Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: New Pope

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    "Just wow". Typical Dakkster response.

Why is it that you assume that the world's Catholic population condones the protection of these priests that was perpetrated by a few high-ranking members of the church? Do you think that the bishops and cardinals consulted their congregations before going ahead with that?

I can tell you that there are dioceses out there that were very severely damaged by the pedophile scandal and it's aftermath, all because of the actions of a few individuals. I expect most of them still haven't recovered.

But you think that the typical lay Catholic approves of and endorses the way the bishops handled it, huh? I can tell you that the ones who were actually affected by it certainly do not.
    Yes, typical because of all the times I regularly have my jaw on the floor when I read some of the stuff posted on this forum.

Also, I never said anything about the world's Catholic population. In fact, I have pointed out in this thread that it's the leadership that is corrupt. How is that reading comprehension for you? Working alright? Maybe you should have it checked out...
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Also, I never said anything about the world's Catholic population. In fact, I have pointed out in this thread that it's the leadership that is corrupt. How is that reading comprehension for you? Working alright? Maybe you should have it checked out...
    Um, when you say things to the effect that there's no room in a given era for a given religion or belief system, you are effectively laying it at the feet of the world's Catholic population. That's what I was calling you out for in my original response, that you are utilizing a broad brush on the Catholic faith.

If you applied just a little more thought to your half-baked opinions, then you wouldn't need people like me to point that out to you.

For the record, I'm not a Catholic, I'm an agnostic. But I do recognize bigotry and ignorance when I see it.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

You may not have noticed, but the esteemed secular leaders of this planet aren't getting it right, either. The things that you find offensive with religion aren't symptomatic of religion, they're symptomatic of the human condition.
    this is 100% correct

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Um, when you say things to the effect that there's no room in a given era for a given religion or belief system, you are effectively laying it at the feet of the world's Catholic population. That's what I was calling you out for in my original response, that you are utilizing a broad brush on the Catholic faith.

If you applied just a little more thought to your half-baked opinions, then you wouldn't need people like me to point that out to you.

For the record, I'm not a Catholic, I'm an agnostic. But I do recognize bigotry and ignorance when I see it.
    Haha, you're funny. A real comic. Thanks for the laugh.

Also, gnosticism/agnosticism is about whether or not you can know something or not. Are you an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Okay, so all the thousands of people recognizing the Catholic church's systematic protection of thousands of child molesters as evel are extremists and zealots. Alrighty then.
    No.

The thousands of imbeciles such as yourself calling for the abolition of said religion because of the actions of select individuals to protect their own stations, decisions that were made neither with the consultation or approval of the lay congregation, are the extremists and zealots.

Clear now?

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Get this through your thick skull: I have never called for the abolition of an entire religion, so stop putting words in my mouth, you ******.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Get this through your thick skull: I have never called for the abolition of an entire religion, so stop putting words in my mouth, you ******.
    So he'll keep up the downright heinous policy of opposing condom use in Africa? When is this ******ed (or idiotic, stupid, pathetic, archaic, stone-age, hypocritical, etc, etc) position going to be abolished? It's the 21st century. We have science. They're molesting little boys by the thousands and hiding the perpetrators. There is no place for the Vatican and the Pope in a civilized, modern society. **** 'em.
    The above is your post, correct? When you say things like "There is no place for the Vatican and the Pope in a civilized, modern society. **** 'em.", you are taking a gigantic dump on an institution that Catholics across the globe hold dear, as we have seen from the past few days. It's akin to telling a Muslim "We should just carpet-bomb Mecca. **** 'em."

Here's something you can get through your own thick skull: People aren't going to forsake their own closely-held beliefs and values just because they don't live up to your own arbitrary standards. That's simply the human condition, which you could stand to study a bit more before you burden the rest of us with your ill-considered and half-baked worldview.

I may be a "******", but I can at least recognize an ignorant bigot when confronted with one.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The above is your post, correct? When you say things like "There is no place for the Vatican and the Pope in a civilized, modern society. **** 'em.", you are taking a gigantic dump on an institution that Catholics across the globe hold dear, as we have seen from the past few days. It's akin to telling a Muslim "We should just carpet-bomb Mecca. **** 'em."

Here's something you can get through your own thick skull: People aren't going to forsake their own closely-held beliefs and values just because they don't live up to your own arbitrary standards. That's simply the human condition, which you could stand to study a bit more before you burden the rest of us with your ill-considered and half-baked worldview.

I may be a "******", but I can at least recognize an ignorant bigot when confronted with one.
    What was the point of your post? My post still stands. Don't put words in my mouth.

Yes, I'm taking a dump on something a lot of people hold dear when I say that there is no place for the Pope and the Vatican in today's society. That's on purpose and I am 100% serious about it. The Catholics that revere the Pope and the Vatican (and I know plenty who either don't care about them or think they have played out their role and should go the way of the dodo) do that because of ignorance. Ignorance of the horrific deeds the Pope and the Vatican are responsible for, like shielding pedophiles and all the other shit already brought up in this thread. The alternative is that they know about that shit and still support them, in which case those Catholics are equally despicable and inhumane people.

I despise the Vatican and the Pope to the very core of my being. They are evil. Ordinary decent catholics are good in spite of the Pope and the Vatican. If they were to be removed, I am completely convinced that Catholics and the rest of the world would be better off and I don't give two shits if I step on a few toes speaking that opinion. I like it if a few ignorant Jesusfreaks get offended when I wax poetic about the wonderful institution that is the Vatican and the papacy.

But again, I have never said that the Catholic religion should be abolished, so do not ****ing dare to put words in my mouth. That is intellectually dishonest. Then again, if you insist you are more than welcome to go ahead and continue fighting straw men.

Also, if a world view that promotes life, liberty, equal rights to all, factual correctness and that also battles ignorance and unfairness... if that world view is ill-considered and half-baked, then I will GLADLY be called ill-considered and half-baked.
    GO WINGS!

The Great One

makes no sense at all

Dobber Sports Superstar

I despise the Vatican and the Pope to the very core of my being. They are evil.
    Huh. Well, just as long as you're not taking any extremist positions or anything. LOL

By your logic, Penn State should be closed and condemned because of the actions of Sandusky and Paterno, et. al. Nothing else that could have been accomplished in that institution during their tenure could possibly have any merit or value.

So, what will we do in a decade or so after another half-dozen Sanduskys are exposed at other institutions? (And mark my words, there almost certainly will be. Other pedophiles will observe Sandusky's example and figure that he was just the idiot that got himself caught.)

I suppose at that point we can simply demonize collegiate sports, right? Or perhaps skip that and demonize institutions of higher education altogether?
    Last edited by Instant Karma; March 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Immortal

I've stayed out of this convo...but if someone has posted this I apologize!

http://memegenerator.net/instance/36120175

I for one never would have imagined that a thread about the Pope would ever have devolved in vitriolic mud throwing.

@SmittysRant