Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mike Green's "defensive" play...

Banned

Jesus christ Pengwin is at it again.

Also gotta love the guy who thinks he knows everything because he plays in a men's league.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

+/- is essentially useless. Yeah, there's a small correlation to the skill of creating more goals than you allow. But not enough of a correlation to use it for anything. It says nothing of your linemates or quality of competition. Then again, most traditional stats are useless.

For instance, it's interesting to see how James Neal does on a line without Malkin, and without the the top defensive pair they play against focusing on the highest scoring line in the NHL; Crosby & Friends. 1 point in his past 7 games. Hmmm. This is not a surprise to most people, but Neal, Kunitz and Dupuis are not superstars. They are the beneficiaries of possibly the best 2 centers in the NHL.

Or we can look at the Blues. Who believes Shattenkirk is a much better player than Petro? Probably not many people. But he's a +5 to Petro's -2. All you have to do is look at the fact Petro lines up against opposing team's top scoring line, while Shattenkirk gets 2nd/3rd line opposition.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'd say this comment puts your understanding of +/- in the bottom tier of hockey analytical minds.
    Wow... arrogant douchebag much?

Dobber Sports Icon

Derailment...

The point is, Green sucks.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

These boards are devolving to the HF forum levels...

Make a well-reasoned argument, don't get personal, and make a classy rebuttal.

I'm not trying to sound like I am above anyone; you can flame on me all you want etc etc I don't really care. These are my favourite boards, but its annoying to see a subject get off topic because of relentless name calling and school yard bullying.
    8 team keeper league (keep 5)
    Standard Yahoo scoring format: G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, S, PIM, BLK, W/L, SV, -GA, SO

Forwards:
    Malkin, Benn, Eichel, Kucherov, Draisaitl, Schwartz, Marchessault, R.Smith, Hornqvist, Voracek, Atkinson, Lee, T. Johnson

Defensemen:
    Letang, S. Jones, Krug, Sergachev, McDonagh, Dumba

Goalies:
    Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Rask

Farm:
    Keller, Puljujarvi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Has Green been bad defensively lately? I know the offense is gone but he was probably their best or 2nd best dman defensively earlier in the season. You can't just judge from one play.

Dobber Sports Pro

One bad defensive play warrants a thread? What is with the obsessive hating on this guy anyways?