Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Keeper League Goalies

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Top 10 Keeper League Goalies

My least favourite list to put together - never been a goalie expert, and the one year I have two good goalies, they end up playing on the same team! Hoping for a Luongo trade in the next few days....

2010:
    http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...gus&Itemid=102

2011:

2012:

Your lists?
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Veteran

Foy my league's cats: W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO, here's my rankings:

1. Lunqvist
    2. Quick
    3. Rinne
    4. Rask
    5. Schneider
    6. Price
    7. Howard
    8. Fleury
    9. Ward
    10. Luongo
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Administrator

This list is like a phoenix. Every year we burn it to the ground only for it to rise anew.

I guess it would have to look something like this right now:

1. Lundqvist - Still the king.
    2. Rask - Good talent. Good team. Good future.
    3. Rinne - Still money.
    4. Price - Looking solid.
    5. Quick - Struggling but I'm still confident going forward.
    6. Schneider - Should be higher but Lou still looms.
    7. Niemi - What he's doing for this terrible Sharks team is remarkable.
    8. Lehtonen - Same thing for Kari but not as good.
    9. Fleury - The Penguins prop him up so hard.
    10. Howard - No Lidstrom has only hurt the Wins column so far.

HM

Anderson - injury plus talent creeping up behind him plus sample size issues.

Crawford - Just trust him less than his Eastern counterpart Fleury because he doesn't have the contract.

Bobrovsky - The kid is showing something on what is a very mediocre Jackets team.

There are others like Lehner and Markstrom that get billing as "the future" but they aren't quite there yet.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Heh, who are the best goalies or who are the best goalies to own in fantasy hockey. There is clearly a team factor involved when you are looking at goalie production for fantasy purposes.

I think my top 3 are Price, Rask and Schneider, order them anyway you want - they are proving to be that good and they are on teams that are going to support their numbers.

I would put Lundqvist and Rinne in the next bracket as being that good but without the consistent team support to elevate them to the top drawer. Suter leaving has clearly killed Rinne's eliteness.

The next tier gets a lot broader and more difficult to differentiate slots in a ranking. Each has some issues either in consistency or durability. I like Quick, Hiller, Lehtonen, Howard, Niemi, Crawford, Fleury and Ward to be on my list 6 through 13 somehow. Anderson could be there as well but with injuries and Lehner and Bishop floating around, just not sure he rates a top 10.

HM - Markstrom is coming, Halak needs to do something but I keep my eye on him. Smith? - meh.

X factors - Loungo and Bobber - I think both have the potential to make a shambles of a top 10 list.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    This list is like a phoenix. Every year we burn it to the ground only for it to rise anew.

I guess it would have to look something like this right now:

1. Lundqvist - Still the king.
    2. Rask - Good talent. Good team. Good future.
    3. Rinne - Still money.
    4. Price - Looking solid.
    5. Quick - Struggling but I'm still confident going forward.
    6. Schneider - Should be higher but Lou still looms.
    7. Niemi - What he's doing for this terrible Sharks team is remarkable.
    8. Lehtonen - Same thing for Kari but not as good.
    9. Fleury - The Penguins prop him up so hard.
    10. Howard - No Lidstrom has only hurt the Wins column so far.

HM

Anderson - injury plus talent creeping up behind him plus sample size issues.

Crawford - Just trust him less than his Eastern counterpart Fleury because he doesn't have the contract.

Bobrovsky - The kid is showing something on what is a very mediocre Jackets team.

There are others like Lehner and Markstrom that get billing as "the future" but they aren't quite there yet.

Great list and good points. I should have added to my list that I am hesitant to read too much into this shortened season and bump tried and true goalies too much based on this year's results. ie. Bob isn't ending up in my top 10 just yet, although I know some people are already chugging that Kool-Aid

Rask has done an excellent job so far, but I'm not sure 28 games as a starter qualifies him as the #2 keeper goalie just yet. Quick has had a rough year coming off surgery + cup hangover, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt due to a much deeper track record and leaving him at #2 on my list.

I refuse to have band-aid boys on my top 10 list, as such Lehtonen is far too injury prone for my liking. Other than that, I can't argue with any of your choices. You make an excellent case for Niemi.....although he still has issues with consistency at times, he has been phenominal this year.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Great list and good points. I should have added to my list that I am hesitant to read too much into this shortened season and bump tried and true goalies too much based on this year's results. ie. Bob isn't ending up in my top 10 just yet, although I know some people are already chugging that Kool-Aid

Rask has done an excellent job so far, but I'm not sure 28 games as a starter qualifies him as the #2 keeper goalie just yet. Quick has had a rough year coming off surgery + cup hangover, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt due to a much deeper track record and leaving him at #2 on my list.

