfully disagree at the moment, and it isn't based necessarily on his talent, but on the team in front of him. Unfortunately a goalie's stats in fantasy (wins/losses) are tied to the team in front of him, and right now I don't think Holtby's talent overweighs the Capitals' skaters to warrant a top 10.
    8 team keeper league (keep 5)
    Standard Yahoo scoring format: G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, S, PIM, BLK, W/L, SV, -GA, SO

Forwards:
    Malkin, Benn, Eichel, Kucherov, Draisaitl, Schwartz, Marchessault, R.Smith, Hornqvist, Voracek, Atkinson, Lee, T. Johnson

Defensemen:
    Letang, S. Jones, Krug, Sergachev, McDonagh, Dumba

Goalies:
    Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Rask

Farm:
    Keller, Puljujarvi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I'll also have to respectfully disagree with this. Other than last year's miracle playoff run, and the last few weeks of solid play, Holtby is hugely unproven. He had a terrible start to the year, planting the seed of doubt in Washington management as to whether he was just a flash in the pan or could be relied upon as an NHL starting goalie.

On top of this, Neuvirth is waiting in the wings should he slip up again, and has more NHL experience under his belt than Holtby does. If the Caps do not make the playoffs, the starters job will very much be up for grabs next year making for a very ambiguous situation.

Until Holtby has proven to Washington (and us) that he is a bona fide NHL starting goalie, and puts together a solid start-to-finish solid season, he does not belong anywhere near a top 10 keeper goalie list IMHO. He could very well turn out to be the real deal, but he could also very easily be out of the league in 2 year's time. He still needs time to establish himself.
    I'm not advocating that Holtby belongs in a top 10 keeper list yet, but I don't quite understand this. It seems to me that many of the same points you're making against Holtby apply equally (and in some cases more so) to Schneider, who I think you've advocated is a better bet than Price (although maybe you didn't; my reading comprehension leaves a bit to be desired at this time of night).
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    I'm not advocating that Holtby belongs in a top 10 keeper list yet, but I don't quite understand this. It seems to me that many of the same points you're making against Holtby apply equally (and in some cases more so) to Schneider, who I think you've advocated is a better bet than Price (although maybe you didn't; my reading comprehension leaves a bit to be desired at this time of night).
    Schneider has played more seasons, more games, and put up better numbers behind a much better/more consistent team. Schneider also has pedigree, Holtby came out of nowhere to some degree and we have seen much less of him than we have of Schneider.

Schneider's status as the long-term starter for the Canucks is all but cemented now. There is no doubt that he is an NHL starting goalie and the future of the Nucks. Holtby as I mentioned could be out of the league in 2 years time if he were to start struggling again, and there are zero gaurantees that he will be the starter for the Capitals next year or beyond. This is how I see it anyhow.

Dobber Sports Stud

Very interesting read here so far guys!

It wasn't long ago that I remember wading into one of these debates where people were atempting to lock down a consensus 'Big Three' with Lundy, Rinne and Quick.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...=129850&page=4

Have a read through this and look at how much has changed already this season! Don't mean to cherry pick threads but I find it easier to let my past comments speak for themselves rather that re-hashing everything.

My main points are that predicting goalie success is THE most difficult thing to do in fantasy hockey. There are very few goalies currently in the NHL who have put up elite stats on three consecutive years. Young goalies can just as easily put up elite stats as established vets and resting on the argument of 'well I'll believe it once I've seen it for a few years' makes no sense because those years you're watching to see if those young goalies will become elite starters (eg. Schneider, Rask, Price) could be the best years they'll ever have and by the time people have seen enough to put them in their 'Top Tier' of goalies we might all be talking about Lehner, Markstrom etc.

Edit: I do recognize that many of you have included the top youngsters in your lists so this was just a general comment more than a response to anything I read here.
    Last edited by 4horsemen; March 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

As far as I'm concerned, Craig Anderson is number one. I know, gutsy call but the Sens are such a well coached team and he is one of few goalies you can count on for every single game he's out there.

1. Anderson: You can call me crazy, but Anderson is numero uno.
    2. Rask: Great goalie, great system to play in. Plenty young, all of those reasons he's my number 2.
    3. Lundqvist: I think the shortened season has definitely brought out an inconsistent version of Lundy. Look for him to be much better next year.
    4. Price: Montreal is in a great spot and will continue to get better under Marc Bergevin.
    5. Quick: Same thing as Lundy, I really think you'll see him in fine form next year. He's been much better of late as well.
    6. Rinne: My personal favourite goalie, he'll be top ten for a while. Preds need more offensive support, hopefully they can pull off trades and get some scoring forwards.
    7. Niemi: Hard to argue with numbers, definitely top 10.
    8. Schneider: Its not a matter of if with Luongo being moved, its when. Schneider will be the starter with Lack backing him up, love that situation for him.
    9. Fleury: Will get the wins, but not as good a goalie as the rest of these guys IMO.
    10. Lehtonen: Not many goalies can steal games like this guy. He will be just fine.

