Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brent Burns

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Brent Burns

Still playing forward? 2 assists tonight:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Didnt watch the game but judging from his ice-time, yes still playing forward.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Added him Friday night and he seems to be paying off so far. Hope they leave him there.

Dobber Sports Legend

I HATE these situations as they relate to fantasy. In my main league we go by ACTUAL position play and not LISTINGS. The team with Burns had him as a defenseman and now loses him in a D slot even though he gains him at F. As commish it's a pain in the but to deal with - if the Sharks move him back to D then he becomes D in my league again, etc.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Initiate

Just to be clear, I really really doubt this will last. Burns is used to kick-start Sharks lame offensive and at the same time getting him up to game-speed without being a defensive liability.

Side note Mclellan was actually the coach that moved him from forward to d years ago.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I HATE these situations as they relate to fantasy. In my main league we go by ACTUAL position play and not LISTINGS. The team with Burns had him as a defenseman and now loses him in a D slot even though he gains him at F. As commish it's a pain in the but to deal with - if the Sharks move him back to D then he becomes D in my league again, etc.
    Well you could always just set positions at the start of the year and then not have them change. Seems like a simple solution. Can't imagine why anybody would want to constantly update positions all year long.

Also, they've said that he's playing D on the power play. Or at least, playing the point, which is not always a defenseman, but they have said they're using him as both D and F since he returned. So maybe just leave it as-is.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Skin Blues View Post
    Well you could always just set positions at the start of the year and then not have them change. Seems like a simple solution. Can't imagine why anybody would want to constantly update positions all year long.

Also, they've said that he's playing D on the power play. Or at least, playing the point, which is not always a defenseman, but they have said they're using him as both D and F since he returned. So maybe just leave it as-is.
    In my league D points are pretty much worth 2x F numbers. Hence, when a D gets bumped up to F it gives them an artificial boost that knocks the scoring out of whack. In my league we have the "Byfuglien Rule" that states if a D gets moved to F they also get moved in our league. It just sucks if you own one of these guys under the hopes (and expectations) of them producing as D.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    In my league D points are pretty much worth 2x F numbers. Hence, when a D gets bumped up to F it gives them an artificial boost that knocks the scoring out of whack. In my league we have the "Byfuglien Rule" that states if a D gets moved to F they also get moved in our league. It just sucks if you own one of these guys under the hopes (and expectations) of them producing as D.
    as commish in my league, i am dealing with the same thing. D points are just about 2x that of forwards. i recall a year or so ago (before I was commish) we actual made Byfuglien un-draftable just to avoid this. for now we are playing Burns as a forward. his owner gets to essentially play 5 wingers but only 3 dmen when he ices Burns.

look on the bright side, at least Burns is finding the score sheet for his owners now...
    10 team, H2H Points, Limited Keeper (1C,2W,2D,1G,1 non G)

18 man roster plus 2 IR spots [20 total]
    start 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G; daily lineup changes

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots
    Goalies Stats: W,Saves,Goals Against,SO

C: Tavares, Koivu, Backstrom, Johansen
    W: Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Komarov, Forsberg, Jenner
    D: Hedman, Ekblad, Niskanen, Yandle, Campbell
    G: Holtby, Schneider, Hammond
    IR: Anderson, Faulk

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If History is any proof if things to come...Burns will be knocked off the wing due to injury...Before he's able to be returned to D. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Still rolling

12 H2H Dynasty:
    S: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits
    G: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    LW: Robertson, Debrincat, Gaudreau
    C: Matthews, Point, Kuznetsov
    RW: Kyrou, Toffoli, Rakell
    D: Chychurn, Krug, Gavrikov, Giordano, Liljegren
    W/FWD/Skt: JT Miller, Nelson, Farabee
    G: Bobrovsky, Swayman
    Bench: Horvat, Dach, Greenway, R. Smith, Stutzle, Kunin, Skjei, E. Johnson
    Farm: Johnston, Raty, Maccelli, Lysell, Quinn, Sandin, Brannstrom, Dostal, Forsberg, Gustavsson, Thompson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Mmhmm...

I have to remind myself to go after this guy in my keeper leagues.
    As a forward, he's a 55 or 60pt guy.

But if he maintains his D eligibility... well, a 55pt or 60pt player in a D-slot is essentially the 2nd most valuable fantasy defenseman in the NHL!!!

That's some serious value.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Does anyone know if he'll go back to Forward today? I picked him up just before his last game and found out he was moved back to D
    6 Team Yahoo Points-Only Keeper League
    G = 1 pt and A = 1pt, W = 1pt and SO = 3pts
    Keep 4 (any position)
    Start 3 C, 4 W, 4 D, 1 G (starters in bold)
    Bench 6
    C: Backstrom, Kopitar, Duchene, B. Richards
    W: Malkin, Seguin, St. Louis, Hossa, Gaborik, Semin, Parenteau
    D: Byfuglien, Yandle, Campbell, Burns, Wisniewski, Visnovsky
    G: Halak, Lundqvist

Dobber Sports Ace

Fantrax Rotowire note

(4/1/13) Brent Burns may return to the wing on Monday when the Sharks take on the Canucks. Burns had 10 points in nine games as a forward before moving back to the blueline Saturday when Jason Demers sat out due to injury. But the Sharks recalled defenseman Matt Tennyson and he could replace Demers, allowing the offensively potent Burns to go back up front. While coach Todd McLellan liked the play of Burns as a defenseman on Saturday, he loves the extra offense that Burns gives them as a forward. "We'll look at the lines that Vancouver used last night and see how we want to match up against them. The thing with Brent up front is you've always got him to move to the back end," McLellan said on Sunday. "You basically dress seven a night, but he's a very effective forward. That's a great luxury to have."
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Veteran

I know it is hard to argue with production but when I hear Burns at forward flags go up for me.

The Sharks signed him to a pretty big deal as a defenceman and know they don't even want him to play there? I thought the contract they gave him pretty much said 'you are the heir to Dan Boyle's spot.' Again, great to get the points at wing, but defence is probably the hardest position to play so if he was halfway decent as a defencemen you would think he would default to there.

Anyways, as an owner, I just get a bit worried that this is a bad sign.

Dobber Sports Initiate

the sharks have defensive depth, and his contract is not ridiculous for a first line winger with this production rate imo.

I'm fully enjoying this waiver pickup, though I do not think hes close to a bubble for keepers
    L1: 14T keep 10 H2H 12F/6D/2G/3B
    P Cats: g/a/+/-/pim/sog/bs/stp/hits
    G Cats: w/sv/so/gaa/sv%

F: tarasenko,yamamoto,p kane,backstrom, zuccarello,gourde,lafreniere,w karlsson,iafallo,bunting,khaira,brown,pageau,vorac ek, palat,verhaeghe
    D: klingberg,theodore,gudas,burns
    G: varlomov,talbot,shesterkin
    IR: radulov,pettersson

L2: 10T keep 10 H2H
    P Cats: g/a/+/-/pim/sog/bs/stp/hits
    G Cats: w/sv/so/gaa/sv%

F: w. karlsson,mcdavid,kreider,nylander,hoffman,giroux,d ebrincat,reinhart,hintz,verhaeghe,tuch,iafallo,tol vanen,robertson
    D: klingberg,trouba,yandle,faulk,letang
    G: shesterkin,sorokin,lankinen,lehner
    IR: seguin,petterson,fleury