Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: [Resigning] Perry signed for eight years

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yes, thank you. Gomez and Redden are others. Same with Pronger.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    I agree with this as well. Look at someone like Tom Brady for the Pats. He restructured his contract so that they could go after more free agents to make his team better. He's already making a shit load of money (10 mill a year) but he is underpaid as an elite QB. AT some point you have to ask how much is enough? Perry might get all that he can now, but that still doesn't mean it's a good signing.

Find me another contract longer than maybe 6 years that has worked out well.

OV
    Dipietro
    Briere
    Drury
    Luongo
    Mike Richards
    Doughty
    Yashin
    Lecavalier
    Backstrom
    Richards (already heading that way)
    Parise (not good already)

I'd have to do more research to find out more but these are all off the top of my head. These long term contracts are awful. They are guaranteed and there is no more incentive for a player to do well. I hate them.

Wow...never seen "THE LIST" before in print like this. Add in Gomez and Redden...

Really an eye opener!

I would like to see the flip side list though.
    Crosby
    Getz (too soon to say it's bad)
    Perry (as above)
    Weber (as above)

etc....

When you really lay these lists parallel, it would be interesting to see which side wins?

(P.S. is Luongo's contract truly bad for the Canucks? or is it the Schneider factor that is making it bad. I mean, it's not like Luongo has been a bum for the past 2 or 3 years... If he's the only guy in Vancouver, where he signed the contract, maybe it's not "SO BAD". Schneider's presence creates the desire to move Luo...and that's when the contract becomes bad...bad to move that is.

While Lou hasn't yet done it in the playoffs...he has back stopped the Canucks to 2 president's trophys and deep into the playoffs.

I guess what I"m saying, is that Luongo is earning his contract right now (when he is given the chance to play). Can't say the same for Dipietro, Yashin, Drury, Redden...)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Jeff Carter Clause.....LOVE IT!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Wow...never seen "THE LIST" before in print like this. Add in Gomez and Redden...

Really an eye opener!

I would like to see the flip side list though.
    Crosby
    Getz (too soon to say it's bad)
    Perry (as above)
    Weber (as above)

etc....

When you really lay these lists parallel, it would be interesting to see which side wins?

(P.S. is Luongo's contract truly bad for the Canucks? or is it the Schneider factor that is making it bad. I mean, it's not like Luongo has been a bum for the past 2 or 3 years... If he's the only guy in Vancouver, where he signed the contract, maybe it's not "SO BAD". Schneider's presence creates the desire to move Luo...and that's when the contract becomes bad...bad to move that is.

While Lou hasn't yet done it in the playoffs...he has back stopped the Canucks to 2 president's trophys and deep into the playoffs.

I guess what I"m saying, is that Luongo is earning his contract right now (when he is given the chance to play). Can't say the same for Dipietro, Yashin, Drury, Redden...)
    It's not that Luongo's dollar amount and cap hit are a problem. It's the length. This is one of the reasons why he is not easy to trade. I don't know how much longer he has exactly, but it is something like another 8 years. That's a lot of money committed to one guy for that length.

The point is signing someone that long rarely works out. Even the Carter signing is ridiculous. He won a cup sure, but is he really a 7 million dollar player?
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    It's not that Luongo's dollar amount and cap hit are a problem. It's the length. This is one of the reasons why he is not easy to trade. I don't know how much longer he has exactly, but it is something like another 8 years. That's a lot of money committed to one guy for that length.

The point is signing someone that long rarely works out. Even the Carter signing is ridiculous. He won a cup sure, but is he really a 7 million dollar player?
    I get that Baumer, BUT...If Luongo had no competition for the #1 spot and continued to be productive, is the length truly a problem? I agree that it's a problem to move, but if MOVING was not the option...does this not go down to locking up a superstar for the remainder of his career. (Seeing how Roy / Brodeur, Belfour went out...no reason to think that Lou can't be as productive as them up to 40).

Would you consider Crosby's contract as being Ill advised as well?

I think it all depends on the situation. If it weren't for Schneider, vancouver wouldn't dream of moving Luongo right now...and therefore, happy to have him locked down for the next 9 seasons. But enter the need to make a move...then the ugliness of the contract bubbles to the surface.

no?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I think it all depends on the situation. If it weren't for Schneider, vancouver wouldn't dream of moving Luongo right now...and therefore, happy to have him locked down for the next 9 seasons. But enter the need to make a move...then the ugliness of the contract bubbles to the surface.

no?
    I would agree, it all depends on the situation. With those President cups mounting, and Luongo putting up great numbers, why not lock him up? He's fragile guy and does better with security. The problem became when he started faltering in the playoffs and the backup showed how brilliant he can be. Management changed their philosophy and when that happens, the contract seems stupid. When management is committed to a player, like how Pittsburgh is with Crosby, no long term deal is ridiuclous. Vancouver management messed that one up and now are facing the consequence. Nobody wants that contract - and why would anybody else want it when you don't want it yourself?