Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Could Karlsson be poised to return in a month?

Dobber Sports Ace

It would be so stupid for him to try and come back early. He's got a long career ahead of him, why risk it now?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    It would be so stupid for him to try and come back early. He's got a long career ahead of him, why risk it now?
    If he figures he has a chance at a cup, I'm sure he wants to be a part of it. Having said that, I can't imagine any way he's back before next September. They interviewed him during the game last night and he said it will be a while before he's even skating again, let alone skating "for real" (his words) like in a practice.

I could see Murray making some additions to gear up for the playoffs, but I'd be happy just to see them make it and give the kids some experience. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a win for Alfredsson, but I don't want them trading any of their valuable youth for a rental because their chances of making the final and winning it seem pretty remote. Perhaps I'm not giving them enough credit, but given the state of the team it would be foolish to take any serious risks with Karlsson. He's a generational talent, destined to be an icon on the Senators for years.

Silf is starting to heat up, and Zibanejad (who wasn't even supposed to make the team this year) has shown flashes of brilliance. There are so many reasons to be excited. Karlsson needs to stay out until he's 100%....I just hope when he comes back he's the same player.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Banned

well there's really no risk if he did come back early, it would just be his performance that would lack. If the tendon is healed (since he's out of the cast) and he came back early, it would just be that his calf and leg aren't in shape. It wouldn't be at risk to tear or anything like that

but no he won't be rushed back

Dobber Sports Guru

I'm linking below to a story the Vancouver Sun ran back when Karlsson was injured. Bieksa had the same type of injury a few years back, and said it took a while to get back to 100 per cent (but did make it back in just under four months).

"The timeline is four to six months," he said. "I still remember to the day, I came back in three months and 22 days, and when I first got back I was second-guessing myself. I didn't feel comfortable on the ice or in my skates. It took a good year to feel 100 per cent. Luckily, he is not going to be rushed back because he is going to be taking the summer to rehab, but it's a tough injury."

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz2OfdnkVJo

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

Dan Séguin ‏@SeguinSports

Erik Karlsson skates! Less than 2 months after slicing his achilles, Karlsson looked very good in a workout this am with Marc
    Power. #cbcott

Dobber Sports Pro

Awesome. I got him in both my keepers for nothing.
    Last edited by Ross The Boss Palmer; April 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    well there's really no risk if he did come back early, it would just be his performance that would lack. If the tendon is healed (since he's out of the cast) and he came back early, it would just be that his calf and leg aren't in shape. It wouldn't be at risk to tear or anything like that

While the fact he is skating shows the healing is as far as it will go, the issue i have will be a reoccurance of swelling.

We'll definitely it will be a one day at a time thingy.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Interestingly, here in Korea if you suffer this type of injury, dog meat is the food of choice for it's supposed healing powers.
    If I'm the Monopoly Man, I'd be feeding Karlsson a steady dose of Rottweiler.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ace

http://www.cbc.ca/player/ueberproxy.html?ID=2374038106

Video proof he is not human.

I've said before, most pro athletes take 4-6 months to rehab (regular ppl 12 months). Slight difference is this was a clean laceration, versus most ppl who have crappy degenerative tendon that gives out and ruptures.
    Last edited by cdubb; April 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post

Let me clarify this. Ppl often get out of cast or boot and walking at 4-6 weeks ... But at that point while the tendon is healed enough to rehab, it may be at it's weakest point, that's why ppl use heel wedges, work on ROM (active not passive) and delay strengthening exercises, to prevent the tendon from lengthening or stretching.

You get permanent calf weakness if your tendon is repaired too long or stretches out (physics of a weak lever arm)

You can also get rerupture early on as the tendon undergoes remodeling from scar tissue to actual tendon. Rerupture rate is less with surgery, but still exists.

Karlsson was hurt approximately 6-7 weeks ago? (feb 13) so he is still pretty early on.
    Last edited by cdubb; April 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM.
    Semi-retired

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Let me clarify this. Ppl often get out of cast or boot and walking at 4-6 weeks ... But at that point while the tendon is healed enough to rehab, it may be at it's weakest point, that's why ppl use heel wedges, work on ROM (active not passive) and delay strengthening exercises, to prevent the tendon from lengthening or stretching.

You get permanent calf weakness if your tendon is repaired too long or stretches out (physics of a weak lever arm)

You can also get rerupture early on as the tendon undergoes remodeling from scar tissue to actual tendon. Rerupture rate is less with surgery, but still exists.

Karlsson was hurt approximately 6-7 weeks ago? (feb 13) so he is still pretty early on.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Would be stoked to see him and Karlsson return before the playoffs.

Administrator

PEDs, anyone? For the record I wouldn't care if that were the case - no one loses from Karlsson getting back early except maybe the borderline NHLer who gets sent back down.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ck-on-ice.html

this link should bring you to the video of today's skate. Albeit slow, pretty impressive.

Watch it @ 1min, my jaw dropped. That requires some strength for sure. He looks farther ahead then i'd ever imagined. JACKED!!
    Last edited by Call of Doughty; April 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    PEDs, anyone? For the record I wouldn't care if that were the case - no one loses from Karlsson getting back early except maybe the borderline NHLer who gets sent back down.
    lol, saw him in person the other week and he is definitely not on PEDs like Ovechkin is

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd almost prefer he didn't come back this season.. Let that guy heal nicely and come back next season!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot