Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tiger Tiger Woods Y'all!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I actually have way more of a problem with his relationship with one of the most exploitive corporate giants in the world than his decision to cheat on his wife. I bet Nike pays him more than they pay all their subcontracted workforce in Vietnam.

Of course, I can't ever see that becoming a news scandal.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I agree that Tiger cheating on his wife shouldn't be compared to Kobe and R.Lewis's rape and murder charges.. Tiger paid for his ladies, he didn't rape them..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Crosby at the top.
    Woods at the top.
    Just need Federer to be back at top!
    Lebron at the top.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I was kinda wondering what Tiger's women had to do with conversation at all. Somebody help me out because I honestly don't get it - why is it that folks judge others so harshly or even at all? Make fun of them or belittle them. Where is the gain? What's the takeaway from that? I dunno, I am not a funny guy so maybe it's humor I don't understand.

Henry Kissinger and Nixon got drunk one Christmas and decided to carpet bomb Cambodia, knowing there would be innocent civilians dying as a result - but excused it as collateral damage for the greater good. That carpet bombing disturbed the market economy severely enough to pave the way for Pol Pot to take power and kill another 1.8 million Khmer as the world stood by. And you know what? Tiger catches more shit in two years than Nixon and Kissinger caught in their lifetime.

I just don't get it! Is my perspective that screwed up?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Yeah, I was just making an observation about our culture, which to be honest sickens me.

But yes, Tiger's sin is not even in the same universe as the others.
    Of which neither was proven guilty. So the leap to disgust about our culture is pretty irrational.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I was kinda wondering what Tiger's women had to do with conversation at all. Somebody help me out because I honestly don't get it - why is it that folks judge others so harshly or even at all? Make fun of them or belittle them. Where is the gain? What's the takeaway from that? I dunno, I am not a funny guy so maybe it's humor I don't understand.

Henry Kissinger and Nixon got drunk one Christmas and decided to carpet bomb Cambodia, knowing there would be innocent civilians dying as a result - but excused it as collateral damage for the greater good. That carpet bombing disturbed the market economy severely enough to pave the way for Pol Pot to take power and kill another 1.8 million Khmer as the world stood by. And you know what? Tiger catches more shit in two years than Nixon and Kissinger caught in their lifetime.

I just don't get it! Is my perspective that screwed up?
    I'd assume it's because Tiger's issues aren't all that serious in the grande scheme of things so that makes it a really easy target for humour. Also, remember this is DobberHockey. People take their sports way too seriously. We wouldn't be having this conversation if we didn't.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'd assume it's because Tiger's issues aren't all that serious in the grande scheme of things so that makes it a really easy target for humour. Also, remember this is DobberHockey. People take their sports way too seriously. We wouldn't be having this conversation if we didn't.
    There ya go - I don't get the humor. I might need to fix that.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Of which neither was proven guilty. So the leap to disgust about our culture is pretty irrational.
    Clearly you and I have different views about the effectiveness of our legal system to deliver real justice.

Not sure how close you followed the Lewis case, perhaps you were too young at a the time to remember, but it all boils down to a white, blood-drenched blazer that everyone saw him wearing that night which mysteriously disappeared. How does that happen? Of course he got off (much like OJ) due to the "beyond reasonable doubt" threshold that our shitty criminal legal system adheres to when it comes to burden of proof.

I don't think it's irrational at all. Only in our ****ed up society would millions of people rally behind an obvious murderer at the Superbowl and herald him as a hero and the "greatest linebacker of all time". God bless America.
    Last edited by blayze; March 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM.

Dobber Sports Genius

We're all aware of the Rwanda ,(forgive my spelling skills), genocide yet for the most part
    we sit by and watch innocent people slaughtered.
    I think it's because we feel we really don't know what to say/do to make a difference in these situations.
    As for Tiger , as fans we feel a closer connection to him , somehow making us feel we can influence his actions.Something like that.Or we have the right to have an opinion.
    Shoeless you are a very worldly person , you have a vast knowledge of the sufferings inflicked on the innocent of this world.You make a difference.It's so easy to do , yet we convince ourselves it's too hard or/and , we're too "small" to make any change.We make excuses easily.We don't want the guilt on our consciences ,m so we "avoid" the whole thing.
    As far as adultery goes , anyone who thinks it's not a big deal , I'd ask you to watch the latest episode of "Monday Mornings" , that will open your eyes and ears.Great show!
    There is something about being rich/famous that makes people excuse/feel sorry for them when they get in trouble , they get chance after chance to change.Look at Lindsy Lohan for example.
    I don't know Rick , it's a f%#ked up world at times.
    You have to admit though , it's nice to see Tiger on top again.
    Remember laughter is the best medicine , it is what got many POWs through thier ordeals ,
    sometimes it's all you have to survive , many comedians are victims of depression and turned to humor to cope with life.
    Maybe that helps , POOL ON Sir!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Administrator

Clearly you and I have different views about the effectiveness of our legal system to deliver real justice.

Not sure how close you followed the Lewis case, perhaps you were too young at a the time to remember, but it all boils down to a white, blood-drenched blazer that everyone saw him wearing that night which mysteriously disappeared. How does that happen? Of course he got off (much like OJ) due to the "beyond reasonable doubt" threshold that our shitty criminal legal system adheres to when it comes to burden of proof.

I don't think it's irrational at all. Only in our ****ed up society would millions of people rally behind an obvious murderer at the Superbowl and herald him as a hero and the "greatest linebacker of all time". God bless America.
    No it is irrational because you don't know for sure. And so you are basing this whole disgust with "America" and "society" on something there is no way you can possibly know the truth about. This would be akin to me getting disgusted at "society" for losing their faith in God or for not believing in aliens.