HM: Luongo and Bobrovsky.
    Last edited by dmvincent; March 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Wizard

1. Lundqvist - No commented needed. The man stops pucks with his head. lol
    2. Rinne - Does the most with least and it's still better than several other Gs.
    3. Rask - Can see him usurping Rinne sooner than later, but not quite yet.
    4. Price - More consistent than Quick. He'll stay in the top 5 for years.
    5. Quick - Shaky this year, but still has Vezina ability.
    6. Schneider - Can see him eventually slotting 3rd behind Rask, but not now.
    7. Niemi - Very underrated!
    8. Howard - Like Niemi, underrted. When he's on, he can be dominant.
    9. Fleury - Still solid. Feel he's a victim of the vertical Pens game & no SAH defencemen.
    10. Lehtonen - If he wasn't such a bandaid boy he'd be higher on my list.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Superstar

1. Lundqvist— Still the man with the longest track record and a still solid defensively team in front of him. The Gap has gotten considerably smaller this season in my opinion as the Rangers can’t seem to score which costs Lundy some wins he’d get elsewhere.
    2. Rask—He’s far from totally proven but he has done the starter thing once before. The team in front of him is rock solid defensively and puts up a lot of wins. This combined with his massive talent gets him #2.
    3. Price—Probably the most talented goalie on the list IMO. Has proven he is durable and mentally tough for a full season and that he has a massive amount of talent. The team in front of him is strong defensively and constantly improving but lacks a game breaking scorer and is likely overachieving this year, I’d expect a dip in the standings next year but strong peripherals from Price.
    4. Quick—Amazing season last year where he rocketed into the top 3 goalies. Ironically the year the team in front of him this year is probably better defensively and yet his numbers dip. He falls a spot or two because he is not fully proven and Bernier is breathing down his neck and although he won’t take Quick’s #1 spot he will take starts over the season so long as he’s in LA.
    5. Schneider—Today I have Schneider at #5 because of the Luongo looming situation. If Vancouver had any chance of keeping both I’d have him even lower at 7 or 8 but given the reduced cap next year I say there’s no chance they keep both for next season. Schneider is mostly proven and has a team in front of him that will put up wins for the next 3 seasons at least.
    6. Rinne—Yes all the way down at #6. In a vacuum I think Rinne is an outstanding goaltender but Pengwin7 posted a great analysis a little while ago showing that Nashville has something like 40% of their cap hit tied up in Rinne/Weber long term. With all that money in 2 players the team around him suffers and the loss of Suter we’re realizing is huge. Rinne will have solid peripherals but his wins and shutout numbers will trend downwards the next few seasons IMO.

Here’s a key line IMO. Every goalie mentioned so far has a lot going for him a great track record, a great pedigree or a great team in front of him or some combination of all. Looking at the old threads and lists I’d say any of these guys could easily be the #1 fantasy guy to own in the next 1-3 seasons. But nobody likes top 6 lists so 4 more:

7. Luongo—Through all the drama and the hate Luongo is still an elite NHL regular season goaltender. In the next 2-3 seasons he will put up great numbers where ever he lands and once he becomes a fulltime starter will be challenging for the top 5, if not #1.
    8. Fleury- The analysis is obvious lots of wins and weaker peripherals. While Fleury may be a weaker real life goalie he does have the dream fantasy situation and I think his peripherals are underrated (especially after the Philly playoff series last year). The fact that he’s been solid in the face of Vokoun this year helps.
    9. Crawford—He gets major points for being on the Blackhawks who put up tons of wins and play great defensive hockey. He falls as he’s still proving himself and amazingly the Emery backup factor is huge; Crawford has started only 22 games this year (league lead is 36) so although his winning% is huge his number of wins is smaller than it could be.
    10. Anderson—Has to make the list because his amazing start this year shows that he is capable of putting up insane numbers. He’s no higher because his career numbers are not impressive and Ottawa has Lehner who has looked almost as good, and he’s older and been bitten by the injury bug a few times.

HM
    Bobrovsky- Getting better, team is getting MUCH better.
    Backstrom- Quietly is tied for the league lead in wins with solid peripherals, with a full training camp next year the Wild will only get better.
    Niemi- has personally been rejuvinated as the Sharks MVP. The Sharks getting old and chances of them blowing it up hurt his value.
    Hiller- had a terrible start but seems to have calmed down. The Ducks look like a totally different team this year, Fasth takes a good chunk of starts and one may get moved in the offseason.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Veteran

Glad to see Niemi getting some proper respect around here ... doesn't happen all that often in very many fora (talking heads on TV, in print, the boards, etc.). Severely underrated by most IMO.

As others have noted, however, I do worry about the Sharks going through a major overhaul here in the near future. When that happens, if it's a retooling, Niemi should be as good as usual. If it's a rebuild, look out. Not too many goalies are good enough to sustain their value while the team around them figures out which blueline they're supposed to be defending.

In any event, good to see Niemi getting his due from the fantasy hockey community.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov