Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Resigning] Perry signed for eight years

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    i am not saying they should refuse anything i am saying that they are helping to dig their own graves because they refuse to look past tomorrow and you know what maybe that isnt their responsibility maybe they shouldnt worry about what comes later and just get theirs but they are taking a very short sighted approach to all of this

it doesnt take too long to figure out exactly where the owners will focus on the next cba once these deals start coming out
    Corey Perry is helping to dig his own $69M grave, I guess. Poor guy.

I think your underlying point is that the players should bargain for a CBA that is financially viable/beneficial to the owners while still allowing the players to maximize salaries. And I would counter that by saying even if the owners make a shit ton of money (like they did since the previous lockout) they will lie and deceive and manipulate to make it seem like they got a raw deal, and they need huge changes (like what happened in this year's lockout).

But we should never scold individual players/owners for playing within the rules that are given to them. Every party should maximize their own personal benefit within the current rules. This is how the world works.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I'm happy he's staying in Anaheim. He and Getzlaf belong together, and they both belong in Ducks uniforms.
    I'll second this. It's beyond me why people were hoping Perry would move. Maybe they thought he would turn into Malkin if he left Anaheim.

I'd say that the status quo is about as good as you could hope for with him. Seems to me that with him moving elsewhere it was much more likely that he would regress somewhat.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    Since the average hockey career lasts about 4 seasons (from my recollection) I dont begrudge these guys trying to get as much money as they can while they can.
    i dont begrudge anyone anything either but i dont want to hear any crying next time out when the owners come after guaranteed contracts

you cant be complicit in breaking something and then cry when it needs to be fixed that you are somehow now being unfairly targeted

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Skin Blues View Post
    But we should never scold individual players/owners for playing within the rules that are given to them.
    see i completely disagree with this

when they shut down the league for the amount of time they shut it down for every couple of years we absolutely should scold them when they are the ones causing the issues that create the shut down

is it in the rules sure it is but to act like we should applaud them for that when we know that another train wreck is on the way is ill conceived imo

the players and owners were playing within the rules in the years leading up to the last two lockouts and it sure didnt make things any better for the fan from my recollection

as a fan i am pissed that they are yet again before this cba has even been completely drawn up finding a way to lose most of another nhl season

others may be ok with this dysfunction but i am not i refuse to leave the league so i will certainly voice my concerns regardless of if they have any effect on anything or not

Dobber Sports Guru

i dont begrudge anyone anything either but i dont want to hear any crying next time out when the owners come after guaranteed contracts

you cant be complicit in breaking something and then cry when it needs to be fixed that you are somehow now being unfairly targeted
    Thing is the players werent crying about fixing anything, I think they liked it just fine how it was before with them getting 57% and the cap rising. The players cry, and rightfully so in my opinion, when the owners ask the players to accept a certain set of parameters in a cba (and lock the players out to achieve it) and then turn around and aren't happy when their fellow owners' stupidity ruins what they tried to achieve.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Seriously. It is not possible that players/owners will police themselves and ignore their own best interests. Nor should it be.

Any CBA (or any set of rules/agreement) that necessitates both sides to act outside of their own best interests in order for it to work is flawed, and should be the target of any blame you want to lay. Not the people acting within their own best interests inside of the parameters they were given to work with.

EDIT: In this case the same people making the rules are the ones that are playing within them. If you want to blame Getz and Perry for agreeing to a bad CBA, that's kinda valid. (although with hundreds of members, each player has very little say - blame Fehr, I guess). But don't go after them for getting the most money they could after the agreement is signed.
    Last edited by Skin Blues; March 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thing is the players werent crying about fixing anything, I think they liked it just fine how it was before with them getting 57% and the cap rising. The players cry, and rightfully so in my opinion, when the owners ask the players to accept a certain set of parameters in a cba (and lock the players out to achieve it) and then turn around and aren't happy when their fellow owners' stupidity ruins what they tried to achieve.
    no what they were crying about was the changes that the owners were trying to force down their throats while they were complicit in blowing up the system to the point that changes 'needed' to be made

i dont agree that the owners should be crying about a system that doesnt work when they are the ones trying to game it either but at the end of the day they hold the hammer and will force what they want

i am sick of both sides crying when their lack of restraint is the cause of my misery i.e. missing huge chunks of seasons

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Skin Blues View Post
    Don't hate the player, hate the game. Seriously. It is not possible that players/owners will police themselves and ignore their own best interests. Nor should it be.

Any CBA (or any set of rules/agreement) that necessitates both sides to act outside of their own best interests in order for it to work is flawed, and should be the target of any blame you want to lay. Not the people acting within their own best interests inside of the parameters they were given to work with.

EDIT: In this case the same people making the rules are the ones that are playing within them. If you want to blame Getz and Perry for agreeing to a bad CBA, that's kinda valid. (although with hundreds of members, each player has very little say - blame Fehr, I guess). But don't go after them for getting the most money they could after the agreement is signed.
    i can go after them if i want to because it is the shortsightedness on both sides that continues to take the game i love away from me for large chunks of time for what amounts to stupid reasons

neither of these sides suffer because of these stupid decisions it is the fan that suffers and as a fan i absolutely have a right to complain about it

Administrator

The owners hold all the cards when it comes to collective bargaining but when it comes time to sign contracts its the players/agents who flip the leverage in their favour. It would basically take collusion from all the owners to really keep player salaries in check.

The reality is that all the reduction of the cap really serves to do is take jobs and mid-level salaries away from the mediocre veterans and further emphasizes the need to have effective young players on affordable rookie deals and bridge contracts.

The funny thing about how huge these contracts for Getzlaf and Perry are is that someone probably would have given them more this summer.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Guru

hahaha this is amazing

Chris Nichols ‏@Nichols_NHLPool
    Selanne on Perry/Getzlaf contracts: “If they can play 8 more years, then I can too. I’m in better shape than they are.”

Dobber Sports Wizard

hahaha this is amazing

Selanne on Perry/Getzlaf contracts: “If they can play 8 more years, then I can too. I’m in better shape than they are.”
    that is awesome

Administrator

hahaha this is amazing

Teemu for the win!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    This ain't Sidney Crosby money. Crosby makes over $80 million for his first 8 years. Can't compare cap hits as the contracts were signed under different CBA and Crosby took the extra years to bring his cap hit down.

Perry is very much an elite offensive talent and has been one of the leagues top goal scorers in the past five years and top-15 in points also. Hart Trophy, Rocket Richard, Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold Medal. Proven winner at every level. You can't get any more elite than that unless you're Crosby or Malkin.

Great signing for Perry, for Anaheim and for my salary cap team (had feared for 10+ million cap hit if he hit free agency).
    Perry is not an elite offensive talent. Sorry, potential doesn't cut it. Hart, Richard blah blah blah. That is one year. He has slowed down immensely since that one year and he didn't come close to hitting those numbers in years past. You can't be dazzled by one year.

Just because are willing to pay that amount for a 65 point player, doesn't mean they should.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Veteran

see i completely disagree with this

when they shut down the league for the amount of time they shut it down for every couple of years we absolutely should scold them when they are the ones causing the issues that create the shut down

is it in the rules sure it is but to act like we should applaud them for that when we know that another train wreck is on the way is ill conceived imo

the players and owners were playing within the rules in the years leading up to the last two lockouts and it sure didnt make things any better for the fan from my recollection

as a fan i am pissed that they are yet again before this cba has even been completely drawn up finding a way to lose most of another nhl season

others may be ok with this dysfunction but i am not i refuse to leave the league so i will certainly voice my concerns regardless of if they have any effect on anything or not
    I agree with this as well. Look at someone like Tom Brady for the Pats. He restructured his contract so that they could go after more free agents to make his team better. He's already making a shit load of money (10 mill a year) but he is underpaid as an elite QB. AT some point you have to ask how much is enough? Perry might get all that he can now, but that still doesn't mean it's a good signing.

Find me another contract longer than maybe 6 years that has worked out well.

OV
    Dipietro
    Briere
    Drury
    Luongo
    Mike Richards
    Doughty
    Yashin
    Lecavalier
    Backstrom
    Richards (already heading that way)
    Parise (not good already)

I'd have to do more research to find out more but these are all off the top of my head. These long term contracts are awful. They are guaranteed and there is no more incentive for a player to do well. I hate them.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    I agree with this as well. Look at someone like Tom Brady for the Pats. He restructured his contract so that they could go after more free agents to make his team better. He's already making a shit load of money (10 mill a year) but he is underpaid as an elite QB. AT some point you have to ask how much is enough? Perry might get all that he can now, but that still doesn't mean it's a good signing.

Find me another contract longer than maybe 6 years that has worked out well.

OV
    Dipietro
    Briere
    Drury
    Luongo
    Mike Richards
    Doughty
    Yashin
    Lecavalier
    Backstrom
    Richards (already heading that way)
    Parise (not good already)

I'd have to do more research to find out more but these are all off the top of my head. These long term contracts are awful. They are guaranteed and there is no more incentive for a player to do well. I hate them.
    Gomez was excellent for the entire length of his 7-year contract!!