You're welcome to your own opinion but to jump from having that opinion to disgust is so presumptive on so many levels it's absurd. You don't know that Lewis killed anyone for sure nor do you know that Kobe raped anyone for sure and more over you don't know that people are simply casting aside their concerns about the checkered pasts of these players while celebrating their playing careers. Is everyone so shallow in your mind? Must everything be so black and white despite the abundant shades of grey?

Do you really think that individuals are so incapable of having multiple feelings on one issue that "society" is "****ed up" and lost? Give me a break man. These are complex issues with truths we will never truly know. If you can't appreciate the fact that people could have multiple opinions on a single topic at one time because of this inability to ever know the truth then your disgust is misguided and makes an even worse assumption than your already bad assumption that these players are automatically guilty and that's that the average person is a complete nincompoop incapable of more than one feeling at a time or are you just assuming that because that's how your mind works?

Dobber Sports Ninja

No it is irrational because you don't know for sure. And so you are basing this whole disgust with "America" and "society" on something there is no way you can possibly know the truth about. This would be akin to me getting disgusted at "society" for losing their faith in God or for not believing in aliens.

You're welcome to your own opinion but to jump from having that opinion to disgust is so presumptive on so many levels it's absurd. You don't know that Lewis killed anyone for sure nor do you know that Kobe raped anyone for sure and more over you don't know that people are simply casting aside their concerns about the checkered pasts of these players while celebrating their playing careers. Is everyone so shallow in your mind? Must everything be so black and white despite the abundant shades of grey?

Do you really think that individuals are so incapable of having multiple feelings on one issue that "society" is "****ed up" and lost? Give me a break man. These are complex issues with truths we will never truly know. If you can't appreciate the fact that people could have multiple opinions on a single topic at one time because of this inability to ever know the truth then your disgust is misguided and makes an even worse assumption than your already bad assumption that these players are automatically guilty and that's that the average person is a complete nincompoop incapable of more than one feeling at a time or are you just assuming that because that's how your mind works?
    I happen to have very strong personal views on what society should celebrate and what it should shun, and yes I really do think societal values are going to shit and its deteriorating every day - but that's my own prerogative that I'm sharing (because this is a forum) and I'm not forcing anyone to align with my views.

You're giving me shit for having a "black and white" view... yet you're telling me that I'm being irrational because we don't know 100% that Lewis killed someone? How contradictory is that? There's a lot of things we don't know... yet we still have to form opinions and make decisions everyday. If anything I think you're the one with the black and white view.

I'm irrational for looking at damning evidence and forming my own opinion around the case, and then feeling disgusted about how society so easily forgets the past and celebrates this man? If YOUR opinion is that everyone is innocent until proven guilty then so be it, I am glad you live in a happy, idealistic world. I've seen and experienced things in my life that lead me to believe different and if that makes me irrational then so be it.

You call me irrational, but I call you naive. To each their own.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Anyway I'm sorry to derail this thread with my extreme views of our society, I know it's got little to do with the purpose of this thread lol

Administrator

I happen to have very strong personal views on what society should celebrate and what it should shun, and yes I really do think societal values are going to shit and its deteriorating every day - but that's my own prerogative that I'm sharing (because this is a forum) and I'm not forcing anyone to align with my views.

You're giving me shit for having a "black and white" view... yet you're telling me that I'm being irrational because we don't know 100% that Lewis killed someone? How contradictory is that? There's a lot of things we don't know... yet we still have to form opinions and make decisions everyday. If anything I think you're the one with the black and white view.

I'm irrational for looking at damning evidence and forming my own opinion around the case, and then feeling disgusted about how society so easily forgets the past and celebrates this man? If YOUR opinion is that everyone is innocent until proven guilty then so be it, I am glad you live in a happy, idealistic world. I've seen and experienced things in my life that lead me to believe different and if that makes me irrational then so be it.

You call me irrational, but I call you naive. To each their own.
    No, I just think it's irrational to assume that everyone is simply casting aside what they know about these alleged criminals in order to celebrate them. Your assumptions are thus two-fold and that's what I take issue with.

Me personally, I'll never know for sure whether Kobe raped anyone or whether Lewis killed anyone and I'm not close enough to any of the evidence to truly make a call one way or the other. But I will always think of these alleged crimes when considering the legacy of these athletes. I can neither ignore them nor can I fully shun them because I don't know.

But it sounds to me like you want people to draw a line in the sand as though they can't be conflicted about issues this deep. As though they can't have multiple opinions and experience a breadth of thought and emotion. That's not being naive that's accepting one's ignorance of the complete story, which is an ignorance that we and "society" share.

And yeah as far as the justice system goes you do have to draw a line in the sand and pick a side the whole innocent until proven guilty issue but it doesn't mean I can't be conflicted about that too. I obviously stand with the status quo in terms of the application of the law but in the court of my mind there will be no lines drawn. I refuse to not have complicated and conflicting thoughts about grey area topics. As soon as I give that up I give away my rationality.

So my point is two-fold - there is irrationality in assuming guilt when you will never know all the facts and ultimately the truth and that it is even more irrational to assume people are simply ignoring these alleged transgressions in celebrating these athletes. Now you are welcome to assume all these things because that's your wont. Just know that it's irrational to not consider the flip side.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Smoothfun - I agree that everyone has the right to their own opinions. I wasn't saying they didn't.

Dobber Sports Genius

It's all good Shoeless , my point was that as obviously terrible as somethings can be , there are those of us who cope/survive by using humor.This can come across as insensitive ,
    or/and ignorrant but , it's how many deal with that shit.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack