Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best strategy for deciding keepers?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Best strategy for deciding keepers?

So here's my dilemma. I have a good glut of forwards. The first seven keepers are easy: Malkin, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Hall, Kunitz, St. Louis and Purcell.

So for my last keeper spot, I have a choice really between E. Kane and Kadri (and to a lesser extent, Pavelski and Brunner).

Normally, I would keep Kane. However, most GMs won't give me much for Kadri in a deal, so I'm going to lose him for nothing pretty much. But I've gotten a lot of interest in Kane.

Is it smarter to hold on to the better keeper (Kane) and lose Kadri for nothing, or trade Kane for picks/defence upgrade and keep Kadri?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

only you know your league well enough but here is something to keep in mind

depending on where you are going to pick and what the gms in your league picking ahead of you tend to do there is always the chance that you get kadri back if you let him go

i might make the move depending on the defense upgrade however there is always the chance that if you want both kadri and kane next season you can pull that off but we dont know your league so we cant answer that for you

there have been plenty of times where i have been torn between two players and let the guy who was a 'lesser' player go back into the draft and then getting him back with little to no trouble at all

dont forget you arent the only one making these decisions so other teams are cutting players they want to keep as well and are liable to target those players ahead of your guy anyway

but again this is one of those things you learn in a league it isnt something someone else can help you with

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks Lucifer. One of the problems is I have a second round pick, and don't choose again until the fourth. So Kadri will probably be gone by then.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Wizard

gone by the second or gone by the fourth

Dobber Sports Guru

Gone by the fourth for sure. Maybe by the second.

Dobber Sports Wizard

well if you are hoping to wait on him until the 4th then i wonder at his actual value to even you as a keeper

as for maybe by the 2nd thats tough as i said only you can answer that question

like i said a lot would depend on the actual upgrad you end up with

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    So here's my dilemma. I have a good glut of forwards. The first seven keepers are easy: Malkin, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Hall, Kunitz, St. Louis and Purcell.

So for my last keeper spot, I have a choice really between E. Kane and Kadri (and to a lesser extent, Pavelski and Brunner).

Normally, I would keep Kane. However, most GMs won't give me much for Kadri in a deal, so I'm going to lose him for nothing pretty much. But I've gotten a lot of interest in Kane.

Is it smarter to hold on to the better keeper (Kane) and lose Kadri for nothing, or trade Kane for picks/defence upgrade and keep Kadri?
    Why is Purcell an easy choice? I'd take BOTH Kane and Kadri over him and leave it at that..

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tstinger View Post
    Why is Purcell an easy choice? I'd take BOTH Kane and Kadri over him and leave it at that..
    I think Purcell can be a consistent 65-to-70-point guy, and is already there. I don't known if Kadri can keep up his current pace, and Kane hasn't hit that mark yet. If I want to win next year, Purcell is a better choice right now.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd try to sell high on Kunitz and keep Kane instead. I don't think this kind of production can be expected in the future, and he will regress to something closer to what we've seen the past few years.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    I'd try to sell high on Kunitz and keep Kane instead. I don't think this kind of production can be expected in the future, and he will regress to something closer to what we've seen the past few years.
    I'm in first right now, and points transfer over in trades. So I need to hold onto Kunitz until the end of the season at least. And I think I have a good enough team to win again next year, so 60-70 points from him is all I need.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm in first right now, and points transfer over in trades. So I need to hold onto Kunitz until the end of the season at least. And I think I have a good enough team to win again next year, so 60-70 points from him is all I need.
    Oh, ok. That definitely changes things. I think somewhere in the 60 pt range is what you can expect next year.

I'd keep the better keeper, and I think that's Kane by a good bit. I'd keep him over Purcell too.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think Purcell can be a consistent 65-to-70-point guy, and is already there. I don't known if Kadri can keep up his current pace, and Kane hasn't hit that mark yet. If I want to win next year, Purcell is a better choice right now.
    Gonna agree to disagree majorly on this one. Time will tell I suppose.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did decide to deal Kane. I ended up trading him and two late picks for a second round this year and a second round next year. Second round picks in our last draft were Hartnell, Hamilton, Voynov, Schwartz, etc., so there's some pretty good talent available there.

So with the move, I can protect Kadri instead, and get a couple of good players in the draft. Or, if need be, trade those picks for help this year to hold on to my lead if second place makes a charge (guys are already thinking of dropping players in the offseason, so the market for picks is higher than the market for players right now).

Thanks again all.

Dobber Sports Wizard

you sold kane way too low imo

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    you sold kane way too low imo
    I sure don't agree with that assessment but I sure like your earlier posts in the thread.

Coming on the trade deadline in a points only league, I think he cashed nicely. Basically he got Kadri and 2 pretty sweet picks for 2013 and 1 for 2014. In limited keepers those picks are very important for stoking the depth you need to keep winning. Yeah in other leagues it probably isn't such a good deal for Kane but in this case, I quite like the move.