Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A personal hero among us

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default A personal hero among us

Some of you know that I do a lot of aid work in Cambodia and on a recent trip, one of our very own, cdubb, who I play in a keeper league with, volunteered to spend a day with me consulting to one such project which is the core of the Cambodian Diabetes Association at the moment. He was there on holiday with his lovely wife. The clinic is under-developed and under-funded but doing critical work in saving lives and saving limbs in not very good conditions. Calvin who carves up feet and ankles for a living (as a surgeon, not a butcher) kindly took the time to suggest a protocol for the treatment of diabetic foot. Now that was significant enough, in that it immediately resulted in the successful treatment of two patients out in the jungle who likely would not have received it, if the awareness hadn't been created - so chalk up two amputations avoided.

But here's the best part - the bigger impact of his visit was that a paradigm shifted and an awareness that outside resources, such as he, could really help the cause and the ball started rolling very quickly to the point where yesterday the clinic got a massive commitment for equipment and financial resources from a Korean University and it's teaching hospitals. I am absolutely convinced that doesn't happen if Calvin didn't take that day out of his vacation to help. Serendipity, provenance? Who knows but it took a conscious decision to help to open the flood gates.

You're my hero, bud. Six hours of your time to impact the quality of what in the end will be thousands of lives.
    Last edited by Shoeless; March 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Dobber Sports Deity

Standing O coming from this guy for you both.

You should both be very proud.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Standing O coming from this guy for you both.

You should both be very proud.
    Absolutely. Thanks for sharing, Shoeless. We all get caught up in this fantasy stuff but when something truly inspiring like this comes along, it really shows what great people we have in this community, in real life. Truly great work.

Dobber Sports Ninja

That's awesome, something to be very proud of for the both of you!

Dobber Sports Genius

Wow, amazing story! Kudos to you both for the wonderful work you've done and are doing.
    Thanks for sharing, Shoeless!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Absolutely. Thanks for sharing, Shoeless. We all get caught up in this fantasy stuff but when something truly inspiring like this comes along, it really shows what great people we have in this community, in real life. Truly great work.
    Yeah we do have that - and while I am in the business of handing out kudos - Mr. McGoo gets a nod for quietly cutting a cheque for our micro-credit operation in Cambodia that is also having an incredible impact on facilitating big change in the lives of some very poor families. Does anyone use his sweet NHL schedule tool? I do - https://dobberhockey.com/public/NHLScheduleTool.aspx

No wonder I like hanging around here - goods folks!!

I...am your father.

Oh wow, what a great story. Thanks for sharing Shoeless. cdubb - full respect and thanks
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

See, I knew there was good news out there...somewhere. Props to you both!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Guru

This whole post is full of awesomeness. Great job by everyone involved.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

Great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. Both of you are awesome.

Dobber Sports Pro

So THAT's why he has always been your avatar? No biggie

Simply awesome.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Genius

Trully a huge "SMOOTHMOVE"!
    We can all be heros every day just by taking a moment to
    let a car puul out of a parking lot , may save a bad accident.
    Donate blood , it saves lives!
    Be a big brother/sister
    Help coach a sport.
    Give a donation , food , clothes , $ , etc.
    Not trying to take away from the huge impact made by cdubb ,
    Just trying to show we can all be "heros" , big or small , if we choose to!
    POOL ON!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    Trully a huge "SMOOTHMOVE"!
    We can all be heros every day just by taking a moment to
    let a car puul out of a parking lot , may save a bad accident.
    Donate blood , it saves lives!
    Be a big brother/sister
    Help coach a sport.
    Give a donation , food , clothes , $ , etc.
    Not trying to take away from the huge impact made by cdubb ,
    Just trying to show we can all be "heros" , big or small , if we choose to!
    POOL ON!
    That's right smoothfun - ordinary people, doing ordinary things to the positive = hero in our world. It's a choice.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Calvin and Rick, you are great people and it shows. Fantastic stuff! Thanks for sharing.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Stud

A great touchstone for my day, reminding me not only to continue working to make people's lives better despite obstacles (which don't seem so big in light of these examples), both at work and in daily interactions. Importantly, this example and the comments following is also a reminder that there is great value in not only taking actions that help people (it's one facet of my and many others' work lives), but also to do so happily. The reflections and comments here attest that sharing the story of good works is a small bit of heroism in itself, as it inspires many others to take heart and take action.

Despite grumbling this morning at the financial and political travesties that have impeded my work, I am smiling now and encouraged by all around me.

Thanks, cdubb, thanks Shoeless, and thanks all.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones