Thread: No suspension for Nash?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default No suspension for Nash?

Shanahan is certainly losing my respect. Thought he might be the right guy for this job but the Nash hit on Kopecky not getting a suspension with the Rangers clinging to their playoff lives leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. Not the first time I've been left scratching my head either. Not an easy job but a monkey could have made a call for suspension there and there isn't anything that could change my opinion on that at this point. Rant over.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Ace

The Nash thing is nothing ... the Weber trying to smash Zets head like a coconut in the playoffs was the ultimate kicker.

He has nice videos, but still afraid to suspend the big name players. Angus's article about hypocrisy of not suspending Weber/Malkin in the playoffs is good.

http://www.anguscertified.com/hypocr...ts-and-hockey/

I think you just have to lay down the law, make head shots completely illegal, mandatory 5-10 game suspensions, only way players will stop.

For me, the worse thing is boarding. I've seen more than one recreational (!) player paralyzed in the ER after a boarding/crosschecking in hockey. These are young guys or parents with young families, and they are permanently disabled. And it's not like being paralyzed at the waist, it's the neck down. Lucky if they can move their arms to operate a motorized wheelchair instead of the mouth controlled ones.

(another rant most common cause I saw of patients being paralyzed other than auto accidents was Whistler mountain bike park)
    Last edited by cdubb; March 23, 2013 at 4:35 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Star

Yeah I thought that would be a 1 game or something for sure. Very weird. Did they rule it "incidental contact"??
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Veteran

As explained on TSN, the video explanation made three key observations of Nash's hit, noting that Kopecky turned prior to moment of contact, his head was not targeted, and his head was not the principal point of contact.

Whatever. These things are always such a crap shoot.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't understand how that's not at least a game or two. If the NHL wants their players to actually play rather than sit out with concussions, they need to basically start doubling the suspensions. Perry gets four games for his hit on Zucker? Screw it, give him eight. I realize that's a lot of games in a 48-game season, but if you want it out of the game you have to start hitting players where it counts: their wallets. I'm serious about doubling the suspensions though, if not more. What did Torres get for his hit on Hossa? 21 games? Hit him with a 42-game suspension. Kill the season for him, and then maybe he'll think twice about what he's doing on the ice.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Ace

This sums it up pretty well

http://youtu.be/0lHSY_1DqNU
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yeah, I have lost a lot of rspect for Shanahan over the past couple of years. I dont know what the pressure is that leads to these minimal suspensions but it is a joke. The nhl is a disgrace when it comes to policing incidents. There will be a very serious oncident soon enough....its inevitable.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Administrator

The league always talks about what it needs to do (ie the GM meetings this week) but how about we start with enforcing the rules in place consistently rather than picking and choosing to not rock the boat of the dinosaur traditionalists who whine and cry at change? The league has never tried to do that yet.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

The problem is when he does give out long suspensions, GMs and owners complain. Remember last preseason? Shanahan was suspending everybody. But when owners/GMs realize their guys were also getting suspended for the same amount of time, all of a sudden it wasn't a good thing.

Nash is the best player in the biggest market. No way was he getting suspended. If that was Konopka, it'd be a different story.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Nash is the best player in the biggest market. No way was he getting suspended. If that was Konopka, it'd be a different story.
    ...and that is why the nhl will always fall short of the other professional sports...lack of a backbone by the giys that run it. A suspension is a suspension, because its a suspension, not because of the name of the player....
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Administrator

The problem is when he does give out long suspensions, GMs and owners complain. Remember last preseason? Shanahan was suspending everybody. But when owners/GMs realize their guys were also getting suspended for the same amount of time, all of a sudden it wasn't a good thing.
    There lies the problem. It's always someone else's fault.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

That's such a flawed way of thinking though. You get mad because your best player gets suspended for 10 games for doing something stupid and hurting another player. But you also get mad when your best player gets clocked by a goon and is out for 30 games with a concussion. Sit the guys for a significant amount of time when they throw an elbow or something, and they'll start doing it less, I guarantee it.

Somebody with some ****ing balls needs to start handing out the suspensions. I thought Shanny was that guy, but these 1-4 game suspensions are BS.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak