Thread: Skinner or Pacioretty?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Skinner or Pacioretty?

Who do you prefer going forward in a keeper league?

Stats: G, A, +/-, SHP, Shots, Hits

Dobber Sports Veteran

any thoughts?

Dobber Sports Initiate

That's a tough one, I guess it would probably come down to personal preference.

Patches may be in a better position to out perform Skinner. He plays top minutes for Montreal, who appear to be on the upswing as a whole team.

Skinner may have the better trade value. He's young, talented and plays the game well.

I had both of them on my team at one point but I traded Patches + for Eriksson last season.

I am sure you will get other more detailed replies so don't worry about it too much as this could almost be a coin-flip.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sixhands View Post
    That's a tough one, I guess it would probably come down to personal preference.

Patches may be in a better position to out perform Skinner. He plays top minutes for Montreal, who appear to be on the upswing as a whole team.

Skinner may have the better trade value. He's young, talented and plays the game well.

I had both of them on my team at one point but I traded Patches + for Eriksson last season.

I am sure you will get other more detailed replies so don't worry about it too much as this could almost be a coin-flip.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Thanks for the effort; I see it as nearly a coin-flip as well. Just trying to decide who gets the 8th keeper spot and if I decide to trade Patches today on the deadline (have a deal in the works), if skinner is a fine replacement for next year.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    Thanks for the effort; I see it as nearly a coin-flip as well. Just trying to decide who gets the 8th keeper spot and if I decide to trade Patches today on the deadline (have a deal in the works), if skinner is a fine replacement for next year.
    I would say so.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Ace

I still think Skinner has the advantage as far as ultimate upside. He has the pure skill that Pacioretty doesn't - he's the finisher. Not to slag MaxPac at all, he's a good option. Max adds a bit in the hits department. They are about the same in SOG this year. So, I think it comes down to a question of certainty vs potential - MacPac in my mind should be a consistent 60+ who might flirt with more depending on who he lines up with. Skinner could be a top talent, or he could be in and out of the infirmary his whole career.

I think personally I'd roll the dice on Skinner if this year's scoring isn't super important.

I own both, for what it's worth.
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Stud

For me I think the two of them have similar likelyhood of reaching the 35-40goal 75pt area, and that is where they will sit for much of their career. While Skinner has the upside to go above that for a season or two, I'm going to prefer MaxPac here as he brings more hits to the table.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Longterm Skinner, Shortterm Patches.

Patches, as was pointed out, is currently in a position to succeed. He's not a pure goal scorer and never will be. He has decent hands and fires a tonne of pucks at the net. He has good hockey sense so a lot of his goals come from being in the right place at the right time. He's not a very good passer so he wont get a tonne of assists. He should be a perennial 60pt guy with decent peripherals.

Skinner is a natural finisher and his skating is as good as Crosby's imo. I find he fights the play sometimes instead of flowing with it and this exposes him to hits along the boards and in open ice. He has good hands but his excellent skating make them look that much better. Once this kid matures he will be a 70-80pt guy or he could be a permanent bandaid boy if he keeps exposing his small stature to the rigors of the nhl.

I'd stick with Skinner on this one and I also own both.

Dobber Sports Ace

Upsides are close enough that I'll go with the guy who hasn't been diagnosed with 1000 concussions before the age of 21...Max Pax for me.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Pacioretty, for me.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Skinner has the edge in pure skill, but I like Pacioretty's grit in a league that counts hits, and I also like that Patches is a feature player on the top line in Montreal. He also has great chemistry with Desharnais who is now locked up for the next 4 years.

Given only the above factors, it would be a toss-up for me. But when you consider Skinner's concussion history and the fact that Patches returns from broken backs and apendectomies in mere minutes, that tips the scales quite heavily in Patches favor.

Patches might not be as sexy of a pick as Skinner, but I'll take him every time in that format.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon