Thread: Fasth a starter next year?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Fasth a starter next year?

I've got an offer of Fasth for my Faulk and in consideration of it am wondering about the odds of Fasth being a starter next year and beyond. The sample size is still too small for my liking but judging by the contract he was given, the Ducks believe he is starter material. GMs don't dish out almost 3 mil in cap hit to back-ups. Now the problem of course is that Hiller is still in the picture for one more year. So unless one of them gets dealt, we're looking at Fasth time-sharing the crease, at best, which is no good in weekly change leagues.

My goalie situation needs improvement, though. I need 2 starters and other than Hiller I have two oldies and not so goodies: Nabokov and Kipper. Kipper is expensive and unreliable and playing for a crappy team: he burned me this year and I won't let it happen again next year. Nabokov has been OK but he's 37 and his best days are way behind him. I can clearly use a 2nd quality starter so seems to me it's worth taking a chance on Fasth.

I like Faulk a lot but d-men are easier to come by than goalies. I know the Fasth owner also likes Muzzin so maybe I'll counter with Muzzin instead of Faulk. Any thoughts and insight are greatly appreciated.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I need more info on your league to give you a complete answer, but Fasth's long term path certainly appears to be that of a primary starter. My only concern is that Anaheim won't be able to get a sufficient return for either and may hold on to both of their goalies. If that's the case, you'll be best served keeping them both.

My hunch is that by waiting a few months more, you may get a far more substantial return.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    I need more info on your league to give you a complete answer, but Fasth's long term path certainly appears to be that of a primary starter. My only concern is that Anaheim won't be able to get a sufficient return for either and may hold on to both of their goalies. If that's the case, you'll be best served keeping them both.

My hunch is that by waiting a few months more, you may get a far more substantial return.
    I'm thinking of getting Fasth, as my potential 2nd starter next year. We count Wins and SV% as the only goalie cats. Your reply seems to indicate you thought it was the other way around?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Bump. Any more thoughts on Fasth for next year and beyond? What is the likelihood ANA keeps both him and Hiller? It figures they'll try to trade Hiller since they gave Fasth starter money. They will have the cap space to keep both, though.

Dobber Sports Superstar

This is a really hard situation to predict. Back when Fasth signed he was the hot goalie and Hiller was struggling, since then Hiller seems to have the edge in the platoon situation and Fasth has had some rough starts. With Perry and Getzlaf deals the Ducks have $10million in cap space to sign 9 players for next year and that includes Selanne ($4.5) Koivu ($3.8) and Lydman ($3) to re-sign. Even at significant reductions to Selanne and Koivu they're looking at cap issues.

I initially thought $7.75 was may to much to spend in net however the following teams are projected to spend even more next year (either signings or my estimates)

VAN- $9.3M
    NSH- $8.5M
    NYR- $8.1M
    MIN- $7.9M
    MTL- $7.7M
    PIT- $7.0M

Vancouver needs to move one this summer as they have by far the truest pair of starters. Pittsburgh and the Rangers have a lot of money tied up in star players just like the Ducks and won't be moving their goalies so I guess it's possible that the Ducks keep both.

Ultimately, I'm still not sure whether Fasth stays a Duck and if he's the starter next year. I think it will come down to how both goalies play for the remainder of the season and what the market is for either one in the offseason. If the Ducks can get a good return for either guy I can see them pulling the trigger. Ideally for Fasth owners Hiller would get shipped out and Fasth get the reigns going forward for at least a few seasons.

Given that starting goalies are valuable in any league I'd probably lean towards pulling the trigger, even if Fasth is in the timeshare in Anaheim it's a good timeshare to be apart of.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks LawMan, great feedback. Yeah, it's tough to predict what ANA will do with their goalies but it seems like it's a worthwhile gamble on Fasth right now.

Dobber Sports Wizard

So I pulled the trigger. Faulk for Fasth. Now Anaheim, please trade either of them in the off-season.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    So I pulled the trigger. Faulk for Fasth. Now Anaheim, please trade either of them in the off-season.
    I think you made a smart choice. Watching one of their recent games where Fasth allowed 4 GA and took the loss, he stopped 3 full breakaways and several good odd-man rushes. The team around him has been poor and he has not started enough, it's taken him out of his rhythm.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne