Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kadri is Real or a dream ?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The kid is for real, if you've watched the Leafs play you notice him every game. Not just his magic hands, but really how much he's improved as a player without the puck. I have to give credit to Dallas Eakins, but you also need to recognize how much this kid wants to get better every single game. Since the Leafs have sucked for several years, Kadri was pretty much given expectations that were absolutely ridiculous. People expected him to flourish his first time in the NHL, he didn't. He went down to the AHL, worked on his game and now you're seeing all of his skills come front and centre.

This year, its different for the Leafs. The expectations are low, they have a new GM and several new faces in the lineup. Randy Carlyle has seen all of his players "buy-in" to the system and the results are encouraging. The team doesn't have a whole lot of talent, but they are building the right way. Tyler Bozak is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Sure, he wins faceoffs and plays on the penalty kill but he simply can't match Kadri from an offensive standpoint.

How can he not be for real? If someone tells me this is a fluke, well that's just ignorant. The fact that this kid is producing pretty much in a third line role and top ten in NHL scoring is amazing. He will only get better.
    Last edited by dmvincent; March 25, 2013 at 6:02 AM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Not the top D. Not yet.
    As an example, against Boston on Saturday, Chara was still changing on the fly constantly specifically to match up against Kessel. Kessel is still drawing the top d-men, although Kadri has certainly been playing against better forwards recently.
    Yes, Chara was matched up against Kessel, he always.

But Kadri IS getting lined up against top defenders more than you think.

During the Buffalo game, he was getting paired with Regehr and Myers early in the game and then that shifted to Ehrhoff and Weber.

A game before that Kadri was getting lined up against Hedman and Salo while Kessel was getting Carle and Gudas.

Id have to go back and look at older games, but those two games are fresh in my memory still.

It was that Islanders game where Kadri got the hattrick that was the tipping point. Since that game, teams have been putting their better defenders against the Kadri line more often.

The Great One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKFRygvVCP4

That highlight real goal was scored against Streit and Visnovsky on the ice.

Dobber Sports Padawan

BUMP!

What do you guys feel Kadi's Upside and 3YP are now? Dobs had them at 68/60, which I'm sure he will be re-accessing. I'm feeling something 88/72 kind of close to a Skinner?
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Spec7ral View Post
    BUMP!

What do you guys feel Kadi's Upside and 3YP are now? Dobs had them at 68/60, which I'm sure he will be re-accessing. I'm feeling something 88/72 kind of close to a Skinner?
    right off the bat I want to reiterate that this season is a small sample size and I haven't completely formed an opinion on Kadri. I'd like to see him sustain his pace over a full season(we've already seen him slow down a bit of late)

that said, he certainly has looked very good when I have watched him play. He is full of confidence and is getting loads of opportunity this year.

I'm not quite ready to pronounce Kadri as one of the elite young players in the game (up there with the likes of Eberle, Seguin, Hall, etc.), but he is getting close.

Now, as for Skinner, I used to put him in the same category as Eberle et al, but his concussion issues, coupled with a serious reduction in production afterwards, have made me downgrade him a bit and at this point I would probably take Kadri over Skinner in most leagues.

I'm a bit more conservative with upside, especially for someone like Kadri who hasn't proven anything over the long-term, so I'd put his upside at 70-75 pts (which is a bit more than I would have said a month ago but not quite as high as his current pace).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Padawan

This thread reminds me of all the Micheal Grabner threads in 2010-11 ZOMG he's going to get 70-80 points skys the limit.

I'm glad to see Kadri meet success but he will come back down to earth.

60 point player.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Vancityguy View Post
    This thread reminds me of all the Micheal Grabner threads in 2010-11 ZOMG he's going to get 70-80 points skys the limit.

I'm glad to see Kadri meet success but he will come back down to earth.

60 point player.
    From a hype-perspective perhaps a fair comparison, but I don't see anything from draft position to junior to AHL to NHL #s that would make this a similar situation.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

The Great One

UPDATE: Only 2 pts in his last 8 games.

Again, I'm not completely down on Kadri. My opinion on him has definitely increased this season, but his production over the last 2-3 weeks shows why we have to temper our expectations on young players. They can go on ridiculous hot streaks for 20-30 games sometimes, but before we can be convinced they are legit stars, we need to see if they can sustain that pace long-term.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Guru

Kadri is the cover guy for the Hockey News this week. In the article, Kadri says why he didn't perform well in the AHL. He said he needs top quality line mates to be able to rack up points. He used Lupul as an example.

I'm a Kadri owner, and have faith in him. But knowing that he believes he needs top line mates to make him better instead of vice versa makes me a little nervous for the future.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Pro

who doesnt need quality player on the same line to produce except Crosby ???

Stamkos is producing with St-Louis
    Toews is producing with Keith, Hossa, Kane, Saad
    Tavares has Moulson
    Ovechkin has Backstrom and/or ribeiro
    Kunitz has Crosby
    Getzlaf has Perry and Ryan

etc..

I think it is normal

he would still be on pace for a 65-72 points season.....

nobody tought he was going to be over a 34-40 pts season over 82 games...
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sharpp87 View Post

Tavares has Moulson
    Kunitz has Crosby

etc..

I think it is normal

You make a good point but...Nash produced 40 goals without anyone in Columbus. Gaborik produced the same in minny with no one. Lemieux even....had Brown, Stevens? Could be mistaken but don't think he played with Francis. Pat Lafontaine in NY. Point is...GREAT players produce on their own but of course will produce a little more with help.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Kadri is the cover guy for the Hockey News this week. In the article, Kadri says why he didn't perform well in the AHL. He said he needs top quality line mates to be able to rack up points. He used Lupul as an example.

I'm a Kadri owner, and have faith in him. But knowing that he believes he needs top line mates to make him better instead of vice versa makes me a little nervous for the future.
    What kind of a sorry sap excuse is that? Not what I'd like to be hearing from a young player at all.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sharpp87 View Post

Tavares has Moulson
    Kunitz has Crosby

etc..

I think it is normal

The difference is those guys can produce on their own. Obviously, you put the most talented players together. But Patrick Kane, as an example, plays the most with Troy Brouwer. As ddp mentioned, top players don't need top linemates to get it done. Stamkos would still be a top player without St. Louis. So would Tavares. etc. etc.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ace

I think he's being taken out of context a bit on this one. I'm guessing he meant to produce at a higher level, he needs more talent, rather than to just produce, on his own.

I still agree that the jury still needs to be out on him. He may be a star in waiting (he has skills), but the more hits he takes, the more shifts he gets (especially less sheltered) may take a toll on him, and I think his numbers will reflect that.
    If I was a Leafs fan or still a Kadri owner, I wouldn't be psyched about this comment. I would want him to be saying that his numbers were a product of hard work etc and he knows he still needs to find consistency and is excited at working on developing further.

My gut tells me he'll be somewhere in the middle. He won't be a stud 1st line type guy, nor will he be a bust. I'm thinking a decent 2nd-3rd line guy 50 pts or so, and a good chunk of those as PPP.

Dobber Sports Stud

Who said Kadri didn't perform well in the AHL?!? He was a PPG player...what did people want from him? More to the point; what did he expect from himself?

His production in the AHL is completely in line with what should be expected of him in the NHL 60-70 points per season. More than that is gravy....less is dissapointing.