Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Could Karlsson be poised to return in a month?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    lol, saw him in person the other week and he is definitely not on PEDs like Ovechkin is
    There are different types of performance enhancers, not just the mass-gaining kinds so looks have nothing to do with it.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    I'd almost prefer he didn't come back this season.. Let that guy heal nicely and come back next season!
    Agree 100%.

Ottawa is not winning the cup this year, so I don't want them risking the franchise player.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

They're doing well without Spezza and karlsson and Michalek that can score goals. If they're back in the playoffs,they will be dangerous and not easy to beat.

Dobber Sports Ace

Answer: No

Unless Bryan Murray decided to replace Coach Moustache with Mike Shanahan. Then he is playing next week. 30min/ game.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    There are different types of performance enhancers, not just the mass-gaining kinds so looks have nothing to do with it.
    There is nothing I've seen medically proven to help heal tendon injuries faster ... PRP therapy (which is spinning down own blood cells and gettting the platelet rich plasma) which is hyped in some places (used in some pro athletes with tendinitis) but not proven scientifically.

In theory may work at time of surgery (but it is far from routine - seen it used once in Canada and it was a hassle to set it up, getting hospital to allow it- and doubt they use it in a case where have high infection risk from skate laceration).

PRP used by Danny Granger, Nadal, tiger woods, and a variation by Kobe in Germany
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...knee-treatment

In Canada, you can't really charge a set fee ($$$) for this type of injection yet (as far as I know because medical fees set by government), but in places like the US/Australia where you can privately charge whatever you want to patients ($500-$2,500 per injection which takes a few minutes, get multiple injections over time) this is a huge potential money maker for sports physicians (how many injections can you do in an hour, 10-20? versus a surgeon doing one surgery that takes 1-2 hours). Can make huge sums selling ppl on these prp injections that haven't been shown to be much better than placebo in rigorous scientific studies, but ppl will pay out the nose for a supposed quick fix.
    Last edited by cdubb; April 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM.
    Semi-retired

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Agree 100%.

Ottawa is not winning the cup this year, so I don't want them risking the franchise player.
    I just don't see the risk. The only risk is him getting cut again.

Dobber Sports Icon

Just had a nice discussion with a surgeon about concussions and EK injury at the medical center i work at.

Interestingly as per concussions, his brother is a chiropractor who is about to patton a new helmut with padding on the outside. Test prove that its works(and helmuts really havent changed over the years as compared to most other equiptment)All the best getting players to buy into space helmut though.

As for EK injury, while its great hes skating, don't expect him to return b4 his time. Its not about the simple act of skating - its the power to push off and the sudden turns and stops that affect things.

Dobber Sports Pro

What about if he analyzes the game at the speed he used to play, but when he returns he can't skate nearly as fast as before when he was in tip top form... and gets drilled. That's a pretty large risk.

He will be a very important, slow moving target of physical play.
    Last edited by Ross The Boss Palmer; April 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Banned

Here he is skating today, and he is actually shooting on the Sens' doctor, who performed his surgery.

http://videos.videopress.com/VVsaA5M...ebapr9_dvd.mp4

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    What about if he analyzes the game at the speed he used to play, but when he returns he can't skate nearly as fast as before when he was in tip top form... and gets drilled. That's a pretty large risk.

He will be a very important, slow moving target of physical play.
    Good point. Not sure what his speed is like now, but Karlsson at 50% speed is probably faster than a lot of players

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Flex View Post
    Answer: No

Unless Bryan Murray decided to replace Coach Moustache with Mike Shanahan. Then he is playing next week. 30min/ game.
    Lol good one!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Banned

Don't see how he doesn't return now after watching him skate

Dobber Sports Ace

Here he is skating today, and he is actually shooting on the Sens' doctor, who performed his surgery.

http://videos.videopress.com/VVsaA5M...ebapr9_dvd.mp4
    Which surgeon? I knew Don Chow used to be team doc/play goalie, but then had his horrific motorcycle injury. If its him, almost as miraculous recovery for the doc as for Karlsson.
    Semi-retired

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Which surgeon? I knew Don Chow used to be team doc/play goalie, but then had his horrific motorcycle injury. If its him, almost as miraculous recovery for the doc as for Karlsson.
    Yup it's Don Chow. He's been back for a while now, can't remember exactly when.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I am by no means a physician or physio therapist Big Ev, but it seems to me that the cells in the tendon may have healed enough for light activity, but not enough for professional hockey. If the tendon isn't sufficiently strong, isn't there an increased chance of a rupture?

I don't know. I don't trust the doctors in pro sports though. There's a huge financial incentive to get the athlete back in the business as soon as possible.

Of course I want Ottawa to win and I believe that anything can happen in the playoffs (especially with a hot goalie), but the odds of them beating Boston or Pittsburgh are slim....so if there is any chance that Karlsson's tendon is not 100%, I'd rather they sit him out until next season.

But again....I'm not a medical professional.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov