Thread: Would Pavelec or Miller make sense for me?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Would Pavelec or Miller make sense for me?

My dear collection of goalies has made bitter. Jaro Halak, Universe Bryzgalov and Braden Holtby. At this point I'm 4th in the league in spite of these gentlemen. If they actually did anything useful I could be at the top of the standings at this point.

The goalie stats we use are Games Started, Wins, Saves, Goals Allowed, Save Percentage and Shutouts. We start two daily and in past season I've always felt the most comfortable with four starters backstopping my team even if they can be a bit tricky to optimize at times.

One owner in the league has gone out saying that he has goalies for sale but not specified which ones. He has Pavelec, Miller, Crawford, Emery and Bishop + some prospects. At first when I eyed the list I was drawn to Pavelec. He might not have the best numbers right now, but he's big and athletic, Justin Goldman is high on him and he's pretty young still. Miller on the other hand has better stats but turns 33 this year.

I haven't really considered the other goalies because I think Crawford would be too expensive for my taste and Bishop isn't established enough.

Should I go for Pavelec or Miller? How much should I be prepared to give up for them? Looking at his roster his most glaring hole is on D and that's my greatest strength.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Wizard

i like pavelec as there are rumors starting to swirl about miller and how long his stay in buffalo is likely to last and i dont think miller is actually that far above pavelec at this point and next year i expect pavelec to be even to him at worst

how much you should prepare to give up thats tough as everyone has their own idea about the value of goalies

but in a 12 team league i would expect to have to pay a high price

first thing i would likely do is find out which goalies he is actually shopping

then see if he has an idea about what he wants back positionally

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Yeah, that's how I'm looking at it as well. Goalies have traditionally been pretty expensive in this league.

Anyone else?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports All-Star

Pavelec for me, same reason why I drafted him on my team before I took Crawford. He's young and guaranteed to get a ton of starts and will be one of the league leaders for saves as well.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Ninja

I still like Miller more than Pavelec. I feel that Miller is tier two, while Pavelec is tier three. However I have been high on Pavelec for a long time...he's just not there yet.

That being said, Miller will cost more than Pavelec for sure simply due to name value.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

He put Pavs on his trade block, so I asked him about it and right now he's asking for Stepan or Phaneuf for Pavelec. Considering my weak center depth and my strong D depth, Phaneuf will be the one to go if I go for it. Right now Fantrax ranks Phaneuf as my best dman, probably because he contributes in pretty much all categories, although he has sucked in plus/minus.

Here's my reasoning. I will miss Phaneuf's PIM, hits and blocks package more than I will miss his points, because I have a high offense team and I'm middling in the peripherals. Bud my goalies have outright sucked this year and I want that fourth starter. I should go for it, right?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Pavelec is mine for Phaneuf and Cervenka. Didn't use Cervenka and will be needing to drop people as my IR guys get healthy anyway. Going to insert Petry for Phaneuf to offset the peripherals.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Wizard

thats not a bad deal for a goalie in a 12 team dynasty imo