I refuse to have band-aid boys on my top 10 list, as such Lehtonen is far too injury prone for my liking. Other than that, I can't argue with any of your choices. You make an excellent case for Niemi.....although he still has issues with consistency at times, he has been phenominal this year.
    Well Bob isn't in my top 10 either but he's flashing good potential and I like the direction Columbus is headed with new management and some quality assets.

This is Rask's second go around as a starter. He has no competition and simply watching him you know the talent is there. At a certain point you just have to concede that he's everything he was hyped to be and put him up there with the elite. To that point he passes Rinne and Quick for me because he has a better team in front of him that will help prop him up.

For Quick I'm not concerned much, which is why he's still a top 5 guy for me. I don't even think it's Cup hangover for him, it's that he's coming off back surgery and the Kings blueline has been humbled by injuries.

Lehtonen's had like one minor injury (this season) since landing in Dallas. I look at him as being two separate guys. Lehtonen in Atlanta was a bandaid boy, **** up, douchebag. Lehtonen in Dallas is one of the league's best who consistently puts up quality numbers in spite of his mediocre team.

And you didn't mention this but I'll add that Halak doesn't warrant HM for me because this season has been disgusting and Ward doesn't warrant it either because he's consistently proven he's only mediocre and I'm tired of anticipating this rise to excellence that's never going to happen unless the Hurricanes really turn into the class of the Southeast.

Dobber Sports Novice

Lundqvist
    Rinne
    Rask
    Price
    Schneider
    Crawford
    Fleury
    Howard
    Markstrom
    Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Veteran

Crawford, Bob and Markstrom in your top 10 and no Quick??? Can I join your keeper league?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Well Bob isn't in my top 10 either but he's flashing good potential and I like the direction Columbus is headed with new management and some quality assets.

This is Rask's second go around as a starter. He has no competition and simply watching him you know the talent is there. At a certain point you just have to concede that he's everything he was hyped to be and put him up there with the elite. To that point he passes Rinne and Quick for me because he has a better team in front of him that will help prop him up.

For Quick I'm not concerned much, which is why he's still a top 5 guy for me. I don't even think it's Cup hangover for him, it's that he's coming off back surgery and the Kings blueline has been humbled by injuries.

Lehtonen's had like one minor injury (this season) since landing in Dallas. I look at him as being two separate guys. Lehtonen in Atlanta was a bandaid boy, **** up, douchebag. Lehtonen in Dallas is one of the league's best who consistently puts up quality numbers in spite of his mediocre team.

And you didn't mention this but I'll add that Halak doesn't warrant HM for me because this season has been disgusting and Ward doesn't warrant it either because he's consistently proven he's only mediocre and I'm tired of anticipating this rise to excellence that's never going to happen unless the Hurricanes really turn into the class of the Southeast.
    Again, excellent points. I have Ward in my top 10 as I have owned him for years now and find that his annual slow starts drag down his %'s making them somewhat decieving, and that he is terrific down the stretch and has won me a couple of fantasy titles. I'd much rather own him than Fleury, who gets wins behind a great Pens team, but rarely if ever gets a shutout....Ward gets 5-6 per year. I really like the moves the Canes have made, and when they add a solid D-man or two I really beleive they can be the class of the SE. He is also a workhorse that faces a ton of rubber, and so is quite valuable in my format which counts saves (even with his average year last year, Fantasy Hockey Geek had him as the #5 goalie with my cats due to sheer volume).

Dobber Sports Guru

I find it interesting that no one has Miller in their top 10, or even honourable mentions. Yet Dobber has Miller sixth in his rankings (yes, different criteria, but still interesting nonetheless).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I find it interesting that no one has Miller in their top 10, or even honourable mentions. Yet Dobber has Miller sixth in his rankings (yes, different criteria, but still interesting nonetheless).
    He needs to escape Buffalo. I think the talent is still there but mentally he's frustrated and the team is playing some bad hockey.

Dobber Sports Guru

Oops, meant to post my list too:

1. Lundqvist - Still the man.
    2. Price - Getting it done this season.
    3. Rask - Still needs to prove he can start 60-plus games
    4. Schneider - There's a reason fans want him to be the #1 goalie
    5. Rinne - Slipping down without Suter. Imagine if they lost Webber too.
    6. Quick - Never been as high on him as others.
    7. Fleury - The Grant Fuhr of this era. Just needs to make the right save at the right time.
    8. Luongo- Will move up the rankings once he's a full-time #1 again
    9. Brodeur - Underrated this season. Fourth in GAA, 10 wins in 16 starts. Would be higher if he wasn't injured this year.
    10. Niemi - The Sharks' MVP this season.

