Thread: New car anxiety?

Dobber Sports Star

Default New car anxiety?

So, I thought I would post a vent (whine?) of something that I have discovered about myself that I had no idea existed.

About a month ago, I had some mechanical problems with car, and I went back and forth trying to decide what to do. Fix my car, buy a used car, or buy a new car. In the end, I decided to treat myself and buy a new car; I have never owned a "brand new" car before. I am not a rich man, but I could afford it.

So... This is the new car.

It's a brand new 2013 Dodge Charger. It had 25 Kms on it when I bought it a month ago, and it has about 3k now. I have never been somebody who spends a lot of time in his car, but 3k in a month is a lot for me. I have washed it 3-4 times a week, which is about 3-4 times a week more than I washed my old car :-) I love this car.

Here is where the problems have started. A couple of weeks ago, I had problems with the audio system (it has the Beats by Dre audio system). I took it back to the dealership, and they did fix it, but while it wasn't working properly, it bothered me to an EXTREME level. Since then, I have had a few fairly minor things happen. I noticed a fairly small scratch in the paint on the rear passenger door while I was washing it a couple weeks ago. Last week, I turned on the windshield wipers, and as it turns out, there was a small rock stuck on the driver-side wiper, and it dragged a scratch across the entire windshield. I took it into an auto-glass repair shop and it can't be repaired, the windshield has to be replaced. Today, I was backing out of a parking stall at the bank and I backed into a small pole that I didn't know was there because it was only 2-3 feet tall. I don't think it damaged the panel, but it did scratch the paint in a few places.

So, what I have discovered about myself, is that I go CRAZY when things go wrong with my new car. It's to what I would call an absurd level. While I CAN afford a new car, I really can't afford to spend $500 a month on fixing every minor thing that goes wrong with it. The thought of NOT fixing these things also really bothers me. The stress of owning this new car is almost eating me up. If things like this happened to my old car, I would always shrug it off. Part of me is regretting buying the new car; it would have been easier on me to buy a nice used car, and not be so obsessed with it.

Thanks for reading fellas.
    Rylant

Dobber Sports Ace

Can sympathize. At some point you realize the car is depreciating in value no matter what you do, and live with scratches/dents. Heck no one else notices the small scratches but the owner after a big investment.

However sounds like you've just had a really bad run, especially since audio system should be good out of the box, and the windshield is just unlucky.
    Last edited by cdubb; March 16, 2013 at 1:09 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Ninja

Man you got dealt some shit cards with regards to this car lol...some terrible luck.

Problems with the audio system would be so irritating for me as well. I tend to invest heavily on sound quality because it means a great deal to me.

Sucks dude, I wish you some better fortune in the future with this car lol.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would say your case is a little extreme, but everyone goes through this kind of shit when they make a big new purchase.

Its like when you buy a pair of shiny new white running shoes, you try your best to keep it clean for about a month, and after a while you gradually stop giving a shit. Even with computers... you buy a brand new massive hard drive or an SSD drive... for the first couple of months you try to keep your folders organized and free of clutter, and then gradually you stop giving a shit. Or that new girl you're trying to court... you're giving it your A game for the first few months and after a while you stop giving a ... well you get it

In the end just remind yourself it's all just material shit, and whatever happens to it will have no significant bearing on your life, so it's not worth stressing.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I can totally relate. It's like drafting Corey Conacher in a low round and being ok with his so-so performance or drafting RNH in the first round and tearing my hair out cause he sucks.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion