Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [Trade] Morrow to the Pens

The Great One

Big price to pay, but it will definitely make Pittsburgh a stronger team

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

As a Pens fan, I don't really like the deal. Coming into the season, the front office ranked its top prospects as 1. Morrow 2. Bennett 3. Despres. I don't see the need to trade the team's top prospect for a guy who, at this point in his career, is about a 40-pt guy with grit and leadership. That sounds fantastic for a playoff team, but I find it hard to believe that J Morrow couldn't have fetched Iginla or something better than Morrow.

That being said, I've recently read that the team thinks Derick Pouliot and Olli Maatta will end up being better than Morrow when all is said and done. But Morrow should be an NHLer next season and was part of the reason the Penguins didn't have to re-sign Letang at $7+ mil after next season.

I don't like the price for only B Morrow.

Fantasy Spin: Once Malkin comes back, Morrow is supposed to start on his wing with Neal. Bennett to the third line with Sutter and Cooke. Bennett has been fine as a 21-year-old kid in the Top 6 so far IMO, especially considering Malkin has missed the last 7 games. Morrow adds some value, Bennett's drops as far as this season is concerned.
    10 Teams, Keep 15

H2H Categories: G, A, PPP, Hits, Blks, SOG -- W, GAA, SV%, SVs

3C - MacKinnon, Barkov, Vilardi (RW), Bennett, W Johnston
    3LW - Fiala, Jenner, Byfield, Raymond
    3RW - Miller, Jarvis, Kyrou, Debrusk
    5D - Fox, Q Hughes, Matheson, Letang
    2F

2G (max 4) - Vasilevskiy, Woll, Samsonov

8 Farm - L Hughes, M Knies, M Michkov, Z Benson, F Nazar, M Savoie, Annunen (G)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Not sure how I feel about the deal considering Morrow isn't nearly as effective as he used to be. Pens have a great thing going with Kunitz and Dupuis so I hope bringing in a borderline top 6er doesn't mess things up.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I don't see Brendan Morrow as somebody I would want on the Bruins anyway. He has definitely lost a few steps in his game.. But who knows, maybe this guy puts the Pens over the top??

Go for Iggy B's!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Good hockey deal, but I'm surprised the Pens gave up Joe Morrow.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    Good hockey deal, but I'm surprised the Pens gave up Joe Morrow.
    Didn't I read somewhere a week or so ago Shero saying that Morrow is going nowhere? You can never trust what GMs say. The presence of that other promising prospect, Pouliot, is what made them give him up. I've always suspected Pouliot is the better prospect.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i'd rather they keep the top two lines intact. bennet would be a waste on the third line. put morrow sutter cooke to form a sick checking line.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i'd rather they keep the top two lines intact. bennet would be a waste on the third line. put morrow sutter cooke to form a sick checking line.
    My guess is that's what they will do although you can bet Morrow will get some second unit power play time.

As much as it sucks for the Penguins to give up a top prospect like Morrow for what essentially amounts to a rental they were definitely able to do so because of how much prospect depth they have on defense. Just look at who they have even after dealing Morrow:

Simon Despres, Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta, Scott Harrington and Brian Dumoulin. Even if Morrow was the best of the bunch they've still got other guys who will be able to step up.

One thing I am wondering is whether this deal now makes it possible for Dallas to move a defenseman. They've got some depth there now and maybe they change things up. Either Goligoski or Robidas might be deemed expendable and if ever there was an asset that would fetch a good return in this market it's a defenseman signed to a reasonable deal.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

Morrow will be just fine on his new team.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    My guess is that's what they will do although you can bet Morrow will get some second unit power play time.

As much as it sucks for the Penguins to give up a top prospect like Morrow for what essentially amounts to a rental they were definitely able to do so because of how much prospect depth they have on defense. Just look at who they have even after dealing Morrow:

Simon Despres, Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta, Scott Harrington and Brian Dumoulin. Even if Morrow was the best of the bunch they've still got other guys who will be able to step up.

One thing I am wondering is whether this deal now makes it possible for Dallas to move a defenseman. They've got some depth there now and maybe they change things up. Either Goligoski or Robidas might be deemed expendable and if ever there was an asset that would fetch a good return in this market it's a defenseman signed to a reasonable deal.
    spot on once again, metaldude. This deal makes a lot of sense for both teams because Pittsburgh dealt from a position of depth and landed a strong character player who can play the role given to him and chip in a bit offensively with 2nd line PP duty and possible spot shifting with either Malkin or Crosby.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    I agree Praba. I would think that this move is to give Pitt strength and flexibility on their bottom 6, with the ability to move cooke, morrow or bennet onto the 2nd line.

I think a Sutter, Cooke/Kennedy, Morrow line would be very difficult to play against, that could also line up against another teams #1 line. Although I see Kennedy there so that you have Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis and Adams as your PK forwards.

Morrow also allows them to play Malkin, Neal, Crosby, Letang on the PP with Morrow planted in front of the net.

I like the move and think Morrow will bring a leadership to this group that it has not had in a while. Not to mention a veteran at the end of his career who will recognize this as his last and best hope for a cup.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PittPens1787 View Post
    As a Pens fan, I don't really like the deal. Coming into the season, the front office ranked its top prospects as 1. Morrow 2. Bennett 3. Despres. I don't see the need to trade the team's top prospect for a guy who, at this point in his career, is about a 40-pt guy with grit and leadership. That sounds fantastic for a playoff team, but I find it hard to believe that J Morrow couldn't have fetched Iginla or something better than Morrow.

That being said, I've recently read that the team thinks Derick Pouliot and Olli Maatta will end up being better than Morrow when all is said and done. But Morrow should be an NHLer next season and was part of the reason the Penguins didn't have to re-sign Letang at $7+ mil after next season.

I don't like the price for only B Morrow.

Fantasy Spin: Once Malkin comes back, Morrow is supposed to start on his wing with Neal. Bennett to the third line with Sutter and Cooke. Bennett has been fine as a 21-year-old kid in the Top 6 so far IMO, especially considering Malkin has missed the last 7 games. Morrow adds some value, Bennett's drops as far as this season is concerned.

I don't like the deal that much either. Incoming Morrow is a UFA next year. Dallas acquires a blue chip prospect who will be ready next year. It would have been nice to acquire a player whose rights we owned for at least next year, too!

Sucks that Bennett drops to the 3rd line. He has top 6 skill set. He's done fine so far. I'd rather see him on Crosby's wing and Dupuis dropped down to the 3rd line - in my fantasy world anyway. Here's hoping that Bennett goes nuts tonight!
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Pro

Good deal if they win a cup. Bad deal if they don't. In my opinion.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    I don't like the deal that much either. Incoming Morrow is a UFA next year. Dallas acquires a blue chip prospect who will be ready next year. It would have been nice to acquire a player whose rights we owned for at least next year, too!

Sucks that Bennett drops to the 3rd line. He has top 6 skill set. He's done fine so far. I'd rather see him on Crosby's wing and Dupuis dropped down to the 3rd line - in my fantasy world anyway. Here's hoping that Bennett goes nuts tonight!
    I suspect that Dallas was looking at how the Neal trade has worked out and was determined not to lose this deal so they drew a line in the sand and demanded to get the Pens' top guy back. That doesn't necessarily mean that the Penguins had to give in there but again you look at their depth and you can understand why they felt they could make the move.

And ultimately, even if you lose Morrow after the season it's worth it to trade for him if he helps you make the Cup Final.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Super Moderator

This reminds me when people thought the Penguins got fleeced when they acquired Hossa. Not saying Morrow is an Esposito but still too early to judge.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.