HMs:
    Backstrom - His game starts have gone down each year
    Anderson - Too inconsistent year-to-year.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Veteran

I personally have never been high on either Miller of the Sabres. I think he had one and a bit over achieving season(s) which people assumed would be the new norm. That franchise is a mess, have a terrible defensive core, overpent on over-rated players, and have problems in the room as well. If Miller gets moved, to a powerhouse I may consider him in my top ten, but as a Saber he's not even close and hence gets no HM from me.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Oops, meant to post my list too:

1. Lundqvist - Still the man.
    2. Price - Getting it done this season.
    3. Rask - Still needs to prove he can start 60-plus games
    4. Schneider - There's a reason fans want him to be the #1 goalie
    5. Rinne - Slipping down without Suter. Imagine if they lost Webber too.
    6. Quick - Never been as high on him as others.
    7. Fleury - The Grant Fuhr of this era. Just needs to make the right save at the right time.
    8. Luongo- Will move up the rankings once he's a full-time #1 again
    9. Brodeur - Underrated this season. Fourth in GAA, 10 wins in 16 starts. Would be higher if he wasn't injured this year.
    10. Niemi - The Sharks' MVP this season.

HMs:
    Backstrom - His game starts have gone down each year
    Anderson - Too inconsistent year-to-year.
    Interesting to see how high Price has risen on people's lists this year.......rocketing him to #2 seems a little knee-jerkish IMHO. I have a sneaking suspicion that that the Habs are largely over-achieving and that there will be a correction next year. That said, the talent is there, and he definitely belongs in the top 10. Fleury is an interesting case and his value largely depends on what cats/format is used IMO.....he'll get wins, sure, but puts up mediocre %'s most years and is always on the very low end for shutouts. This hurts his fantasy value in a lot of formats.

Brodeur I will respectfully have to disagree....this is a keeper list and he will only play one, maybe two more years. Sure he'd be higher if he wasn't hurt, but he's constantly been hurt the last couple of years, because he's ancient. He can't help fantasy GM's when he's on the IR.
    Last edited by Shiva Blaster; March 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Interesting to see how high Price has risen on people's lists this year.......rocketing him to #2 seems a little knee-jerkish IMHO. I have a sneaking suspicion that that the Habs are largely over-achieving and that there will be a correction next year. That said, the talent is there, and he definitely belongs in the top 10. Fleury is an interesting case an largely depends on that person's cats IMO.....he'll get wins, sure, but puts up mediocre %'s most years and is always on the very low end for shutouts. This hurts his fantasy value in a lot of formats.

Brodeur I will respectfully have to disagree....this is a keeper list and he will only play one, maybe two more years. Sure he'd be higher if he wasn't hurt, but he's constantly been hurt the last couple of years, because he's ancient. He can't help fantasy GM's when he's on the IR.
    I was going to go in more detail about Price, but didn't want the list to get too long. But I think he's higher because of the team around him. He doesn't have a superstar forward to help the scoring and help get him wins. Subban is the only consistent player he has in front of him. He doesn't have the overall strong defence of a Boston to help clear bodies in front of him. Or a great system like the Blues. The Habs are scoring, but it's an offence by committee. Most nights, Price needs to keep the team in the games until whatever line starts clicking to win the game, and I think that needs to count for something.

I'm a Habs fan though, and I own him in my keeper pool, so I'm probably biased. But right now, I wouldn't trade Price for Quick. Or Schneider. Or Luongo. I would trade him for Lundqvist, and possibly Rinne. That puts him in top two or three in the league in my eyes.

For Fleury, he is higher for me because of his wins, and his GAA (11th this year, 11th last year, seventh the year before that). That's two of the four categories right there. All he needs to do is be respectable in the other ones (in save percentage, 13th this year) and that raises him above a lot of other guys. I'd rather a guy who can win you one or two categories and subpar in another because you know you're getting those one or two.

Finally, Brodeur. I generally have a rule that I don't look past a two-year window for keeper pools. I want to win this year and next year. Past that is too tough to gauge, as players, coaches, systems change too much each year. Brodeur has been having a great year this year, as I mentioned, and is still signed for one more year. Last year, he was injured, and still finished tied for 13th in wins. So if he only plays one or two more years after this one, that's fine by me.