Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finally Dropped Green... Picked Up Muzzin.

Administrator

Default Finally Dropped Green... Picked Up Muzzin.

About time or right on time?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

about time

Dobber Sports Ninja

Welcome to the brotherhood...

Dobber Sports Stud

Would you drop doughty for muzzin in a 1 yr league?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
    Would you drop doughty for muzzin in a 1 yr league?
    Depends on the categories. Like if your league counts zero goals the most then do it! Heyoooo

No just kidding. I wouldn't, as I'm sure there's better options out there, but Doughty is being Doughty and you're talking to a guy that traded him away after three years of frustration.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm too stubborn to make a similar move.

Not to mention I'm not buying Jake Muzzin yet. I've hardly even heard a peep about this guy until about a week and a half ago and suddenly people are flocking to add him.

Dobber Sports Ace

Talk to me about Muzzin. Who is this guy? I'm reluctant to get too excited over a great week of production. Phillips put up a great week too, but I'm not exactly leaping over people to scoop him off the waiver wire.

I may drop Dougie Hamilton for him in my league (team in sig). Faulk and Whitney are also available.
    Last edited by kbro; March 12, 2013 at 2:19 AM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I'm too stubborn to make a similar move.

Not to mention I'm not buying Jake Muzzin yet. I've hardly even heard a peep about this guy until about a week and a half ago and suddenly people are flocking to add him.
    He's looked good in the games I've watched and the ice time is there - not to mention he's pairing with Doughty half the time. I wouldn't have picked him up if not for LA playing four games this week and Muzzin's having played ~20 minutes for the past several games. Seems like he's picking up traction on the team and the results are coming.

I have no real long term plans for him but getting rid of Green was a huge weight off my shoulders. He was my first pick in my one keeper league (8th overall) and it was really tough to let him go but he has done nothing but suck for me since the league began (2010-11 season) and it was time to cut the cord. I just wish I had been able to sell high.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    He's looked good in the games I've watched and the ice time is there - not to mention he's pairing with Doughty half the time. I wouldn't have picked him up if not for LA playing four games this week and Muzzin's having played ~20 minutes for the past several games. Seems like he's picking up traction on the team and the results are coming.

I have no real long term plans for him but getting rid of Green was a huge weight off my shoulders. He was my first pick in my one keeper league (8th overall) and it was really tough to let him go but he has done nothing but suck for me since the league began (2010-11 season) and it was time to cut the cord. I just wish I had been able to sell high.
    I see he was over a PPG in his final OHL season. He has more seasoning than Hamilton too I suppose. Also it's good to see him pairing with Doughty at ES and Doughty/Voynov for the lion's share of the PP the last few games.

I'm still not sure I'm ready to drop Dougie Hamilton for him, but maybe that's why I'm in 4th in my league instead of in 1st.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    I see he was over a PPG in his final OHL season. He has more seasoning than Hamilton too I suppose. Also it's good to see him pairing with Doughty at ES and Doughty/Voynov for the lion's share of the PP the last few games.

I'm still not sure I'm ready to drop Dougie Hamilton for him, but maybe that's why I'm in 4th in my league instead of in 1st.
    Well Hamilton's been pretty productive and the Bruins have a dense schedule going forward so I'd need to be given a real reason to make the swap.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yes, congratulations are in order here. I'm sure your quality of life has already improved. The difference is immediately noticeable.

As for Muzzin, I'm watching. I like that he's 4 years further along in his development than Hamilton, and that he's getting some prime minutes. He was dropped yesterday so he may go on a waiver claim. Not sure I'm ready to use a high waiver priority AND give up Hamilton for him yet at this point, but I'm considering.
    NHL 12 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - Crosby,Getzlaf,Granlund
    LW - Pacioretty,E.Kane,Hartnell
    RW - Backes,Simmonds,SamGagne
    D - Letang,Byfuglien,Subban,Hamilton
    G - Lundqvist,Fleury,Schneider,Bryz
    IR - Kovy

MLB 9 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA

C - C.Santana
    1B - Ortiz
    2B - Kinsler
    3B - Alvarez
    SS - Andrus
    OF - Trout,McCutchen,Kemp
    Util - Myers,Butler
    BN - Profar,Freese,Gyorko,Brantley
    SP - Price,Gio,Moore,Harvey,Miller,H.Bailey
    RP - Chapman,Frieri,K.Jansen
    DL - Beachy,Pineda

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by norrisdivision View Post
    Yes, congratulations are in order here. I'm sure your quality of life has already improved. The difference is immediately noticeable.

As for Muzzin, I'm watching. I like that he's 4 years further along in his development than Hamilton, and that he's getting some prime minutes. He was dropped yesterday so he may go on a waiver claim. Not sure I'm ready to use a high waiver priority AND give up Hamilton for him yet at this point, but I'm considering.
    I wouldn't just yet. I think they are at the same number of games played with like one or two points separating them. This is a nice run from Muzzin but we know how that goes for defensemen. I think Voynov was the hot guy in LA last week. Seems like it's everyone but Doughty, which would've been a great 80's sitcom but let's not get sidetracked. I just don't think you blow something like a waiver claim AND Hamilton just to take a shot at the flavour of the week. You want your flavour to be solving a problem for you and I don't think Hamilton has been a problem.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I haven't dropped Green yet, stashed him on my IR.

As for Muzzin - I'm not sold yet.
    Head over to NHL.com and watch his 5 goals.
    Just click "video".

Muzzin is consistently flicking things on net. It's not even a clean shot often, seems to go end-over-end sometimes. He likes to put it high corners - which has been working.
    Yup, it's going to go in occasionally... and his 5 goals on 35 shots translates to a 14% shooting percentage, which puts him top 10 among defensemen. Sustainable - nope.
    Typically, defensemen (not named Karlsson) who are mostly releasing points-shots will score at about 5%. An excellent lucky season for defensemen will come in around 10%. (Kronwall, Garrison last year)

Muzzin is also playing mostly the left D spot and he's a left-handed shot, which isn't ideal angle for a scoring defenseman.

I think he's had several seeing eye pucks.
    I will say that he appears to have a good hockey-sense at avoiding an approaching defender and using their body as a screen. Is this really his intention though?

Overall, from playing hockey growing up - I never remember a coach that was fond of seeing his defensemen shooting for upper corners from the point. Very few rebounds.

I don't know... he looks a little bit "clunky" out there.
    I'll be surprised if long-term he's better than the wonky Mike Green.
    We'll see.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; March 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wink

While I don't have Green to drop (thank God)... I'm just not ready to anoint this kid yet. But I expect to see more in Stud's and Dud's and various other critique articles. I wait to be convinced on or off the ice!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    While I don't have Green to drop (thank God)... I'm just not ready to anoint this kid yet. But I expect to see more in Stud's and Dud's and various other critique articles. I wait to be convinced on or off the ice!
    That's why I'm preaching caution to anyone seeking to drop someone productive for Muzzin.