Thread: Keeper Goalie Going Forward?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keeper Goalie Going Forward?

Hey guys. Need some help in goal keeper wise. In a keeper league where we keep 1 goalie. I have the option, through trade, to pick between 4 goalies. Going forward which one would you choose? Quick, Howard, Halak and Crawford. I love Quick, he was beast last year. This year, he has been really inconsistent, and i really think the lockout has affected him...idk why just seems like a completely different player. Will he bounce back next year and be dominant again? Same thing applies with halak. He is either unbeatable or the worst goalie in the league on some nights. I'm looking for some consistency in net that i can depend on.

That bring me to crawford and howard. Their numbers are very very similar this year. Both guys are good for 30 wins. I think crawford probably has more upside, but howard has been pretty consistent the last few years. Crawford was great 2 years ago, sucked last year, and is great again this year. Does it mean he will suck next year, going by the every other year trend? Or has he turned the corner? Definitely not sure where to go...lol Any advice would be awesome!!! Thanks :-)

Dobber Sports Giant

By all means, all 4 of those goalies are amazing. However, if I had to select one, I would go for Quick.

He is in the best situation (good team, backup stud will most likely be dealt so no competition and he's only 26).

Howard is a close second IMO.

I like Crawford, but I don't think he is as good as his current stats.

Halak is good, but he is in a bad situation (3 goalie shuffle)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I would have to tend to agree with your reasoning. Deffinitely makes sense. Quick is still young and hasnt reached his prime years, goalies wise anyways. Howard is 29, and just reaching his prime years and i think the best is right ahead of him. So i agree with your "rankings and reasonings". Thanks for the input. I repped you btw! :-)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quick...hands down. While the other goalies aren't exactly slouches, Quick is young and his ceiling is MUCH higher than the other goalies on that list. With his age he will be the outright #1 in LA for a long, long time. It helps that LA are usually around the top of the standings so he should get a solid number of wins each year to go with his usually stellar GAA.
    Team1 - 12 Team Yahoo Daily H2H Cash League
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    -
    C: McDavid, Scheifele, Larkin
    LW: Huberdeau, Hoffman, Guentzel
    RW: Fiala, Gusev
    D: Hughes, Yandle, Toews, Ristolainen, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Koskinen, Sorokin

Team2 - 12 Team Yahoo Daily H2H Cash League
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    -
    C: Kopitar, Monahan
    LW: Draisaitl, Huberdeau, Connor
    RW: Marner, Fiala, Konecny
    D: Karlsson, Gustafsson, Suter, Sergachev, Chabot
    G: Andersen, Koskinen, Ullmark

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quick
    Halak
    Howard
    Crawford

Dobber Sports Sage

Quick is The Man despite the sucky season. Howard is my second choice but I'm concerned that the Wings are on a long-term downward trajectory for a while.