Thread: Columbus in the playoff hunt?!

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Columbus in the playoff hunt?!

No one has started anything on this but WOW Blue Jackets are making a push at the right time. 7-0-3 in there past 10 games.

Who would have thought? Not this kid.

Nice to see them make a run.
    Member of OCHA

Dobber Sports Ninja

EVERYBODY is in the playoff hunt this year lol.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    EVERYBODY is in the playoff hunt this year lol.
    That's very true but the Jackets are definitely rolling right now.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

So what you're saying is that Nash was the problem the whole time?!

Quote Originally Posted by Khanadian View Post
    just look at what he's doing to new york, haha.
    Keeper league. 13 teams, Start 9F, 4D and 2G plus 10 BN keep 15. Max 4 goalies on team
    Scoring cats:Goal (25), Assist (25), PPP (10), SHG (20) +/- (10), PIM (3) SOG (2) GWG (20) Win (50), GA (-15) SV (2) SO (50)
    Forwards: Point, Jarvis, Beniers, Thomas, Guenther, Raymond, Caufield, Boldy, Schmaltz, Krebs, Tolvanen, Newhook, N. Robertson, Teravainen
    Defensmen: Chychrun, Perunovich, Clarke, Lundkvist, Slavvin, Walman, Liljegren
    Goalies: Hellebuyck, Gustavsson, Knight, Korpisalo

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Khanadian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by C.R. View Post
    just look at what he's doing to new york, haha.
    Jackets are 2 points behind NYR....although NY has a game in hand.

Anybody have that in their fearless predictions??

Administrator

This is what depth can do for you. Get a bunch of professionals on one team with a collective goal and they'll be tough to beat night in night out. They may not have any true stars and that will catch up to them eventually be it falling short of a playoff spot or an early exit but as we've seen time and time again a group of hard-nosed veterans can get it done with some good coaching.

Dubinsky and Co. brought their lunch pails over from New York and the Rangers have been missing it. I loved and still do love what the Jackets got in return for Nash. They got dinged up pretty bad with the whole Carter exchange but they wound up with Jack Johnson who is certainly a flawed player but he's a vet and he's tough to play against. The Foligno pickup was solid too.

BUT, before we start sucking their dicks too hard let's consider they were in the cellar not too long ago and it wasn't until they got healthy that they started to put together this streak. A couple of injuries and this thing goes POOF!

Also worth noting the Jackets' home vs. away record. They are 9-4-5 at home and just 3-8-1 on the road. Games remaining: six home, 12 away.

You tell me if the Jackets are really in playoff contention. Me thinks no.

Some other home/away splits to consider in the West:

Phoenix has eight left at home where they are 10-5-1 and 10 left on the road where they are 3-8-3. Currently in a tie with San Jose and Columbus for 8th with 30 points.

Detroit has eight left at home where they are 9-4-3 but 11 left on the road where they are 5-6-2. Currently in seventh with 33 points.

Nashville has 12 left at home where they are 6-2-4 and just six left on the road where they are 5-11-2. Currently tied for 12th with 28 points.

Edmonton has 12 left at home where they are 5-4-3 and eight left on the road where they are 6-7-3. Currently tied for 12th with 28 points.

The sample size on this stuff is going to be small enough to allow for aberrations but in general I'd say it's favourable to be playing the stretch run at home so Edmonton and Nashville are solid "buys" right now at just two points out of the playoffs. The only issue is the Oilers kind of stink at home as much as on the road so there home-coming may not be so fruitful.

Anything can happen but these home/away splits are intriguing me right now.
    Last edited by metaldude26; March 20, 2013 at 3:00 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Immortal

That whole post above is why that guy is one of my favorites on the site

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think Columbus' amazing streak started about the same time Wisniewski got injured. Something to think about...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

[QUOTE=metaldude26;1111711]
    BUT, before we start sucking their dicks too hard let's consider they were in the cellar not too long ago and it wasn't until they got healthy that they started to put together this streak. A couple of injuries and this thing goes POOF!
    QUOTE]

You make a good point, if you suck dick too hard it will go poof right in your face...

As referenced above, 12 of the last 17 games are on the road for the Jackets. Not impossible for them to make it but unlikely. Unless Bobo goes the last 17 games with a 1.49 GAA, I say the BJ's miss the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Its because they don't have Mason as their #1 anymore. Bob has been insane. I'm so glad that the Flyers signed Bryz and traded Richards and Carter to make room.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis