Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Karlsson be poised to return in a month?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Could Karlsson be poised to return in a month?

Listening to the Team 1200 pregame show @ lunch, the guys mentioned they wouldn't be surprised to see EK back in one month's time or slighty longer. Possibly early May, or into round one of the playoffs.

EK was seen in the hollows of the building after the Boston/Ott game in great spirits, walking without crutches, with a "mild" limp.

I know the recovery time is 6-8 months or longer. Perhaps he is exceeding his recovery time. He is a freak of nature , young and has access to an amazing medical/therapy staff, so I wouldn't rule out his return.

Let's all hope he makes a quick return. He's great for the game. And my Sens. God knows he's chomping at the bit to get back out there.

Don't shoot the messenger here, just trying to pass along what might be some good news for Sens owners/Sens fans.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sounds like the press creating news with a very huge stretch going on.

Dobber Sports Pro

As a fan and owner in both my keepers, I hope he doesn't come back until next season. Rushing to come back, the grittiness of the playoffs, atrophy and decline of fitness are a recipe for disaster.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ace

Walking with a limp is different from skating. Was he in a cam boot?

He's only 5-6 weeks post surgery, it takes a minimum of 6 weeks for the tendon to heal strong enough for rehab. If you are TOO aggressive with rehab, you stretch out the repair which is weak, leaving you permanently with less power in the calf/Achilles (since the lever arm is weakened).

*** the one reason EK might be the exception is that it wasn't the usual rupture (where tendon is crappy or worn out) but a clean laceration from a skate, and we don't know whether it was 50% cut, 25%, etc.

If anyone's ever injured their leg, and had to use crutches for a while, the calf muscle wastes a lot, especially when it's the Achilles itself torn.

Like I said before last year Zajac tried to come back in 3-4 months, took at least 6 months.
    Last edited by cdubb; March 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm sure I read somewhere that is was more than 50%, cdubb but I doubt I can find that not again and certainly wouldn't guarantee I have it right.

I think this is just typical sports reporter spin - he limped around, said he was feeling good (it's relative) and away the story goes.

He could be semi-bionic like AP but I don't see the Sens screwing around with this regardless.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It was a 70% cut. Just an FYI.

Dobber Sports Ace

thats a big cut, so coming back in a month would be superhuman.

most ppl right now are walking in a protective boot with heel wedges so the tendon doesn't stretch.

Like the NFL players coming back from ACL surgery faster, the ACL tendon graft itself (depending if it's fixed with bone-tendon-bone vs just tendon) takes 2-3 months to heal, but can rehab building up muscles (quads, hammys) around the knee.

In an Achilles repair, the only thing to strengthen is the tendon itself, so you have to wait 2-3 months for it to heal completely before doing aggressive rehab.
    Last edited by cdubb; March 23, 2013 at 6:56 PM.
    Semi-retired

Administrator

Terrell Suggs came back in five months after surgery on a partially torn Achilles and that was deemed miraculous. I have a real tough time believing that Karlsson's now going to do it in three months.

I suppose it's possible if they've really been putting in a lot of work on the science end perfecting the steroids or whatever for these guys to take to speed up their rehab. But even then that would require Karlsson to actually be taking them, which there's really no way of knowing whether or not he is and event then it may not be enough to get him back this season.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Terrell Suggs came back in five months after surgery on a partially torn Achilles and that was deemed miraculous. I have a real tough time believing that Karlsson's now going to do it in three months.

I suppose it's possible if they've really been putting in a lot of work on the science end perfecting the steroids or whatever for these guys to take to speed up their rehab. But even then that would require Karlsson to actually be taking them, which there's really no way of knowing whether or not he is and event then it may not be enough to get him back this season.
    Interestingly, here in Korea if you suffer this type of injury, dog meat is the food of choice for it's supposed healing powers. Wonder if Karlsson is visiting the local Boshintang restaurant?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Interestingly, here in Korea if you suffer this type of injury, dog meat is the food of choice for it's supposed healing powers. Wonder if Karlsson is visiting the local Boshintang restaurant?
    Dog meat? Really? Well I know an annoying little dachshund that lives next door that's going down if I ever fall victim to one of these injuries.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah it's hard to get to the bottom of it, science or myth, but dog meat restaurants are everywhere and expensive. If a Korean wants to treat you to something special, that's where they will take you - oh thank you very much. My body doesn't handle so good - black, gooey poop for 3 days - not normal. Done it twice and I don't even find the taste or aroma appealing which many westerners do.

Dobber Sports Icon

Even if he is able to skate, the Sens would be crazy to risk any further injury for one playoff run. I own EK in 4 keepers and would not be happy to see him return from such a serious injury before next season.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

They definitely did not say they wouldn't be surprised they were just mentioning that it would be nice, more like a pipe dream, because this team has been playing so well without its stars.
    10-team - 1yr, h2h Yahoo! - 2 Waiver pickups/week
    G,A,+/-,Hits,PPP,SOG,W,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily starts: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2 UTIL, 2G, 6BE

C: B.Richards, Grabovski, MacKinnon, Kesler
    LW: Vanek(RW), Pacioretty,
    RW: Ovechkin, Iginla, Wheeler, Okposo, Neil
    D: Letang, Green, Phaneuf
    G: Crawford, Price, Pavelec
    IR: R. Nash

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that is was more than 50%, cdubb but I doubt I can find that not again and certainly wouldn't guarantee I have it right.

I think this is just typical sports reporter spin - he limped around, said he was feeling good (it's relative) and away the story goes.

He could be semi-bionic like AP but I don't see the Sens screwing around with this regardless.
    Pretty sure it was in the 70-75% range and a clean cut. About as good a scenario as an owner could hope for in that scenario. I hope he doesn't see a second of ice until next Aug/Sept.
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Guru

Here is something I read on rotoworld this morning. He crazy if you ask me.

Erik Karlsson doesn't want to rule himself out if the Ottawa Senators get into the playoffs and have a lengthy run.
    "The guys have been playing great and that helps my motivation as well," Karlsson said Monday during the first intermission. "I'm looking forward to the playoffs. If that time comes, it's going to be a decision. But right now, we don't really aim to play this year." He is currently walking without a protective boot, as he continues to slowly recover from Achilles tendon surgery in mid-February. Karlsson is encouraged by his progress even if it is gradual.
    Source: Ottawa Citizen Mar 26 - 9:54 AM