Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: [Trade] Morrow to the Pens

Dobber Sports Sage

Imho, the deal is horrible from the Pens perspective no matter how you spin it. I think they win the cup with or with out him barring injury. Maata and Benoit are better prospects as far as I'm concerned but players like Morrow are a dime a dozen. Aging guys with "leadership" who haven't won shit in forever. As for not messing up the chemistry in the top 6 that is a load of crap imo. Kunitz and whom ever else's production has nothing to due with chemistry and everything to do with just being good enough to put up numbers with the gods that are Crosby and Malkin. You put a real solid winger on there lines and it's over. That is what they should have got for Morrow and if they had to sweeten it with a second so be it. At this point Morrow has no more value then a Pony Boy imo and what did that cost. Bad deal period, but I just talk a lot.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PittPens1787 View Post
    As a Pens fan, I don't really like the deal. Coming into the season, the front office ranked its top prospects as 1. Morrow 2. Bennett 3. Despres. I don't see the need to trade the team's top prospect for a guy who, at this point in his career, is about a 40-pt guy with grit and leadership. That sounds fantastic for a playoff team, but I find it hard to believe that J Morrow couldn't have fetched Iginla or something better than Morrow.

That being said, I've recently read that the team thinks Derick Pouliot and Olli Maatta will end up being better than Morrow when all is said and done. But Morrow should be an NHLer next season and was part of the reason the Penguins didn't have to re-sign Letang at $7+ mil after next season.

I don't like the price for only B Morrow.

Fantasy Spin: Once Malkin comes back, Morrow is supposed to start on his wing with Neal. Bennett to the third line with Sutter and Cooke. Bennett has been fine as a 21-year-old kid in the Top 6 so far IMO, especially considering Malkin has missed the last 7 games. Morrow adds some value, Bennett's drops as far as this season is concerned.
    I agree with you. Morrow was a heavy price to pay. I'm guessing Shero is hoping for another Guerin. I think Bennett is doing fine in the top 6 but maybe Morrow will fit there better. I'm guessing hell get bumped down to line 3 and will then bump Kennedy or Cooke down to line 4.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Spot on. Looks like Dallas has made their decision.

I wonder who's next? Jagr? Roy? Robidas?
    Who says they are sellers? They are 8th in their conference right now.
    Last edited by letangerang58; March 25, 2013 at 1:56 AM.
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Hossa, Guerin, Kunitz, Neal...

not saying that Morrow is of the same category, but you can't really be critical of the Pens track record when it comes to these things
    Ponikarvsky?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Maybe Morrow is not as ready as everyone is making him out to be. Here are his AHL stats this season.

GP G A PTS +/- SOG PIM
    57 4 11 15 -7 97 35

From theAHL.com

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    Maybe Morrow is not as ready as everyone is making him out to be. Here are his AHL stats this season.

GP G A PTS +/- SOG PIM
    57 4 11 15 -7 97 35

From theAHL.com
    Are people making him out to be "ready"? I just think we are making him out to be good.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Being a Pens fan, maybe I'm the only one that likes this deal. When they picked both Morrow and Harrington in 11 and Pouliot and Matta in 12 I figured not to get attached to any of them figuring at least 2 of them would be pieces in future deals. Sure, Morrow is arguably our best D prospect but with Pouliot, Maata, Despres, Harrington, and Dumuolin it's not like the cupboard is bare.

As to how to use him and how another poster already mentioned, I would throw him on the 3rd line with Sutter and Cooke/TK and use him as a 2nd PP option. Give him a few minutes with Malkin and Neal in crucial situations in games where Bennett may be overwhelmed. I'm sure we have a few weeks of the season left to find where he will fit the best over that time. He brings a lot of leadership to the room which is never a bad thing.

I remember right when the 2010 Olympic roster was announced that Morrow got a lot of flack when being selected. He was too slow, washed up, and had no business being on that team. But I do remember that he played his ass off, every shift, scored 2 goals in the tourney, and left Vancouver with gold around his neck.

I would prefer him over the price it would cost for Iginla. Just wish Ray would find a 3/4 Dman for the playoffs as that's what we have needed more of than another forward. In Shero we trust!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Are people making him out to be "ready"? I just think we are making him out to be good.
    Well, there was one person who pretty much said that in this thread but also a lot of people have mentioned in the past that he was close.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by NikW71 View Post
    I remember right when the 2010 Olympic roster was announced that Morrow got a lot of flack when being selected. He was too slow, washed up, and had no business being on that team. But I do remember that he played his ass off, every shift, scored 2 goals in the tourney, and left Vancouver with gold around his neck.

I would prefer him over the price it would cost for Iginla. Just wish Ray would find a 3/4 Dman for the playoffs as that's what we have needed more of than another forward. In Shero we trust!
    Yea, I'm thinking that Morrow was the right guy to go after. I just don't like the price we paid. But I think its better that we went after Morrow because its more important for our team to have 3 scoring lines as opposed to just 2 ridiculous scoring lines.

Dobber Sports Guru

Morrow is a solid add to the team. Veteran leader with gritty game. Not sure where his current level of play is at but hopefully he's the player the 2nd line has been missing all season.

Sucks to lose J.Morrow though but I guess the depth at D-prospects makes this price tolerable.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw